“Great wings, enjoyable night!”

The First Ward House
Ranked #28 of 220 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I decided to go to The First Ward House after driving past it several times and then reading the reviews here. I am a sucker for a great wing! Well, they didn't disappoint! When I arrived, I was greated by a really nice bartender, Eileen or Elaine? I think. Regardless, she was really welcoming. Asked her if the wings were as good as everyone says, and of course she said yes. The wings come in several degrees of heat, from naked all the way up to Death. I went with the medium for my first try. Let me tell you about the wings. First and foremost, they are SMOKED! The flavor of the meat is amazing, forget the sauce you don't need it!!! Perfect flavor, right amount of that smoky flavor. YUM! The medium sauce did not have any heat at all to me. Next time I'm going up a couple of notches.Their fries are great as well, natural cut and cooked perfectly with a tasty salt mix on them.

Inside the bar area, there was a jazz jam session going on that had some really good musicians participating. I went outside on the back deck to enjoy the nice weather while I ate. Large deck, fun lights, and great food - who could ask for more on a summer's evening!!

2  Thank Tlsenn
There are newer reviews for The First Ward House

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Traditional bar food with a twist, almost everything is made in house. Their smoked fall of the bone wings are incredible, especially when paired with the smoked beer battered onion rings. With about 75 different bottled beers, you will have to visit more than once.

1  Thank beba_ds
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I tried First Ward House for the first time since the new owners took control of the property, and I was very, very impressed. The building has been greatly improved with a fantastic atmosphere, new menus, and great new owners who are passionate about what they do. I went with a group of four, and we all got something different. I tried everyone elses food, and loved all of them! Not to mention, the bar had great specials, and my server brought me a new beer which is now my favorite! They are doing great things with the historical building and restuarant, and i see this place quickly climbing this trip advisor list to being top 5! LOCAL FAVORITE! Go and try it, you will love the specials, food, live music, and history!

4  Thank Serena E