“Neat house, food not so much”
Review of Barbosa's Castillo

Barbosa's Castillo
Ranked #18 of 215 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Kansas City
“Neat house, food not so much”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

"Different then any other Mexican restaurant"...that's is true. I don't understand the appeal. I know the house is really beautiful and the service was fine but...the food is nothing but poor. If you like corn tortilla's in your Mexican food, forget it. Every thing is made out of deep fried flour tortilla's. The enchilada's were so lacking in filling that I couldn't tell which was cheese and which was chicken. The taco was flavorless as was the tostada....except for the deep fried flour tortilla. The only thing that really was quite good was the tamale. Talk about some filling. Otherwise....I just don't understand the attraction. This place has NOTHING to do with authentic Mexican food. As far as liking "cheap chips out of a bag".....no, I like chips that aren't flour tortillas. The 'texture' you are experiencing is deep fried greasy heavy flour tortillas. Just Yuck!!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jewels1111

Kansas City, Missouri
“Love the food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This place was great! The staff was very pleasant and on top of things. I absolutely loved sitting in the old castle house looking out the window. Going upstairs to the restrooms I felt like I was exploring the old home and it was lovely. The food was absolutely amazing and different than any other Mexican restaurant I've been to. I recommend getting the ultimate nachos for the appetizer, the chips have an incredible texture and the people writing the bad reviews on them must like cheap tortilla chips out of a bag which is what most restaurants give you! I had enchiladas which were the best I've ever had and my husband liked his fried tacos. I will definitely be back here soon!

• Visited November 2013
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Excellent food and a pleasant place”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Barbosas served the best food that I have received at a Mexican restaurant and the service is very good. I also enjoy dining in the old red stone mansion.

Visited October 2013
Savannah
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My Wife and I enjoy going to Barbosa's the food is always good and it is alway a delight to eat at the Castillo (Moss Mansion)

• Visited August 2013
Morrison, Colorado
“Memories of childhood.”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My family always stopped here when we came to town when I was a kid, so of course I had to bring my family here. I enjoy the food 9especially the tacos), and the chips and guacamole are a hit with my kids. Not a five star eatery, but a great place to eat!

Visited June 2013