“Food should be hot”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife and I really look forward to having a nice meal at a nice steakhouse on our birthday. This was it. [We thought] When we spend the kind of money that we do for one meal, it should at least come out of the kitchen hot. When we made the owner aware of this luke warm food she acted put out and ignored us. No offer to reheat, no apology. No thanks Hoof and Horn.

1  Thank BSHarris1111

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This place is a long-standing institution in St. Joseph... and has had a good reputation over the years. However, on our most recent visit, the ambiance is not so good. For the prices they charge, I expect a little more than "diner style" service. You can get just as good, or even a better meal, at other restaurants in St. Joseph with MUCH better atmosphere and friendlier, more elegant service. I doubt that we'll be back unless things change. It's just too high-priced for the overall package.

1  Thank dsandy
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went to Hoof & Horn while in St.,Joseph, after days of not finding a good restaurant.
Our search continues.
First of all, Hoof & Horn needs a little updating. When walking up to the door it was hard to tell if it was open - or had been closed for 30 years. Inside and out are shabby - and I don't mean "shabby chic". It appears that nothing has changed here in many years, including the black vinyl tablecoverings.
We both odered the "Wild Sockeye Salmon", something we love after a few trips to Alaska to fish. What we were served was neither; Wild, or Sockeye. We paid $17.99 for PINK Salmon, something we can get in any grocery store - cheap. To top it off, mine was badly undercooked. When a server came and asked if she could remove my plate, I responded "yes, the fish isn't done, so I guess I am". No comment from the server. We both ordered rice, which was undercooked - and asparagus - overcooked.
Service was so - so, the place is run down, and the food was misrepresented and poorly cooked.
What a disappoinment.
Foodies - stay away from St. Joe, MO! .

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Took 2 new co-workers to lunch for a meeting. They loved the prime rib thought it was the best that they have had. They were excited about the twice baked potato and fresh rolls. Staff always friendly.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stopped by and had dinner last evening and the food and the service was as good as it was twenty five years ago when I lived in St. Joe and was at Mo West University. I had the big cut of the Prime Rib and it was juicy, tender and served medium rare perfectly. The green beans were great and the twice baked as good as I have had. Service was excellent--just enough checking to refill drink glasses and see that the food was satisfactory. It was an thoroughly enjoyable dining experience.