“Great Friday evening German Buffet”
Review of Cabbage Roll

Cabbage Roll
Ranked #4 of 214 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: WE ARE OPENED MON--FRI--11 TO 2 DINNER BUFFET FRIDAY NIGHTS 5 TO 7 RESERVATIONS ARE NEEDED FOR FRIDAY NIGHTS CLOSED SATURDAY & SUNDAY
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Great Friday evening German Buffet”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We have travelled extensively and enjoy authentic German cuisine, and this small, locally owned and operated restaurant was great. Food was as near authentic as I have had anywhere, and the service was wonderful. Friday evening reservations are really a must as they are quite popular. If you really like German cuisine, this is probably the best in the Midwest. Beverages, including their own blend of coffee, are included, as well as a dessert bar. Their buffet menu changes every Friday, and you can contact them to find out what is being served in coming weeks. Enjoy......

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Arobat

Atlanta, Georgia
“Super Choice, Super Value”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stopped for lunch at The Cabbage Roll and are so glad we did. Lunch for two cost less than we would have paid for two of the usual fast food combo meals. Best of all, it tasted so good! We had a combo plate with a Polish sausage, pierogi, and stuffed cabbage plus two sides. Yum! A variety of sandwiches and salads are also offered at very reasonable prices. Lunch was so filling that we had no room left to sample any of the beautiful homemade desserts. Service was friendly and efficient. Take time to look at the knick-knacks, and be sure to mark your hometown with a pushpin on the USA map.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Weasel78
Nyesville, Indiana, United States
“The Cabbage Roll”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I suspect the real draw to this restaurant is the warm friendly waiter/owner/chefs. The fellows were friendly and interested and clearly wanted you to be happy with your meal. As for the posts mentioning the neighborhood-I thought it was charming and love the neighborhood vibe.

Stopped in St Joe specifically to eat at this restaurant as we like German food. We arrived on a Friday and made reservations for the buffet (as advised...). The buffet had lentil soup (ok), schweinbraten (hmmmmm schwein means pork, right?), pierogies, pork and apples, polish sausage (Polish sausage--thought maybe any wurst), cheezie (their spelling) potatoes, sour kraut (again their spelling).

The Polish sausage was good but not presented well--maybe mixed with the kraut and we could have called it something. The kraut was tasty I will say and the potatoes were real potatoes or tasted like it so it's the same thing, right? Not sure the schweinebraten was in fact schwein. Just okay. Nothing you might shout "ach die lieber" over ;)

There was a big table with lots of desserts, small portioned which I think is a great idea--those folks who want more can take more. Also had ice cream in a cooler that you could help yourself to. It was a little peculiar but what the heck I like quirky.

I think the "German" food is a stretch but then we noticed the menu changes monthly and other Germany dishes are advertised.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Sharon E
“Hole in the wall German restaurant worth the visit”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Great food in this interesting atmosphere. Definitely a local favorite. Worth checking the weekly specials for a variation on all sorts of cuisine. My favorites are pirogues, chili and cheeseburgers.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Djpoll
Odessa, MO
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We went on Friday for the buffet and it was obvious they have loyal regulars. I'd recommend reservations. I liked almost everything, but my wife not so much. I liked the meat pie, pierogies, potato salad, even the breast with German mustard. My wife liked the cabbage roll--the one thing I didn't care for. The buffet includes drinks and a desert bar. They have an 8-blend coffee (8 flavors in one pot). She loved that, me not so much!

• Visited June 2013