“The (surprisingly) real thing”

Oriental Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 215 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Springfield, Oregon
“The (surprisingly) real thing”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I halfheartedly agreed to try this place after disappointing meals at two other "Chinese"-American restaurants when we moved to town. To my surprise, the flavors were bright, the textures were right, the service was competent and friendly. The hot and sour soup is actually both hot AND sour, unlike others around the Belt. The ma po tofu is hot and red and redolent of Sichuan peppercorn. The beef served with snow peas has been masterfully "velvet" blanched, a finer point of Chinese technique that delivers meltingly tender meat. General Tso is ably represented here with crispy, sweet-hot saucy bits of chicken, not mucked up with a lot of vegetables. What vegetables there are, both as garnish and in the center of the plate, are crispy and tender and wonderfully seasoned with wok hei and à point sauces. The jalapeño beef is spectacular. Rich pure flavors and crispy tender textures. Peppers that are almost too hot. The server remembers us because we eat rice from our empty soup bowls with chopsticks.

The moon-gate interior is a little too elegant for me; I'm a believer in the Law of Chinese Restaurant Décor -- "the more décor, the worse the food." Luckily, in this case the food beats the odds. This is the best Chinese food in town, hands down, at reasonable prices, and ably served with a smile.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank effex

lacygne
“Very nice”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Headed home, stopped in St. Joe, found this on "Where". Very nice place, good food, very helpful staff. Great rangoons. Enjoyed every bit of the experience.

• Visited September 2012
Camano Island, Washington
“Best chinese in the Joe by far!”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Twice cooked pork and sesame chicken are the best go to entrees here. They have a different style of hot and sour soup. They usesambal to flavor so be ready for a kick! My wife loves it but I go for the wonton soup. Staff is very nice, they always make us feel at home.

Los Angeles, California
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Excellent food. The restaurant is much nicer inside than it looks from the outside. I was hesitant to stop there, but the food quality was excellent. The saki was very nice. I would eat there again when I am in the town.

• Visited September 2011
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Really good Chinese food - Dinner better than lunch”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I have eaten both lunch an dinner here and dinner is always amazing while lunch is just pretty good standard chinese food. I don't know if they have a different chef for dinner and lunch but that is the way it is. Specials for lunch are fast and inexpensive so that helps me get back to work on time.

For dinner the pork egg foo is the best I have ever had and their crab Rangoon actually has crab in it and is really tasty. The sauces are really good and you can tell everything is made fresh. No stickness to it like you get when Chinese food sits out for a while.

The plum wine is good too.