“Pretty bad”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Pretty bad”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I wanted to try this out for myself, even though I had read the reviews. As a drilling reservist (National Guard), I don't get reimbursed for my hotel, so I decided to try and save a little bit of money this time - bad move. I called to ensure (after I had made my reservation) that I was in a non-smoking room. Apparently, it doesn't really matter. I thought, when I got in the room, that maybe the staff and been smoking in it. Nope, the smoke comes directly in to the room(s) from the smoking rooms above (don't know if it happens to every room, but assume so). It was disgusting. Now, all of my uniforms stink, as do I and everything I took with me for that weekend.I'm not that picky, but the room was disgusting. I leave too early to try out the breakfast, so I cannot speak for that aspect of the hotel. I will NOT stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J H
abvistjosephmo, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the door from where smoke enters in Nonsmoking room and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Estevan, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I m from canada and i m over whelmed by services provided by Americas best value inn, during christmas holidays in st joseph mo... Services are very good and friendly environment ... Rooms are very clean and hygienic... Wonderful breakfast and laundry facilities... I also got coupon of 10% discount in Dennys restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Raj B
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Actually had to walk out of this place it was that bad. We had driven 600 miles and needed a couple hours sleep......couldn't do it. The bed was like a hammock and the smell was a cross between dog, cigarettes and mold/mildew. One lamp out of the three worked....the rest of the bulbs were burned out. The Wi Fi was not usable once connected....the signal was too poor and the speed was less than dial-up. The sound of mice running through the room was the last straw. At 2 AM when we advised the desk that this was the worst room ever, the attendant didn't even ask what was wrong. He just gave us a website to go to to complain.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave D
abvistjosephmo, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the ABVI Lake St.Joseph during your recent visit to our area and appreciate the review.

We are cross checking the entire points and regret the inconvenience howsoever.

We have engaged a professional team for regular cleaning with a strict instruction to check the rooms and amenities of the room before checking in a new guest.

We request you to make a note of our efforts and consider staying with us in future and have a new satisfactory experience.

Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stopped here as a quick overnight on a cross country move. We hadn't planned ahead & booked online 15 minutes before pulling in. We should hae dropped the extra $10-20 to go somewhere else. As soon as we pulled in there was a man (who was staying in the hotel) wandering the parking lot drinking beer without a shirt on. Nice welcome!

The desk clerk was nice but hopeless, the rooms were clean, in theory, but old, worn out & gave you the feeling that it was probably gross. The breakfast was adequate if I'm being generous - imagine 30% of what's offered at a standard continental breakfast & you get the idea.

Can you stay here? Sure. Will you enjoy it? Probably not. But if you just need a place to crash for one night, it's acceptable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsey M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for staying with the ABVI and taking the time to write the review.

We have checked each of the points of observation.

Nevertheless we have taken each of the responsible department to task to ensure that there is no chance to have any negative comment next time.

We hope you would appreciate our efforts and do visit us to confirm this.

You will find your next stay a really nice experience.

Port Orange
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I called while on the road to make a reservation. The price was $80 plus tax which I knew was high. The room was okay, but no extras. No iron or ironing board; no hair dryer. Guess I would have had to ask if I needed either. The breakfast they offered was pathetic. They were out of milk and had been for most of the morning. I had to drag the front desk guy away from his I-Phone to ask him for coffee creamer. He was the only one there. His dress was totally inappropriate--torn jeans and wrinkled tee shirt.

Room Tip: Don't stop here.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JanetT1817
Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for staying at the ABVI Lake Saint Joseph during your recent visit to our area.

We also appreciate your review and observations.

We have taken all the steps to ensure that our guests get the best services and hospitality during their stay. The front desk staff has been given additional training.

We plan to totally renovate the property very soon and the point related to breakfast also is being taken care of.

We invite you once again to choose our hotel again and feel the new experience of hospitality.

Independence, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Room smelled, outdated, no credit card machine used carbon copy swipe machine. Charged extra 100 because said someone pissed the bed. It was myself, wife, 12 year old and 10 year old all who havent pissed a bed since they were 2 still wearing diapers. When called they had no proof just said something was wet on mattress and they had to close room for day. DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Steven S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the ABVI and the review.

We are investigating the issue of the extra charging and have taken appropriate steps towards redressing the same.

We will offer you the best hospitality. So please do visit us again.

Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here because they were pet friendly and the Hampton Inn is not. Bed was clean, staff friendly, hair dryer in bathroom had been removed and staff were aware of it. Breakfast was awful, milk was sour, the waffle mix was empty and they didn't have much else. Hotel is very dated. Spend a little extra and go somewhere else.

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Woodwarrior
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and observations.

We have taken steps to check and ensure that the overall amenities of the rooms are perfect before checking in a new guest.

The housekeeping staff has been given additional training to maintain the best cleanliness of the rooms and the property as well.

We are totally improving the breakfast.

We invite you once again to the ABVI during your next visit