“Lots of pretty, little function”

Radisson St. Joseph
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Pacific, Missouri
“Lots of pretty, little function”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I must first temper my review with the fact that it's been a long 100+ degree day outside. As far as appearances go this is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed at. The rooms are spacious and well kept. The bathrooms have real tile and are large enough that you don't feel like you're in a hotel. The TV is nice and has upwards of 70 channels to choose from. The pool area is spectacular and the gym is nicely furnished for a hotel.

That being said, here's the bad news. Again, it's 100 degrees outside (literally), my A/C unit is on full blast and it's at best 80 degrees in this room. I don't know if it's the room we're in (right next to the black tar roof) generating too much heat for the A/C or if the unit just needs service, but either way, I will not put up with this much longer. As my colleague and I walked through the lobby we overheard the front desk attendant conversing with someone about moving rooms, presumably for the same reason.

In lieu of a breakfast area there is a, in my opinion, relatively overpriced restaurant/bar which seems to be the new norm for Holiday Inn's. 10+ dollars for a meal that I can get at any real restaurant with real service for less than 6 is crazy.

If you're in the area there's not a lot to choose from, this is a decent place to stay, you just might want to check your AC and either bring your own breakfast or plan on staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Check your AC. Bring either lots of money for eating from here, bring your own, or plan on going els...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
janice_keith, General Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for the kind comments concerning our hotel. The spacious rooms and real tile, I feel are an attribute. I also enjoy the real tile in the bathrooms. It takes extra effort and work to make them shine. I remember your date of stay very well, it was well over 100 degrees and every air conditioner was working full throttle. I apologize to you the lack of efficiency. All of our room units are involved in a periodic maintenance program on a regular basis. I am sorry to say that I really have to input into the pricing structure of the restaurant. It is leased to a third party company. Please be assured however, that your price value perception will be forwarded to the management of that company for consideration. Again, I'm so sorry for the air conditioning issue and am confident in stating that it has be corrected. Thank you, Chuck Douglas, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We checked in after 10:00pm, and it was quick and easy--everything in perfect order. The across the street parking was fine, but could be an issue during busier traffic. Everything worked, the room was clean, and the staff I met was helpful and friendly. As a one stop on our way up I-29, it was fine. Really easy to find from the highway. Since I had no plans to check out the local points of interest, nor to eat anything special, I have no idea about such. If you need an easy place in St, Jo, this works well.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel was a nice Holiday Inn but don't let the riverfront location fool you - you can't actually see the river. Elizabeth was very nice and helpful to locate a restaurant for us that was open and close by.
There are no complaints but this hotel is ready for some updating. I really liked the coffee and nutri grain/granola bars we were able to grab on the way out.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexasTravelerIV
LE MARS
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Yes, this place is close to the river, and our room on the 4th floor was facing toward the river. However, the view was less than spectacular. The only thing that can really be seen is the stacked interstate roads.

The rooms are OK. The beds were comfortable and the flat panel tv offered plenty of channels. The carpet was in need of being replaced and the drain on the shower could not keep up with the water coming in.

The public areas on the main floor are very appealing and it was nice having fruit, granola bars and hot tea/coffee available for free in the morning.

Location-wise, it is probably convenient if you are doing anything downtown. Seemed like everything we would do/go to eat would be on the other side of town.

Overall, this place is OK if you can get a deal on it.

1 Thank KYLE H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear KYLE H,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to see that you found our rooms comfortable and location convenient. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for a family wedding. The hotel does not look like much from the outside but the inside has been redone and is beautiful. The staff of the front desk were very good- friendly and helpful - Loved the complimentary coffee/tea and snacks in the lobby during the day.
The housekeeping was hit or miss. Our room was made up each day in a timely manner but I don't think the bathroom floor was mopped or swept our whole stay since there was a piece of thread on the floor all 3 days that I must've dropped the first night when cutting tags off a dress. The bar and restaurant were nice. Service was slow, though, never seemed to have enough servers or bartenders. We had a very large group (@40 people) staying from out of town and they had one bartender on the night of the rehearsal dinner when we returned to the hotel on a friday night at 900 pm and 2 waitresses the morning after the wedding for breakfast. We were not the only people in the hotel so service on both of those occasions was very slow. The waitstaff was very nice and apologetic and the food was good so more staff would've been helpful.
Overall, we had a great stay and I would go again, I just hope they can improve on the two minor service issues.

Room Tip: Stay in an odd numbered room - better view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
LakeGal2010, Director of Sales at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
The Holiday Inn Riverfront would like to thank you for your review. You are correct that this past weekend the restaurant was short staffed. Our occupancy more than doubled we are guessing due to weather. We were very gald to see all the extra guests but were unable to call-in extra staff on such short notice. We hope that if you return we will be able to serve you better.
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The lady at the front desk was very helpful and extremely nice. The location of this hotel was easy to get to. We were only here for a few hours so I cannot comment on the food. The hotel itself was pretty clean. The only thing I can really complain about is something that they have very little control over because it is a smoking hotel, it smelled like cigarette smoke in some places. Now for our room, beds were pretty comfortable. We had two queens. It was cold outside and the heater worked good. My ONLY complaint about the room was the mildew in the shower on the walls and the dirty washcloth that was left hanging on the shower rod. Not a whole lot to complain about here. I got it through priceline and received about a 10% discount which was nice.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Normally when you think of a Holiday Inn, upstair doesn't normally cross your mind, at least it doesn't for me -- comfort, nice and moderate are things that pop into my mind...

This particular Holiday Inn, in the downtown area of St. Joseph, MO is very elegant. The rooms are remodeled to Holiday Inn standards as well.

We were greeted and offered snacks on arrival. Rooms were ready and nicely setup.

Quiet evening overall -- we didn't get a chance to check out the pool due to the late arrival.

Word of caution -- downtown St. Joseph has lots of one way streets that turn into two way and two ways turning into one ways -- be careful, as you have to make several turns around these types of streets from the highway to get to the hotel -- not the hotel's fault, just the nature of the downtown area...

Room Tip: High floor rooms can offer a nice view of the St. Joseph area - nothing exceptional, but unique city...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family