“Convenient location for stop-over.”

Radisson St. Joseph
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Nashville, Tennessee
“Convenient location for stop-over.”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was a nice place to stay. Right downtown and on the interstate. Friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable bed. The room was set up nicely for a stay with a king bed and lounging area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
West Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I found St. Joseph itself to be a confusing town, and the Holiday Inn followed suit. I couldn't tell if the town was in a downward spiral, or if it's on the comeback trail. The area near I-29 seems to be pretty up to date and new, yet there are some good sized strip malls and an indoor mall that sit mostly empty; not sure if the buildings are new and looking for tenants, or if hey have moved on.

This hotel however is on the west side of town near the river. The area it's in is pretty old, rundown, and beat up; we weren't sure if we should feel safe walking around or not. We stayed here for a National softball tournament and picked it because A) the tournament was being run out of it (meetings, bat checks, etc.) and B) you couldn't beat the proximity to the complex (the highway on and off ramps are right behind the hotel) just a 5 min ride away.

The hotel itself has a nice lobby, hallways, meeting rooms, restaurant/bar, pool/hot tub/sauna, but the rooms themselves were the confusing part.

Not sure if they're due to be renovated, or had been and the workmanship was just shotty. Some of the walls were a bit springy if you bumped into them. We figured there might have been a doorway to an adjoining room that had been closed off. The tile work in the bathroom was tough; some grout missing and cracking both on the floor and in the shower/tub. Our toilet ran constantly (we let them know about it) and the microwave was stuck on 29 seconds. Ultimately it worked just fine, like I say, it was just a confusing place, but we would definitely stay there (for a tournament) again.

The staff was great, everyone we dealt with was super nice. The restaurant, while not free/continental, had really good breakfasts that were very reasonable (particularly the special). They had both a buffet and a regular menu to pick from, and on Labor Day they were closed, yet still put out a nice little (free) spread for the guests which was great!

The bar was very good to us as well. We were all in there watching our hometown college team play football vs a much higher touted opponent. Our team ended up upsetting them, and you can imagine how rowdy/loud it was after the game as well as during. They never had a problem with us at all, although if you're spending the kind of money that a softball team can in their bar I doubt there going to say too much!

Overall I would stay here again. Maybe not for a family vacation or a stopover, but for a softball tournament absolutely!

Room Tip: Don't stay here looking for good views. It says riverfront, but the river is hard to make out p...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Kyle A,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

On business again.Needed a hotel halfway between work (Auburn, NE) and Kansas City. This Holiday Inn jumped out to me. The adjacent restaurant seemed like a nice touch as well. I got in late on a Thursday night and was greeted by a very friendly staff. They even had a goodie bag (water and a bunch of carb loaded snacks).

My room was on the 6th floor. Not much of a view, but the intent was nice. Upon entry I found a spacious room with a comfortable king size bed, flat screen TV, mini-fridge, microwave, desk and a couch with coffee table. Plenty of room to move around. Bathroom was also spacious and clean. The closet area was slighthly cramped only because they had stored extra linens (presumably for the hide-a-bed) in this area.

The exercize room was somewhat small, clean, but had decent equipment. They also had an ample supply of cold water in bottles.

Location is acceptable and easy to get to. I didn't see much around other than the civic center. However, Ieft daily at 5am and didn't return until 8pm, so you'll have to explore on your own.

The restaurant is another story. I only had dinner there 1 night. The bar was busy. Restaurant area was not. Was this somthing to be aware of? The online reviews seemed good. The service was decent; however, I can tell you that this was the worst meal I have ever eaten (even the Army was better). Guaranteed I'll not eat there again.

Overall, my stay was good. Just find another restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
janice_keith, General Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for the thorough review. It is very much appreciated and taken to heart. The review of the hotel falls under my domain and any issues noted I assure you will be corrected. The restaurant of the hotel is leased to a third party, unfortunately, the only assistance that I may provide to you is to give the management of the facility a copy of the review. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will provide you with information that will provide you will follow up from their management.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I drove out from Kansas to see a band at the Trails West festival- the hotel was within walking distance, which was nice and we even saw a couple of band members who were staying in the hotel with us. We went to the lobby bar after the show where the bartender was very attentive and helpful when we asked about local restaurants to check out for breakfast. The front desk was friendly and the bed was comfy. Overall a very pleasant and convenient experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I hope that you enjoyed Trails West as much as you did the hotel. Hope to see you next year as this festival continues to grow and becomes more and more successful.
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I took our 2 kids to St. Joseph to check out the Chiefs training camp. We stayed at the Holiday Inn to make a mini vacation out of the trip. We found a great deal on the room using Priceline. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The only thing that didn't work in our room was the telephone. I didn't realize it until I was going to call the front desk to ask a question. It was late and we were about to turn in, so I didn't request maintenance, but alerted the front desk upon check out the next morning. The riverfront view is obstructed, as others mentioned, but I still thought it was a nice view. And I didn't stay here to just gaze out of the hotel window. The pool area is really nice, my kids had a blast swimming! We ate at the restaurant in the lobby for dinner and breakfast the next day. I found the prices to be fair, and similar to any other bar & grill (a la Applebee's). My dogs were even able to stay for a $25 pet fee (which is fair and reasonable, and significantly cheaper and less stressful on them than boarding). We had a great stay; my 5 year old even cried as we were leaving because she said she wanted to live at the hotel forever. If you're looking for a budget conscious place to stay for a family trip, look no further, this is your place.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so very much for your great review. I hope you and the family enjoyed the Chief's training camp. We're ready for a better season. I followed up on the telephone issue and thanks to you it was corrected the same day for our next guest. Thanks again, and hope to see you at training camp next year, following a better win-loss record.
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Love this hotel. Our first visit far exceeded our expectations. If there is a list of "Best Central Business District Hotels priced around $100", this Holiday Inn would rank high. The service and hospitality attitude is top notch. The pool area is beautiful, with palms, plenty of tables and chairs, towels, etc. Our room (#625 King) was very nice, fully updated and pleasantly furnished. FREE Parking is as convenient as any suburban hotel-just outside the lobby. The Priority Club welcome gift bag is very generous and thoughtful.

The hotel may be older, but it is well maintained and up to date overall. It's not a classic hotel, but in time may well be. Downtown hotels have always fascinated me, and this one will be competitive for as long as its management keeps investing in the building and keeps the current "at your service" attitude. We will return and recommend.

We stay in $100/day hotels approximately 5 days a month year round, and this one is now one of our favorites. Wish we were in St Joe more....

Room Tip: Highest floors have some river view, but the attraction here is St Joe itself.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 79601
Pacific, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I must first temper my review with the fact that it's been a long 100+ degree day outside. As far as appearances go this is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed at. The rooms are spacious and well kept. The bathrooms have real tile and are large enough that you don't feel like you're in a hotel. The TV is nice and has upwards of 70 channels to choose from. The pool area is spectacular and the gym is nicely furnished for a hotel.

That being said, here's the bad news. Again, it's 100 degrees outside (literally), my A/C unit is on full blast and it's at best 80 degrees in this room. I don't know if it's the room we're in (right next to the black tar roof) generating too much heat for the A/C or if the unit just needs service, but either way, I will not put up with this much longer. As my colleague and I walked through the lobby we overheard the front desk attendant conversing with someone about moving rooms, presumably for the same reason.

In lieu of a breakfast area there is a, in my opinion, relatively overpriced restaurant/bar which seems to be the new norm for Holiday Inn's. 10+ dollars for a meal that I can get at any real restaurant with real service for less than 6 is crazy.

If you're in the area there's not a lot to choose from, this is a decent place to stay, you just might want to check your AC and either bring your own breakfast or plan on staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Check your AC. Bring either lots of money for eating from here, bring your own, or plan on going els...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
janice_keith, General Manager at Radisson St. Joseph, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for the kind comments concerning our hotel. The spacious rooms and real tile, I feel are an attribute. I also enjoy the real tile in the bathrooms. It takes extra effort and work to make them shine. I remember your date of stay very well, it was well over 100 degrees and every air conditioner was working full throttle. I apologize to you the lack of efficiency. All of our room units are involved in a periodic maintenance program on a regular basis. I am sorry to say that I really have to input into the pricing structure of the restaurant. It is leased to a third party company. Please be assured however, that your price value perception will be forwarded to the management of that company for consideration. Again, I'm so sorry for the air conditioning issue and am confident in stating that it has be corrected. Thank you, Chuck Douglas, General Manager