“One-of-a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 253 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Kansas City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“One-of-a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

You kind of feel like you're in a Harry Potter movie when you come to this place. It's got elements of old and new, dark and light, mystery and adventure.

There isn't much I could add to the other positive reviews here, except to say they're all true. One additional thing worth noting is the museum's restored Wurlitzer theater organ, which features several ranks of pipes as well as drums, a player piano, and all the other bells and whistles you'd expect from a theater organ. On the day I visited with my 7-year-old daughter, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to play it, as well as listen to a true theater organist play the instrument. I was in heaven, being a church organist myself and being in the presence of this monster instrument. It was a good experience for my daughter to help "broaden her musical horizons."

Visited March 2011

• Korean first
Gaston
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Interesting - not your normal museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

My wife saw this place and wanted to go during a rainy day. I was suprised to see it is not just a museum, but it is also a large inside and outside adventure playground for young and old. You just have to see this place to understand how it works.

They also have many old and varied building relics along with some other normal museum type exhibits on one of their floors that would take a few hours to enjoy.

There are a few different places to eat and drink inside the City Museum as well as sit and catch your breath from all of the excitement. There is also a hugh vertical room ( 10 to 12 stories tall) that includes an old theater organ from the days they did not have sound on movies. They play the organ (most of the time through the use of a computer) every 15 -20 minutes. IT SOUNDS GREAT!

The entry charge seemed a little steep at first, but when I realized this is a work still in process, I thought of my money as going to help building a place to be enjoyed for many years to come.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank GastonBicyclist
Olathe, Kansas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Be a kid again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This place is fun everywhere you look. It is not a bright colors and characters kind of place. It is a very old warehouse that has been turned into a playground of sorts for all ages. Our first trip was my husband and I (before children) and we had so much fun. An employee told us that everything in City Museum has had a life before it found its way there, so every slide, tunnel, piece of equipment and decoration is constructed from materials that used to be somewhere else. We asked for a map of the place so we could make sure we found everything and the same guy told us that they don't have maps--they encourage exploring, so we did. That first visit we were in the inside of the building and it was lots of fun. We loved the slides (even as adults). There is a slide that is maybe 2 or 3 stories that you see right when you walk in. There is a spiral slide that I believe is 10 stories and for added fun—it’s in the dark.
Our second trip (with a toddler) was even better because we purchased the roof pass. We didn't know what we were buying, but we were pleasantly surprised. A 4-story ferris wheel on the roof (scary for me, but my 2-year old wanted to go again and again), long, fast slides, climbing structures and fountains. The highlight for my son was the old school bus that sits with its front hanging over the rooftop. Built along the outside of the building is Monstro-City, a climbing structure with slides for kids and adults. There are two old airplanes you can climb into, a crane you can climb, and more slides. The not-so-great thing about Monstro-City is that birds love them. The airplanes had a LOT of bird poop inside them, as did an area with a rope for swinging (which was on the roof). It didn't stop us from enjoying them, but it was kind of gross and we had to be careful where we sat and what we touched. My little guy also loved the outdoor ball pits. They are not fast-food ball pits…these are pits with big playground-size balls. Lots of fun. There is a separate pit for little kids because the other pit gets a little rowdy.
Other fun things: an aquarium with some of the exhibits being “touch” exhibits. (Even little sharks!) There are also full-size sharks in a big ‘pool’ and there is a clear tunnel to scoot through so you can be right next to them. There are stingrays (also a touch exhibit) and several other animals. There is an art room where kids can take a break from the physical stuff and make something with clay or make a hat (two of the options when we visited). There is a little train that is appropriate for preschoolers. Just a short little ride, but they go through a tunnel. The main floor has tree houses (they look like trees out of a haunted forest…very neat). There is a spot in the floor that goes down into a tunnel. I was curious, but it was really skinny and I wasn’t crazy about going down on my back. I also had no idea how long it was and where it came out at. Again, another chance to explore!
My word of advice is to pay attention to the date you go--the rooftop is only open seasonally. I don't know if they close the roof for rain, but I'd say it's likely. This is not the kind of place where you can let your small child run around and crawl through tubes. This place is NOT baby-proof or even toddler-proof. The climbing structures are very fun, but they are made of metal, not plastic. My 2 ½ year old had a wonderful time, but he couldn't do any of this on his own, really. This is fun for the little ones WITH a parent’s assistance.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank poktj
Murray, Kentucky
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Our FAVORITE St.Louis attraction!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I don't know how many times I've recommended City Museum to families with kids! This artistically designed indoor and outdoor "playground" is for all ages and if you can climb it, crawl into it, slither under it, squeeze through it, it is allowed! There are indoor and outdoor slides ranging from tall to stories high. Tunnels, manmade caves, nature-inspired areas to explore. every square inch is decorated with a huge array of materials. It's a feast for the eyes & day of adventure & laughter for the WHOLE family.

1 Thank LoveMyBoys314
Milwaukee, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun for all ages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We recently spent the weekend in St. Louis and visited the City Museum in downtown. We loved it. To best describe I would say a fun house made of industrial grade materials. The fun house had many slide and secret passage ways to use to navigate through the building. We stayed for about 3 hours and wanted to come back after dinner. Once you purchase an entry bracelet, $12, You are able to come and go as you please. The Museum stays open until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights.

Visited September 2011