“Truly one of the most amazing places I've ever been to”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 269 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This place was incredible - as soon as we walked in I felt like we'd won the golden ticket to the candy factory! There were so many unbelievable things to see and do. Every where you looked, was something amazingly intricate that was created from recycled materials. We could hardly stop saying "How'd they do that?" or "How did they think of THAT?!". We spent the entire day there and were filled with wonder from the time we walked in the door. Each of the kids (ages 12, 9, 3 & 8 months) had a good time climbing and crawling through all the tunnels and caves and didn't want to leave. There are many places to explore and I would suggest wearing jeans and tennis shoes at the very least to make the most of your experience. Just making your way up to the top of the 10 story slide is an adventure in itself! Our daughter had flip flops on and was running in the half pipe when her sandal caught under her and she tripped and fell hard - it just makes good sense to wear appropriate clothing and shoes to a place like this because it is meant to be EXPLORED not viewed. The word museum doesn't really even fit - there is nothing behind the glass and off limits at this place and we loved every minute!

Reviewed 26 September 2011

This place has something for all ages I am 46 and brought out the kid in me that hasn't been there for a longtime. It is to hard to explain but it has slides that are 10 stories high and all kinds of passage ways to explore. I thought it was more fun then a amusement park and you get major exercise climbing and just simply walking around the whole place that has a number of floors to it. The roof has a farris wheel and a slides a bus that hangs over the roofs edge that you can go on the fun is endless Myself and a Friend spent 4hrs there and if they weren't closing I would of sayed longer. Can't wait to go back.
During The time I was writing this I was Informed that the creator of the remarkable place had Passed away in a bulldozer accident that i terrible and I wish all his family and friend my deepest sympathy at their time of loss. The world has lost a very creative person who I'm sure has brought smile to millions of faces with his amazing vision. Thanks you put a smile on a 46 years old face and your City Museum is Amazing!!!!!! Its a MUST SEE when your in St Louis Missouri

Reviewed 23 September 2011

The City Museum is the perfect travel attraction. It is amazing, fun, beautiful, clever . . . and really cool.

No photograph could do this place justice. It is one part architectural wonder, one part museum, and about 20 parts imagination. The museum mixes together saved architectural gems, industrial scrap, color and whimsy into an amazing setting.

The first floor is huge, but even the floor is an attraction. You can follow the beautifully colored mosaic fish for about a hundred feet - until you step into the mouth of a sinuous sea monster that goes on for another 70 feet or so. If you look up you see a huge concrete whale, but if you go into its gaping mouth you come out of some sort of cave in a surrealistic forest. Dinosaurs turn into staircases, turn into light fixtures illuminating functioning gargoyles. Brightly painted metal structure let children climb around with imagination unbounded. All of this goes on through four large floors, spill outside, and extend up on the roof (where you will find a giant grasshopper, among other attractions).

Everything turns into something else like a 3-dimensional surreal dream.

The museum is stuffed with architectural pieces from buildings and factories. Some are incorporated into the magical flowing themes. Others are just there to look at. It's difficult to walk one or two steps without seeing something amazing that is either huge (buses hanging over the edge of the building, part of a jet plane, sea monsters) small (pillars covered with cogs, intricate marbles, fine carvings), or something in between.

Unfortunately, I came solo during a break on business (I still had a great time), but all of the children I saw looked like they were having a great time as well, climbing on ornate imaginative structures or just simply having fun. If you are a helicopter parent I would beware - there's no way to hover over your children here as they go off in impossible directions in excitement.

One reason I love to travel is to see unique and wonderful things. The City Museum is a unique and wonderful thing filled with with many other unique and wonderful things. I'd give myself a few hours just to explore and enjoy.

1  Thank ElaineAndGreg
Reviewed 23 September 2011

You kind of feel like you're in a Harry Potter movie when you come to this place. It's got elements of old and new, dark and light, mystery and adventure.

There isn't much I could add to the other positive reviews here, except to say they're all true. One additional thing worth noting is the museum's restored Wurlitzer theater organ, which features several ranks of pipes as well as drums, a player piano, and all the other bells and whistles you'd expect from a theater organ. On the day I visited with my 7-year-old daughter, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to play it, as well as listen to a true theater organist play the instrument. I was in heaven, being a church organist myself and being in the presence of this monster instrument. It was a good experience for my daughter to help "broaden her musical horizons."

Reviewed 23 September 2011

My wife saw this place and wanted to go during a rainy day. I was suprised to see it is not just a museum, but it is also a large inside and outside adventure playground for young and old. You just have to see this place to understand how it works.

They also have many old and varied building relics along with some other normal museum type exhibits on one of their floors that would take a few hours to enjoy.

There are a few different places to eat and drink inside the City Museum as well as sit and catch your breath from all of the excitement. There is also a hugh vertical room ( 10 to 12 stories tall) that includes an old theater organ from the days they did not have sound on movies. They play the organ (most of the time through the use of a computer) every 15 -20 minutes. IT SOUNDS GREAT!

The entry charge seemed a little steep at first, but when I realized this is a work still in process, I thought of my money as going to help building a place to be enjoyed for many years to come.

4  Thank HollandBicyclist