“My son didn't want to leave”
Review of City Museum

City Museum
Ranked #4 of 254 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We're four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there's the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge.
Cordova
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“My son didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This museum is so unique and kid friendly. There is nothng off limits which can be a little scary because you have to climb with your kids. The aquarium is worth the extra $6 but don't expect GA aquaruium thing here. It is small and a little dark but the interaction is great for the kids and the "doctor" fish was a cool part of it. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, go on the 10 story slide, in fact every slide! Have lunch outside where they cook out hotdogs and hamburgers-$6 for hot links, $7 hamburgers, alcohol available. Be careful here, they "accidently" charged my husband an extra $10 and had to pull out receipts to get a refund. They are apart of the musuem people I don't think. But it was good food as soon as we realized it wasn't actually $40 worth of hot dogs and a beer! Don't miss it!

Visited October 2011

• Korean first
Missouri
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“neat and eclectic, plan on a whole day”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We took a weekend trip with our kids in September of 2005. (that wasn't an option when I filled out this review but the place is still the same if not better) I hadn't really been to St. Louis and wanted to test the waters in experiencing a vacation with young children.

The City Museum is actually housed in the old International Shoe Building, this place is 600,000 square feet of wonder and amazement. I know I cannot do it justice with my meager description. Collection upon collection of stuff, 2 planes, construction cranes, recycles tiles that line the floors and walls, a whole floor dedicated to oddities with a real-life 2 headed snake (although this was in 2005, the snake might have died by now) the ceiling is lined with this soft ragged remnants of plastic sheeting that looks so cool. Huge old trees that have been harvested and dried are anchored in this building for kids to climb all about. This isn't for a kid who would prefer to sit and read a book. Make sure they are wearing sturdy clothes and comfortable shoes. They will be climbing, running, jumping, and having a blast. The outside of the building is equipped with a fire engine, a castle, wrought iron slinkies that are 4 foot in diameter to crawl through and a ball pit the size of a small gymnasium. They also feature man made caves with fossils, walls made from coke bottles, an arts and crafts area where you can make a mobile out of thousands of recycles CDs'. I don't have any pictures available since this was several years ago but it has still stuck in my mind as one of the coolest places that my kids have gone to. When I think of St. Louis with family, I automatically think of City Museum. Attached in the link to download a pdf brochure. The picture alone is just the tip of the iceberg in what this museum has to offer.

Visited November 2010
Charleston, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Go with children”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The City Museum is a wonderful active area for children ages 5-15. It is not of any interest for middle aged people without children or grandchildren. It was a waste of $12.00 each for my husband and I. They should have an "observation" ticket for five dollars if you do not come in with children.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank LOVINCHARLESTON
Hartford, Connecticut
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“If you don't have a good time here, then something is wrong with you!”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This place is so unique and hard to describe. The best way to put it is an adult and child playground made out of the most unusual, ingenious things. From the tunnels, slides, faris wheel, ball pit, etc there is just soo much to do and see. We were there from 6:30pm until 10:30 and had we not eaten dinner we would have stayed until it closed (at 1am on Fridays and Saturdays). Every where you turn there is a new adventure/place to explore. I recommend wearing sneakers comfortable clothing. (Don't bother bringing your purse as it will just get in the way).

Visited September 2011
illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Truly one of the most amazing places I've ever been to”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This place was incredible - as soon as we walked in I felt like we'd won the golden ticket to the candy factory! There were so many unbelievable things to see and do. Every where you looked, was something amazingly intricate that was created from recycled materials. We could hardly stop saying "How'd they do that?" or "How did they think of THAT?!". We spent the entire day there and were filled with wonder from the time we walked in the door. Each of the kids (ages 12, 9, 3 & 8 months) had a good time climbing and crawling through all the tunnels and caves and didn't want to leave. There are many places to explore and I would suggest wearing jeans and tennis shoes at the very least to make the most of your experience. Just making your way up to the top of the 10 story slide is an adventure in itself! Our daughter had flip flops on and was running in the half pipe when her sandal caught under her and she tripped and fell hard - it just makes good sense to wear appropriate clothing and shoes to a place like this because it is meant to be EXPLORED not viewed. The word museum doesn't really even fit - there is nothing behind the glass and off limits at this place and we loved every minute!

Visited August 2011