“New building!”

Museum of Transportation
Ranked #22 of 265 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit one of the largest and most diverse collections of transportation vehicles in the world! Trace the history of American railroading, see antique cars and trucks, visit a towboat, and more.
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have visited The Museum of Transportation several times over the years. My son is a huge railfan. I took three kids under 8 to Creation Station last week and they had a great time. The woman working in the room with the crafts was great with the kids. Creation Station is now in a new building. It is bright and open and the best part is they still have the great murals all over the walls. The little train wasn't running the day we were there which was a disappointment and the front desk lady wasn't really friendly but if you have anyone who enjoys trains in your life I would definitely recommend a trip here. The kids love it!

There are newer reviews for Museum of Transportation

Reviewed 30 March 2013

So many vintage trains that the big and little kids and climb on and go inside to see how they really worked in their active days. Tour guides on hand to give tours of some of the cars in the sheds and answer questions. Miniture train for the kids and family to ride on along with an interactive building for the kids. Snacks available with picinic tables outside. Also a vintage car musuem outside.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We came to the Museum for a birthday party and stayed to see the rest of the museum. The party was in the Creation Station, which was really fun for the younger ones. Our 8 and 10-year old were a little old, but they still had fun. The party assistants were really helpful and nice. Wish we had more time to explore because we didn't get to see everything. The outside trains were hands-down the best part for adults and kids. You can go inside the old cabooses and engines, and read interesting facts about how they operated. The kids loved ringing all the bells and playing with all the controls in the engines.

I would highly recommend wearing comfortable shoes, because there are hills, stairs and lots of outside walking. So, also choose a day with pleasant weather. The museum closes at 4:00 on Sundays, which seemed early to us, but we will definitely go back so we can see the stuff we missed. They add new cars and trains frequently, but I think the other exhibits need a little bit of change to keep people coming back after just one visit.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Lots of trains to see. Some you can climb on and see inside. More trains being restored. Also a car museum and a tiny train to ride on. One of my son's favorite places when he was kid.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

When I was in high school (admittedly a VERY long time ago), I volunteered at the MoT because I loved trains and old cars. Back then, they had a few cars in a plain garage and some rusted out train cars crammed together on a few sections of track.

My how times have changed! The car museum is set up to take you back to the 50's, and they even have the Bobby Darin Dream Car on display (which I got to drive about 50 feet out of the garage [!!!!]).

Your kids will love the narrow-gauge train ride and climbing on the old railroad equipment. Take the guided tour to go inside a Pullman car, a dining car, the Mr. Vanderbilt's private rail car.