“nasty treatment at a "family" attraction”

Museum of Transportation
Ranked #23 of 258 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit one of the largest and most diverse collections of transportation vehicles in the world! Trace the history of American railroading, see antique cars and trucks, visit a towboat, and more.
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“nasty treatment at a "family" attraction”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My son (3 yrs old) and I (37 yrs old) tried to go to the Creation Station together this morning. We were originally told by Rachel Myers (the "manager on Duty") that the tickets were all sold out and we could not go in. I explained that we were there to celebrate my nephew's 4 yo bday and that the bday boy was already inside with 8 of our relatives (4 of which were 5 or under). Then she disappeared from the desk for 4 minutes and left a teenage boy in charge to pass along the repeated denial of access. Then, Rachel came back, and said that we could have the one remaining ticket but that the capacity was already at 39 people and only 40 are allowed inside. She then told me that I could walk my son in through the door, but I would have to leave him in there and I would have to leave. She delivered her message with a cheerful smile and nod, clearly happy to deliver the distressing news. I said, "But he's 3. You want me to leave my son in there without a parent? For my nephew's bday?" She said, "Yes. You need to come right out."

So my son and I went inside. I stayed with him, as any parent would. No less than 5 min later, Rachel came in, found me, and the teenage assistant that was overseeing the room, they marched right up to me, and Rachel said, "I have to ask you to leave right now. You cannot stay. Your son is #40. He can stay, but there is not room for you in here." I said, "But he's 3. You want me to leave him alone in here? This is our day together to celebrate my nephew, his cousin's, bday and you want to break up our family time?" She said, "it's policy. You must leave right now." After more protesting and me trying to explain that this was a FAMILY attraction, she, with an all the while gleeful smile, forced my exit.

The man who gave us a ride on the tram was so kind and apologized profusely for her behavior. he said he has her numerous stories about her dividing families, denying access, and being too rigid. he said that he even tried to bring the issue to management, but then HE got in trouble for speaking up!

I am shocked and dismayed by the horrible treatment at a top St. Louis so-called "family" attraction. This is a terrible way to treat parents, children, families, many of whom come from out of town just to be together and see the museum. This strict "enforcer" clearly prides herself on the small power trip she enjoys by denying family time together. It is not what the spirit of this otherwise great museum and great family town are all about.

the Museum of Transportation should be ashamed of employing such an inhospitable manager and improve their policies to reflect a more family-friendly atmosphere.

Visited April 2013
12 Thank MNGeorge2013

Elkhart, Indiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Plan to spend a whole day here”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

If you're a train lover like I am then you will not be disappointed by what this museum has to offer. You enter through the visitor center and a tram transports you up a hill to where the railroad equipment is on display along with a limited display of automobiles and other equipment. Kids of all ages should enjoy their time here as well. Visited from Indiana on April 3rd.

Visited April 2013
Missouri
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“New building!”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have visited The Museum of Transportation several times over the years. My son is a huge railfan. I took three kids under 8 to Creation Station last week and they had a great time. The woman working in the room with the crafts was great with the kids. Creation Station is now in a new building. It is bright and open and the best part is they still have the great murals all over the walls. The little train wasn't running the day we were there which was a disappointment and the front desk lady wasn't really friendly but if you have anyone who enjoys trains in your life I would definitely recommend a trip here. The kids love it!

Missouri
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Place for the family outing”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

So many vintage trains that the big and little kids and climb on and go inside to see how they really worked in their active days. Tour guides on hand to give tours of some of the cars in the sheds and answer questions. Miniture train for the kids and family to ride on along with an interactive building for the kids. Snacks available with picinic tables outside. Also a vintage car musuem outside.

Saint Louis, Missouri
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great for train lovers, history geeks and kids!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We came to the Museum for a birthday party and stayed to see the rest of the museum. The party was in the Creation Station, which was really fun for the younger ones. Our 8 and 10-year old were a little old, but they still had fun. The party assistants were really helpful and nice. Wish we had more time to explore because we didn't get to see everything. The outside trains were hands-down the best part for adults and kids. You can go inside the old cabooses and engines, and read interesting facts about how they operated. The kids loved ringing all the bells and playing with all the controls in the engines.

I would highly recommend wearing comfortable shoes, because there are hills, stairs and lots of outside walking. So, also choose a day with pleasant weather. The museum closes at 4:00 on Sundays, which seemed early to us, but we will definitely go back so we can see the stuff we missed. They add new cars and trains frequently, but I think the other exhibits need a little bit of change to keep people coming back after just one visit.