“Some time away from home.”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #6 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Carbondale, Illinois
“Some time away from home.”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Moonrise is considered a boutique motel, but we find it relaxing and fun. The street is full of great art, food and history..there is always plenty to do, but it is hard to pull yourself away from the clean, quiet and smartly decorated Moonrise. The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are spotless, beautiful and comfortable, and we find ourselves just hanging out.
We only live a couple of hours from St. Louis, but we try to take a weekend every year to visit the Moonrise. We ordered room service for the meal, which was delicious and not over priced. The menu was varied, we chose Steak and frites, and the Scallops with risotto. Both arrived hot and delicious. We also like to go across the street to PI Pizza. Saturday night at PI is quite busy, but well worth the wait.
When we arrived this past weekend, The street was full of people enjoying the warmer than normal temperatures at an ice sculpting festival and a pub crawl. Everyone was smiling and having fun, we heard that there was a skateboard competition on the roof. We heard music for awhile, but we nothing considered to be disturbing. The rooms are quiet. The beds are extremely comfortable.
Thank you Moonrise for another great weekend!

1 Thank Wendy S
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
You were staying with us during the Loop Ice Carnival that we have every year in the Delmar Loop! That usually is a busy time for us and the area, but filled with great events and is much fun! Its awesome that you got to experience that! We do appreciate you all staying with us as often as you do. Also, its good to know that the experience wasn't to noisy or over crowd your experience with us. We hope you continue to choose us during your getaways to St. Louis.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Agent of Desires

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Litchfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We enjoyed a stay in one of their suites. It was really a fun place, great lounge, dining area and had a friendly staff. A little pricey though. I am told you get get special rates at certain times . St Louis is a fabulous city to visit anyhow.

Room Tip: Try to go there because it is really unusual but see if you can get a good deal as it was a bit high...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Its definitely great to know that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed our boutique space theme. If you ever decide to stay with us again, please give us a call beforehand so we can let you know of any special promotions going on. Also if you visit our website and join our Desires Program that would grant you access to even more discounts and promotions as they become available. You would be notified via email. We certainly want you to be able to take advantage of more reasonable opportunities as they arise!

Thank you for your time and consideration

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stay at the Moonrise about 15 times a year during numerous business trips to St. Louis and it has been one of my favorite hotels! Last weekend, my husband joined me for a fun weekend in St. Louis and I couldn't wait for him to see how great this place is...

After dinner Friday night, we came back to the hotel and ended up parking in one of the last spots in the public parking behind the hotel. Since they had an event going on, the parking was VERY limited and we were just happy to get a spot! When we got up in the morning, we noticed that someone had taken a drill or crowbar and put a giant hole in the driver side door of our rental car. We had to call the police, call insurance, and drive back to the airport to exchange the car. We asked to speak to the manager to gain access to the cameras that are set-up in the parking lot and found him to be very unhelpful. He told us that the hotel cameras didn't cover the area where we were parked and we could go talk to 2 other businesses and try to get help from them. I guess I was expecting a "I hate that this happened! How can I help?" and that is not at all what we got. I do understand that the lot is public parking and break-in's can happen anywhere, but I was hoping for a bit of empathy since this will be costing us a $500 insurance deductible to get the door fixed!

On top of that, there was a small dog in the room next to us who barked for HOURS. Again, I have stayed here multiple times and never had any issues with noise, but it was like the dog was IN our room. Also, a large group of people came in a little past midnight and they were screaming and yelling in the hall. It was incredibly loud and made for a night with very little sleep.

They used to (not sure if they still do...) have a special program for 'Your Desires' members and they would always leave you a snack/drink of your choice and upgrade you to a nicer room . This stopped happening for me about a year ago. I know it's not a huge deal (and it never kept me from staying there!) but it was such a nice perk, especially when you nearly live in hotels (I travel 4 days/week!).

All in all, I think it's time to look for another option when I stay in St. Louis.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heatherh5288
From the sound of things, you were staying with us on a very busy weekend. It is terribly unfortunate that you had to deal with a break in, noisy guests, as well as an annoying dog that barked continuously. I personally hate to hear that you had such an experience and the last thing I know this hotel wants to hear is that you would be looking elsewhere when you are traveling to St. Louis. Our Desires Program is still in effect, so for whatever reason you were not recognized is a mistake on our behalf. And too be quite honest considering that I am the Agent of Desires it is a mistake that I take personally. I do not want you to think that this hotel takes this matter lightly and we certainly want you to believe that we will do our best to appease. If you are ever looking for a hotel in the St. Louis area please give us a call and ask for me directly. I will ensure personally that you are better cared for.

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Wayyyyy different! Every room's a special place. It's just . . . well . . . fun! The staff is beyond helpful, the food is beyond good, the whole experience just makes you want to come back a.s.a.p.

The only problem with this hotel is that it makes me resent the "ho hum" atmosphere of the big chain hotels - even the very nice ones. I know every place can't be "different" but I'm glad to know where to go when I want "different" - The Moonrise Hotel.

Room Tip: Take any room in the place. Just being there is an experience you won't soon forget.
1 Thank James W T
We seek to provide a unique experience to all that stay with us and our theme certainly helps us achieve that. Also, we make sure that our staff understands the expectations of the hotel and we go through great lengths to make sure that our service standards are professional and trendy simultaneously. Honestly, we love hearing that "big chain" hotels seem mundane compared to us, even the nice ones! We appreciate the feedback and hopefully we see you again. Feel free to spread the good word about our establishment. We'd love to have them.

Villa Ridge, Missouri
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My family and I stayed here the other night and were so glad that we did. The hotel's decor was like something from out of this world! We were in awe of the lighting and decor. The rooms were impeccably clean and the complimentary bath/spa soap/shampoo smelled so good that I took a shower even after I already took one. What I really loved about the rooms was the sound machine, which came in handy when I had a migraine and could not sleep. The staff was so inviting and helpful when we had questions about where to go for fun. There is a restaurant there which serves absolutely yummy food. We wanted to stay another night but was sold out. We plan to go again soon because we were so impressed with this hotel. My only advise to the owner is that they get new pillows and use pillow cases for hygienic reasons. Our pillows smelled pretty bad. Well, no hotel is absolutely perfect and that was really my only complaint. We travel a lot and feel this is thus far the best hotel we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have awesome views
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jcriv7
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at our hotel. Knowing that you had a great experience is more than enough motivation for us to keep striving to achieve great success. It is unfortunate that you had the unpleasantness of a smelly pillow. Certainly that should not have been the case and we will do a better job of making sure our linen remains fresh at all times. We are pleased to know that your experience was not ruined because of that occurrence. We do hope to see you again and we appreciate your feedback.

Roswell, GA
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed at this cute, boutique property for an overnight trip to St. Louis for a friend's wedding. I am giving it 5 stars because of the attention to detail, cleanliness and friendly staff, as well as the unique styling of this (I think) one of a kind property. From the outset, even before our arrival, the service was extremely friendly and helpful! I called a couple of days in advance to request an early check-in, due to the fact that we could not arrive until the day of the wedding. I explained that we were flying in for the wedding from ATL that morning for the wedding the same afternoon and would love to be able to be in a room by noon so that we would not be forced to travel in wedding dress clothes. They were very helpful and in fact, were able to get us checked in by noon as requested! Now, I must also share that there was a block of rooms reserved for the wedding party and guests and the hotel assigned us all to the 4th floor, and, on top of that, security and privacy were assured by the fact that only those of us who were booked on the 4th floor could access the 4th floor by swiping our key card!!
On to the room....The room was very comfortable and attractively designed in a nouveau style. The bathroom was very chic with a vessel sink and glass enclosed overhead rain shower. The toiletries were luxurious Spa products, including a body butter, and Spa sea salt body wash that I decided to try out in the shower the next morning. I was so pleasantly surprised by the soothing and invigorating mint aroma! What a great way to wake up!!!! Speaking of waking up....the next morning, we were sorry to have to drag ourselves out of the comfy bed to go catch our flight home!! It was definitely the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever experienced!!! Oh!!!I almost forgot...one more tiny touch in the bathroom....I opened the shower cap to use it and found a small elastic hair scrunchie to use with the shower cap!!! One other detail I have never experienced in a hotel room before.....an umbrella for our use in the closet!!!
Other details of this property that make it a one of a kind:
The Space and Lunar themed decor are unique and really fun!!! Be sure that you wander the lobby areas and go look at the photos of the Apollo era astronauts with hotel owner, Joe Edwards that grace the walls!! There are also many art pieces that are reminiscent of great 1950's Space Art!! Be sure to look up at the Chihuly glass chandelier in the lobby and go see "Robo Dynamo" the totally cool jukebox piece in the Eclipse restaurant!!! They have a rooftop bar area, that we never had a chance to go up and see. We hear that the views of the city from up there are just terrific!! I really wish we had another day or two to enjoy the Moonrise as well as the Delmar area.
If you are planning a trip to St. Louis, you really should go stay at the Moonrise!!!

2 Thank carybenn53
Not everyone pays close attention to the details of their room so some things go overlooked, and in certain cases because of people being so detailed oriented they tend to be overly critical. Nevertheless it can be minor details that make or break a person's stay. In regards to your visit with us, it seems like no matter the size of the details, we were able to exceed your expectations. Hearing that is great news and we are proud to know that we could make for you an enjoyable experience! Hopefully you were able to explore the area in which we are located and more of the city as well. Thank you so much for your kind words and we do hope to see you again.

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I've stayed here several times when in St. Louis for business. The Moonrise is always very clean, very comfortable and very friendly. The concept is fun, but what keeps me coming back is the fact that this easily transforms as a home away from home every few months. It's one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in; I sleep well every night and enjoy the rain shower as I get ready in the mornings. This is a perfect for those on the road who don't want to settle in like they're at home, but feel a little spoiled with a courteous and attentive staff if needed. Extra bonus - they're pet friendly!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kimberly W
We certainly want our guests to feel comfortable upon their arrival and during their stay. Its awesome to know that we are able to generate that feeling for you every time you stay with us! When traveling on business, if done often, staying in hotels can be a bit cumbersome, but we hope to alleviate that feeling by offering a friendly staff, accommodating rooms and convenience in regards to our central location allowing for easy exploration of our city. Thanks so much for your feedback. We do hope to see you again.