“Very disappointing”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #7 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We booked our three night stay via Luxury Link. From the time we booked the trip everything they told us turned out to be untrue. The offer stated that we would get an upgrade at time of booking if available - we booked three months in advance and the answer on various requests was they could not do that currently. We learned that there would be a concert next door to the hotel the the first night of our stay. We contacted the hotel and were told we would get a quiet room away from the elevator - we were given a room next to the elevator overlooking the entrance to the hotel and the concert venue with unbelievable noise and limited sleep. We asked the next day to speak to the manage and were told he would call us - this never happened. The towels, if at my house would be called rags. The second night no
concert, but still all kind of noise late in the night into the early morning. Someone told us you go to St. Louis to visit someone which was true in our case, not to tour the place. The Budweiser Brewery tour and seeing the Clydedales was nice as were the casinos.

Room Tip: Away from the hotel's driveway which is on the same side as the Pagent concert hall.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn027
Paul L, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I was very disappointed to read that your entire experience in St. Louis was not a pleasant one and that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It seems there was much confusion regarding the package you purchased through Luxury Link, I am sorry for any misunderstanding regarding the details of the package and any miscommunication on the hotels part. The room type included in the package is a Cosmic Jacuzzi King and unfortunately there is only one of these room types on each floor, all located in the same location. I was very surprised to hear that you were disturbed by the elevators, being that they are located around the corner in a different wing, also too any music. Providing a peaceful night of sleep for all of our guests is of course a guarantee; I would like to speak with you regarding compensation for the evening this did not transpire.

Regarding the upgrade to a suite, as noted by Luxury Link this is subject to availability and unfortunately at the time of your booking there were none available so we put your name on a priority list to be upgraded if we had a cancellation for a suite, however that did not happen.

Again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you were caused. I am hopeful you will contact me directly at 314-721-1111 so we can discuss your stay further.

Regards, Paul Lauritsen, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just returned from a wonderful 3-night stay at the Moonrise. The beds and the service were excellent. There was a community pumkin carving with free refreshments held in the parking lot on Saturday afternoon. Coffee in the lobby is a good spot to meet like-minded folk. The Loop on Delmar is great for restaurants, exploration, and music.
The Moonrise has a novel rooftop bar with a view of the St. Louis Arch. The hotelier's lunar collection is fascinating!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Delmar Blvd.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for participating in our Fifth Annual Pumpkin Carve & Glow Event! We had a great turn out this year with a ton of creative pumpkins. We've had several new spots along The Loop open this summer expanding our coffee offerings for those of us needing a little extra help in the morning time. Our owner's lunar collection is the product of a long time space fascination and is continally expanding so there is always something new to look for and learn from.

Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Moonrise two nights and we have no complaints. Check-in took about 90 seconds and we were off to the room which was nice and very clean. Our bed and pillows were great. The rooftop bar is nice but the food in the restaurant right off the lobby was excellent. I had a steak and my wife had mac 'n cheese and both were great. Nice people and atmosphere. Free parking or very reasonable valet. They even have an EV charging station! Unfortunately, our LEAF was at home 1,600 miles away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OilKiller

The mac 'n cheese is one of my favorite items on the new menu! Eclipse rotates their offerings four times each year so next time you visit we should have a new selection of entrees to enjoy. In addition to the EV charging station we also promote sustainable energy through solar panels which power our Rooftop Terrace and New Moon Room. Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel.

See you soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed here one night when attending a concert at The Pageant which is next door. Great location in The Loop. The service was great and we were even served a cocktail at check-in. The hotel decor is fun and modern. Our room was nice with a fabulous bathroom! We enjoyed some pre-concert cocktails and appetizers in the hotel restaurant and then hit up the rooftop patio and lounge after the show.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MeTravel2U

Eclipse Restaurant and our Rooftop Terrace are perfect for refueling after shows at The Pageant concert venue since their kitchen is open late until 2AM and they have drinks available until 3AM. It sounds like you were able to fit in a lot during your night in St. Louis. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My first time in St Louis, we stayed at Moonrise because of the neighborhood and solid hotel reviews. The hotel is great. Solid spot, modern looking, with an awesome rooftop bar. Walkable to lots of food and nightlife. If I'm back, I'm staying here.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dreamwires

Glad to hear that your first trip to St. Louis was a memorable one! We are so fortunate to have so many shops and restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Our neighborhood is constantly expanding so next time you visit we'll most likely have some new spots for you to explore. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing you again!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had planned a trip to St. Louis and had paid for my room via groupon and was on my way! After reading all the positive reviews I was excited to experience the moonrise for myself.

But then I made a huge mistake. I had left my wallet all the way back in Oklahoma at a restaurant I had eaten at. They were closed, I was 200 miles away from the resturant and 400 miles from home. So I called the moonrise hotel at about 2:00 am and explained the situation hoping there would be something they could do. But the night clerk was less helpful. His response was basically "you need your drivers license to check in." Regardless of the fact that I had all my paperwork stating the room had been paid for AND that I had various other ways of proving my identity. But nope. That was good enough. And the night clerk didn't care that I was 400 miles away from home with nowhere to stay.

...but it some ways I understand that. They need a drivers license to check in. I get that. I mean it was my fault after all for leaving it in OK. I was just hoping giving the extreme circumstances something could be done for me. But the night clerk didn't even seem to care. So whatever I moved on.

And then this is where I really get angry. After all this went down I emailed three people associated with the hotels customer service to let them know that the night clerk they had can come off as less than concerned and to see if there was anything that could have been done differently to avoid my being stranded. I wrote a 7 paragraph email very polite but detailed. And then I waited...

No response.

Two weeks later. No response.

So I figured I guarantee if I explain my situation on their Facebook surely they would see it and at least be like "our bad, sorry. We hope you'll give us another chance" and that is ALL IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN and I would have been happy and honestly ...probably would have stayed there again. But then days went by with no response. They were posting on their Facebook hourly with no response to my issues.

So yeah. Probably not going to go back. I just wish they had the class to address the problems I am presenting them with. But apparently they prefer to ignore it.

Maybe they don't value their groupon business the same way they do regular business? I don't know. Just upsetting.

Oh yeah, the rooms are pretty. And the daytime clerk...Nicole I think? She's awesome. Super nice and accommodating. But that's about where the positive reviews stop

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Abcollins405
Paul L, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Our attempts to reach you via telephone, since your stay 1 week ago (10/17) have been unsuccessful because your "voicemail box has not been set up by this cell phone owner". We pride ourselves in excellent customer service and getting back to our guests that are kind enough to share their experience, we always responded within 24-48 hours; however we could not do so in your situation because of your telephone issue. If you could be so kind as to contact me directly 314-685-3402 I would appreciate some of your time so we can discuss your experience.

Regards,
Paul Lauritsen

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is definately a unique hotel. I requested an early check-in since my flight arrived so early, and the staff went out of their way to accomodate me. The rooms were beautiful, just as pictured. Bathrooms are amazing! Bed extremely comfortable! Rooftop patio was lots of fun! Location is great for walking around the Delmar Loop and easy driving distance to local attractions. I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

I'm so happy to hear we were able to get you registered early so you had enough time to explore the area. Thank you for the comments on so many details of the hotel. Looking forward to having you back as our guest soon!