“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
San Francisco, California
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel has a nice lobby and courteous staff. The decor is modern. But, here is what I experienced:

• Beds that have a thick soggy pad on top, that squeak when you move, and where the foot of the bed is elevated way higher than the head of the bed.
• Stains across the front of the tv speakers and also streaking down the wall behind the nightstand.
• A quarter inch of dust caked on top of the surge protector behind the bedside table. (There may have been dust behind other things - I just didn't want to look….)
• Stained Ironing board cover that has no padding underneath it (giving your clothes a waffle pattern from the metal top).
• Room service food that was way, way beyond salty. (This was both my dinner and my breakfast).
• The smell of sewer gas in the room (that, btw, did diminish once I ran the water in the shower for a few minutes after arriving).

I have photos of the stains on the wall, the dust, the stained ironing board cover and the sloping bed. I'll upload them later.

I stayed in February of 2014. (I hope this is helpful to the hotel and other travelers.)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 2014BeenThereDoneTha
AlistairTheCat, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay, I was glad to read that you found the staff to be courteous. The hotels number one most spoken/written comment about us is that the guests have found their accommodations to be spotless, as is evident is most all of the TripAdvisor postings, so I was shocked to read that your experience was not the same, my apologies. Our beds were specially designed with a double pillow top feature of which makes for a luxurious night’s sleep, for most, I am sorry if it was not conducive to your personal comfort. Your experience with our in-room dining was unfortunate, your comments have been shared with the culinary team. Feedback is what will assist us in making any necessary corrections and letting us know where our strengths are, so again I thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Paul Lauritsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night and it was one of the best stays I have had in a hotel. The people were very nice and the hotel was very clean. The room was big and comfortable. The decor was amazing and interesting. We had a jacuzzi tub that was very relaxing. It had an I home and a noise maker to help people sleep. No complaints at all for this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank ELR90
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
I’m glad you enjoyed the white noise machine we have them in all of our rooms as well as the iHome docking stations for those traveling with their iPod or iPhone. We’d love for you to come back and see us again so you can relax and enjoy another evening in one of our Jacuzzi room.

Cheers

Cordova, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

The gf and I stayed for two nights during a Saint Louis visit. The place is very nice, and not like mainstream hotels. The rooms were comfortable. The Eclipse bar and roof top bar are also a very nice addition. Also loved the neighborhood. They are also dog friendly and have special room services for your dogs!

3 Thank Jasons_Travels01
We pride ourselves on being a unique hotel and very different from the chain hotels, it’s great to hear you appreciated that in us. The Rooftop New Moon Room and Rooftop Terrace Lounge both provide great views of St. Louis and are a nice spot to grab a drink before you turn in for the night. We welcome all of our guests including those with four legs!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Taylorville, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I love this area of town and was excited when I found out we had a reason to stay overnight! The moonrise didn't disappoint! Very nice property and comfortable room. The shower was excellent - rain-shower head - i could have stood in there all morning!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heather M
We hope that you find another reason to stay with us again soon! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Apparently, the Moonrise has been open for about 5 years or so, but it looks and feels brand new. The decor is whimsical and charming, and just retro enough to feel hip.
The place feels on par with any Westin or Hyatt property, but they don't charge for wifi, printing is free in their business center, and their room service has no service charges!
I was on town for business and didn't get to explore the neighborhood, but it looks really fun.
All the staff I spoke with we're friendly and helpful without seeming obsequious.
All in all, I loved it!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank dbreiden
We opened in April of 2009 so we are coming up on our fifth year! You will have to come back and stay again when you have time to get out and enjoy the shops, bars, and restaurants in the Loop. In today’s society we understand how important WiFi is and feel that our guests should not have to pay for something that is becoming more of a necessity than a luxury.

Cave Springs, AR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. It is in the middle of a fun, trendy neighborhood with plenty of good food, coffee shops, and entertainment within walking distance. The decor is fun and modern. Parking is close but there isn't a lot of it if you don't use the valet service, so if you're out late on a busy weekend you may have trouble finding a spot when you return.

I was very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I am a nursing mother and needed a place to store my pumped breast milk during our stay. The mini fridge did not provide enough freezer space, so the hotel stored it in their large freezer, allowing me to add to it throughout the day. Any mother who has breast fed will understand how helpful it was for me to be able to keep all of the milk I pumped! I also needed a microwave to steam clean the parts for my pump. Microwaves are not provided for guests, but the staff allowed me to use the microwave in their break room. Again, very helpful and very much appreciated.

We ordered breakfast from the Eclipse Restaurant on Saturday morning. It was delicious and came in large portions.

The only disappointment for me during our stay was the noise from the rooftop bar that was directly above our room that kept me awake throughout much of the night. The hotel provided a sound machine in our room that was helpful, but for a light sleeper like me it was not quite enough to drown out all of the noise.

Overall, we had a great time. Our room was beautiful and comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and we would definitely stay there again!

2 Thank arkiecourtney
I’m glad you found the staff friendly and accommodating to your needs during your stay. The public parking lot directly behind the hotel can fill up on the weekends but there are overflow lots less than a block away that our guests are free to use, we also always guarantee valet parking for hotel guests. On your next stay you may want to consider our Rise N Shine package which provides breakfast for two and valet parking. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on Valentine's Day. Upon checkin, we were offered a complimentary alcoholic beverage. The color-changing staircase in the lobby switched between different shades of pink which really set the holiday mood. We stayed in a jacuzzi king room and it was incredible! The jacuzzi was large enough for both of us to comfortably fit and there was a massage chair in the corner which was so relaxing. The space theme of this hotel is so neat - there are all kinds of artifacts and memorabilia covering the walls. The staff were SO friendly during our stay, we will definitely be coming back to this hotel!

2 Thank Lindsey F
The Cosmic Jacuzzi rooms are great for couples celebrating a special occasions, how can a bathtub big enough to hold two people not be fun! It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments we look forward to your return!