“So-so experience”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #6 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night. The best thing was the convenient location - we were in St. Louis to see a concert at The Pageant, which is right next door to this hotel. The hotel is also located near a number of eating and entertainment options.

A few things that could be improved: 1) my wife and I are not big people, but the shower entry was rather small, even for us. Anyone who is even slightly larger than average size could have considerable difficulty getting in and out of the shower. Maybe it was just our room, though - this was our first time staying here. There is also a serious lack of counter space in the bathroom.

2) Your room key is needed to access your floor once you are on the elevator, which is an awesome safety feature. However, our room keys failed to work properly every time we used the elevator. Other people on the elevator told us that their room keys also had not worked properly. Fortunately, each time we used the elevator, there was at least one other passenger whose key was working, so we were able to exit at our floor. Since we were only staying the one night, and because we were always still able to access our floor, we did not say anything to hotel management during our stay.

3). This seems to definitely be a destination for people intent on "partying." The first time we rode the elevator, two men entered. One was literally falling-down drunk, and it was only 5:00 in the afternoon. There were several other instances during our short stay where we encountered people who had had too much to drink. Nothing bad happened, but just be aware that this could be a problem if you are staying here.

4) After the concert, we ate at the on-site restaurant at the hotel. We were not impressed. To quote my wife, "If they're going to serve a Ponderosa quality steak, they should charge Ponderosa prices." My food (breakfast sandwich) was OK, but I was pretty hungry after drinking beer all night at the concert next door.

It wasn't a bad experience, but we would probably only stay here again if we are coming back for a concert at The Pageant. It was great to be able to drink throughout the evening and just walk next door to the Moonrise.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave M
AlistairTheCat, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

I am glad you enjoyed the convenience of the hotel in regards to its location near the Pageant music venue, indeed guests can truly unwind and enjoy all the Loop area has to offer, walk back to the hotel and take the elevator home. The safety feature with our elevators and card key access has not been an issue in the past so I am thankful you brought this to our attention. If a guests attempts to use their key after they have checked out the system deprograms the key to prevent elevator access, possibly this may have been what you encountered on one of your experiences, my sincere apologies. The quality issue your wife encountered with her steak in Eclipse restaurant was most unfortunate we would have gladly replaced the entrée or made an adjustment to your bill, please reach out to me personally so I can see that this happens. We pride ourselves on quality food that is reasonably priced, I do hope you will look upon this situation as an exception to the rule. Thank you for staying with us in the future.

Regards,
Paul Lauritsen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel has a nice lobby and courteous staff. The decor is modern. But, here is what I experienced:

• Beds that have a thick soggy pad on top, that squeak when you move, and where the foot of the bed is elevated way higher than the head of the bed.
• Stains across the front of the tv speakers and also streaking down the wall behind the nightstand.
• A quarter inch of dust caked on top of the surge protector behind the bedside table. (There may have been dust behind other things - I just didn't want to look….)
• Stained Ironing board cover that has no padding underneath it (giving your clothes a waffle pattern from the metal top).
• Room service food that was way, way beyond salty. (This was both my dinner and my breakfast).
• The smell of sewer gas in the room (that, btw, did diminish once I ran the water in the shower for a few minutes after arriving).

I have photos of the stains on the wall, the dust, the stained ironing board cover and the sloping bed. I'll upload them later.

I stayed in February of 2014. (I hope this is helpful to the hotel and other travelers.)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 2014BeenThereDoneTha

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay, I was glad to read that you found the staff to be courteous. The hotels number one most spoken/written comment about us is that the guests have found their accommodations to be spotless, as is evident is most all of the TripAdvisor postings, so I was shocked to read that your experience was not the same, my apologies. Our beds were specially designed with a double pillow top feature of which makes for a luxurious night’s sleep, for most, I am sorry if it was not conducive to your personal comfort. Your experience with our in-room dining was unfortunate, your comments have been shared with the culinary team. Feedback is what will assist us in making any necessary corrections and letting us know where our strengths are, so again I thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Paul Lauritsen

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night and it was one of the best stays I have had in a hotel. The people were very nice and the hotel was very clean. The room was big and comfortable. The decor was amazing and interesting. We had a jacuzzi tub that was very relaxing. It had an I home and a noise maker to help people sleep. No complaints at all for this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank ELR90
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

I’m glad you enjoyed the white noise machine we have them in all of our rooms as well as the iHome docking stations for those traveling with their iPod or iPhone. We’d love for you to come back and see us again so you can relax and enjoy another evening in one of our Jacuzzi room.

Cheers

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The gf and I stayed for two nights during a Saint Louis visit. The place is very nice, and not like mainstream hotels. The rooms were comfortable. The Eclipse bar and roof top bar are also a very nice addition. Also loved the neighborhood. They are also dog friendly and have special room services for your dogs!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jasons_Travels01

We pride ourselves on being a unique hotel and very different from the chain hotels, it’s great to hear you appreciated that in us. The Rooftop New Moon Room and Rooftop Terrace Lounge both provide great views of St. Louis and are a nice spot to grab a drink before you turn in for the night. We welcome all of our guests including those with four legs!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I love this area of town and was excited when I found out we had a reason to stay overnight! The moonrise didn't disappoint! Very nice property and comfortable room. The shower was excellent - rain-shower head - i could have stood in there all morning!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather M

We hope that you find another reason to stay with us again soon! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cheers,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Apparently, the Moonrise has been open for about 5 years or so, but it looks and feels brand new. The decor is whimsical and charming, and just retro enough to feel hip.
The place feels on par with any Westin or Hyatt property, but they don't charge for wifi, printing is free in their business center, and their room service has no service charges!
I was on town for business and didn't get to explore the neighborhood, but it looks really fun.
All the staff I spoke with we're friendly and helpful without seeming obsequious.
All in all, I loved it!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank dbreiden

We opened in April of 2009 so we are coming up on our fifth year! You will have to come back and stay again when you have time to get out and enjoy the shops, bars, and restaurants in the Loop. In today’s society we understand how important WiFi is and feel that our guests should not have to pay for something that is becoming more of a necessity than a luxury.

Cheers,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. It is in the middle of a fun, trendy neighborhood with plenty of good food, coffee shops, and entertainment within walking distance. The decor is fun and modern. Parking is close but there isn't a lot of it if you don't use the valet service, so if you're out late on a busy weekend you may have trouble finding a spot when you return.

I was very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I am a nursing mother and needed a place to store my pumped breast milk during our stay. The mini fridge did not provide enough freezer space, so the hotel stored it in their large freezer, allowing me to add to it throughout the day. Any mother who has breast fed will understand how helpful it was for me to be able to keep all of the milk I pumped! I also needed a microwave to steam clean the parts for my pump. Microwaves are not provided for guests, but the staff allowed me to use the microwave in their break room. Again, very helpful and very much appreciated.

We ordered breakfast from the Eclipse Restaurant on Saturday morning. It was delicious and came in large portions.

The only disappointment for me during our stay was the noise from the rooftop bar that was directly above our room that kept me awake throughout much of the night. The hotel provided a sound machine in our room that was helpful, but for a light sleeper like me it was not quite enough to drown out all of the noise.

Overall, we had a great time. Our room was beautiful and comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arkiecourtney

I’m glad you found the staff friendly and accommodating to your needs during your stay. The public parking lot directly behind the hotel can fill up on the weekends but there are overflow lots less than a block away that our guests are free to use, we also always guarantee valet parking for hotel guests. On your next stay you may want to consider our Rise N Shine package which provides breakfast for two and valet parking. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to seeing you in the future.