“Trendy upscale boutique hotel”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Trendy upscale boutique hotel”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights while visiting St. Louis with my adult daughter. I booked a room with two queen beds on booking.com but when I arrived this room type was unavailable, management stated this was an overbooking issue with booking.com and apologized stating this is a continual problem and they "seem to always have at least one staff member on the phone handling the overbooking". I was offered a king suite with couch or king room with a roll away. we accepted the suite because they said the couch would be more comfortable and as we had been driving all day and I did not want to have to search for another hotel and this was the closest one to our desired location, WashU. The suite was beautiful with a view of Delmar Ave. and was huge with a private bedroom, large bathroom and living area with fridge, table/chairs and couch. If I had booked the suite, I would have been incredibly pleased with the quality of the room. If I had been traveling with my husband I would have been thrilled with the upgrade, but unfortunately the "upgrade" in this situation meant my daughter was sleeping on a couch rather then her own queen bed I had booked.

The room was clean, large and upscale. However, there were continually dirty room service trays on the floor outside other rooms in our hallway and some sat for more then 12 hours. Valet was fabulous and our car was always ready when we called for it and the Valet attendant was also like a pseudo concierge giving us great tips on the area. The elevator is key accessed which did give me a small sense of security until our final night when large quantities of intoxicated patrons of the roof top bar were riding the same elevator.

We will definitely stay here again because the location can't be beat, but in the future I plan to call the hotel directly after booking if I use an indirect service like booking.com or hotels.com to confirm I will have the accommodations reserved. Improvements need to be made in the cleanliness of the hallways and work out the glitches with the bookings, but it is a beautiful hotel and I would recommend it and will stay again on my many return trips to St. Louis to visit my daughter.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank TiffHerb
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
One difficulty with making reservations with third party websites is that sometimes there are errors that can cause booking issues. It is not a common occurrence but it does happen from time to time. When this happens we will always do what we can to accommodate our guests and make sure that they are satisfied with the resolution to the problem.. There is no excuse for a dirty room service tray to sit in a hallway for more than twelve hours. The Housekeepers will remove any trays from rooms as they clean and they are removed multiple times throughout the day. I will work with our staff members to make sure they are removing the trays in a timely manner.

Even with though your stay was not what you originally planned with your reservation it is good to know that the other aspects of the hotel and the staff were able to make your stay enjoyable!

When you return please feel free to reach out to myself directly to make a reservation and I would be happy to reserve a room and look into any possible upgrades!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Illinois
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Purchased this room through Hotwire, I am rarely disappointed with rooms on Hotwire and this was no exception. Very nice hotel with good service. The decor was fun and imaginative, which was also true of our room. The room was clean and well appointed with lots of towels, bathrobes, the normal appliances, a room safe and even a large umbrella. Nice fun place to stay.
Unfortunately, the quality of the restaurants in the Delmar Loop have gone downhill,. Most were directed toward student clientele. I miss the nicer restaurants like Riddles! But, Blueberry Hill is still going strong. I was staying with a friend and we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, Eclipse. I will review this separately, but we were very disappointed in the food and the service. The hotel manager was very apologetic about our restaurant experience and enthusiastically attempted to make it right for us. I will stay at the hotel again, but I am hoping some better restaurants open in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AnneBoelyn
The third party internet sites typically have great deals, but if you want to return at a later date you should contact us directly because usually we have different offers and promotions for guests. It is sad to hear that you feel the quality of restaurants have gone downhill recently. Riddles was an amazing place and I was disappointed when I found out they were leaving. Most of the restaurants in the Loop are casual dining but there are some great new options. Please feel free to contact me about your experience in Eclipse as well as when you return and I would be happy to provide recommendations for a place to eat and assist in making a reservation!

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Admittedly, this wasn't on the top of my list of places to stay when looking for a hotel in this area. However, the other hotels that were recommended were all full. When I happened on the Moonrise, I was skeptical. However, the price was similar to the others, and the location seemed to be close enough to the places I wanted to visit. I stayed for a couple of days while visiting the Washington University campus. Overall, the hotel is very nice and the staff is friendly and helpful.

The room is on the smaller size (I had a standard King room), but not so small that you feel cramped. The room and common areas were clean with no unusual odors. The bed was on the softer side, but comfortable. A compliment of 5 pillows of various firmness was provided. There was also an iHome alarm clock and a HoMedics Sound Spa that you could set to fall asleep to various calming sounds.

Free self parking is behind the hotel. The parking areas are generally well lit and monitored by security cameras. Another reviewer had commented about having problems finding a place to park when the nearby venue has concerts. However, I stayed from Saturday to Sunday (arriving around 3pm) and didn't have any problems. Valet parking is also available.

The Eclipse restaurant attached to the hotel lobby is a convenient place to eat or have a drink. Drinks and light dining/appetizers are also served at the rooftop bar. Room service is available 24 hours/day from the complete restaurant menu!

PROS:
Location/neighborhood is nice--a lot of restaurants & small shops to visit, and less than a mile to the NW corner of Forest Park. Room access is additionally secured by requiring the use of your key card to get to your floor via the elevator. There was a large selection of TV channels from which to choose, including HBO & Showtime (seems to be more 1.5-2 times as many choices, at least from what I've experienced in other hotels). The room safe provided was big enough to secure my 17" laptop. An AV strip is built into the desk, which allows you to connect to the TV to play movies, etc. from your computer or other devices. An umbrella is provided in the room--a nice thing to have if if the weather doesn't cooperate with your outdoor plans. The rooftop bar on the 8th floor of the hotel (Eclipse) is a nice place to hang out, particularly on a summer evening (friendly staff, not too crowded, music volume kept low enough so conversations can be had, mixed drinks about $6).

CONS:
No pool or hot tub. However, this may not be an issue if you didn't plan on swimming.

In summary, the Moonrise will be on the top of my list of places to stay if I travel to St. Louis in the future.

Room Tip: My 5th floor room looked out over the rooftop of the neighboring building, and I had a fairly good v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Larry L
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for providing a detailed review of our hotel! We hope that Moonrise will be at the top of your list for hotels in this area should you return! We have replaced some of our mattresses with a firmer option for guests who are prefer to have more support while they sleep.

If we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in the University Loop close to Blueberry Hill and other attractions. The room was as you would expect. Very clean and a good size. The service was exceptional with the staff accommodating every need from giving us advice and directions, to organizing a rental car. When in St Louis, you must stay at the moonrise.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JamesKyriakou
Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel for all guests visiting St. Louis! It is great to hear that your stay was enjoyable and we would love to have you back so you can explore more of the attractions in the Loop!

Cheers,

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is very modern, the room was spacious and bright. There is no pool, however there is a very nice rooftop bar where you can relax at the end of the day and you can see for miles in any direction. The bed was comfortable. All of the staff seem friendly. The bathroom is also nice, however it was a bit dimly lit and small. There was some noise in the hallways.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DM_1278
Not having a pool onsite can be a disappointment for some travelers, but we are only about five minutes away from Herman Park Public Pool if you are willing to make a short trip to relax poolside. If you return and would like information on the pool or any assistance with a reservation please let me know!

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have stayed here two separate times and if anything, the second stay was better than the first. I concur that this staff is amazing...the front desk, the housekeeping staff, I had a very pleasant conversation with maintenance staff while on the elevator, it felt like I was staying with my best friends!
I have stayed twice in the Betty Grable suite, my boyfriend and I have just decided that's "our" suite...the room is beautiful and comfortable. I have also eaten in the restaurant located on the property and it is affordable and the food is good, the rooftop bar is also fun and lively if you are into the sort of thing.
We are already talking about when we can come back and I sure hope it's soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
We want all of our guests to feel welcomed by all of our staff members and think it is great that you feel as if you are here with your best friends when you stay! When you do return if I can be of any assistance setting up a reservation please let me know and I would be happy to make arrangements for you to stay in your Betty Grable suite again!

Cheers,

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The staff of the Moonrise were the best I have experienced in all of my hotel stays. EVERY person I encountered was friendly and attentive. The room was very nice and the beds were very comfortable. The location was 1 block from a Metrolink station, so getting downtown for the Arch, City Museum (via downtown trolley) and Busch Stadium were very convenient. We were a hop and a skip from Forest Park. My family really enjoyed visiting several spots there.

However, I traveled with my wife and 3 kids (ages 7-10). This hotel doesn't have a pool so you may want to look elsewhere if you have smaller kids. It was very loud in the hallway on our first of three nights. This is the reason for the average sleep quality rating. The shower needs some extra space to hang a washcloth as the little metal shelf is not enough. The hotel has a really cool rooftop bar. Because of this, drunk people made their way to our hallway in the middle of the night. If I visit St Louis again, I would absolutely stay at the Moonrise but not if I had my kids in tow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank benneac
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
While we do not have a pool on site there is a public pool about a mile away that guests of the hotel can access. The hotel does have security guards that monitor the noise levels on our guest room floors; if security is not present while another guest is being disruptive they will respond to a guest’s noise complaint if the front desk is contacted. Our location near Forest Park is very convenient for families wanting to visit the St. Louis Zoo and there are a couple of great kid friendly restaurants in the Loop! We would love to have you stay with us again the next time you travel to St. Louis and if I can help make any arrangements please let me know.

Thank you for your review of our hotel!