“Excellent hotel in a great city!”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #6 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I stayed a couple of nights at Moonrise Hotel as part of a trip I'm currently on touring the US on holiday. I'm from Norway, and have visited the US frequently - and lived here for 5 years going to high school and college some years back.

I'll make this short: Moonrise Hotel is the best hotel I've stayed at. Ever. And I have stayed at a few around the world through my job in central banking and on various vacations. What surprised me the most, was that the hotel managed to be a contemporary design-hotel and at the same time a down-home and friendly place at the same time. Where lots of stylish and hip design hotels, including many in my native Scandinavia, often fail to genuinely make you feel at home (you more often feel like you're at a fashion show in Tokyo...), the "friendly" hotels often fail in one way or another in terms of the facilities. Not so at Moonrise. Top notch staff. Flawless design, style and comfort. And plenty of nice places to check out in the hotel's surroundings, in The Loop area of St Louis.

Well, guys and gals. If you like style but also like to be treated like a human being, you can't beat Moonrise Hotel. I hope to come back and visit y'all again sometime.

Semming, Oslo, Norway

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Semming
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 29 June 2009

We came to the hotel based on some photos on the internet. By the time we left we swore we would return. The staff if incredible. The hotel is surrounded with a great contemporary style. The location is supurb. This place and its people are charming.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank DanBoylan
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I booked this hotel with some trepidation because all of the reviews were glowing but the majority were written by people for whom this was their only contribution. Bur at $99 a night rate, I couldn’t pass it up & was certainly glad I did.We arrived and had a little trouble finding the entrance to the hotel. Once we did, though, we were greeted by a valet who directed us to the lot. Unfortunately, the hotel's parking is within a section of a free public lot, so you almost have to pay the $14 a night charge, unless you get lucky & find a space. (Not sure why they couldn’t buy property to make a private lot but whatever.) The front desk personnel were extremely friendly & helpful, telling us about the hotel (which was open for a total of 10 weeks when we checked in.) The building itself is designed in a really cool modern style which would be found in Miami rather than St. Louis. Lighted stairs, 50s futuristic furniture, and lots of really cool retro art are some of the features. The room itself had clean lines as well. The beds were really comfortable, plasma TVs with every cable channel imaginable, & free Wi-Fi. The bathroom did not have a tub but had a waterfall shower; the only complaint is that instead of a sliding door, there was a half pane of glass which did little to keep the water from soaking the rest of the floor, which meant that I had to have my towels changed every day.
We did use the restaurant in the hotel, and while it was good, we found it to be a little steep. Breakfast for the 3 of us was almost $40 with tip. Dinner was a staggering $100+ thanks to the $15 bottle of wine that is sold for $36. Room service was expensive as well but worth it when you are too tired to fight the crowds on a Friday night on Delmar. A little improvement on the variety of the offerings and an adjustment in the prices might be in order. One of the big features is the roof bar which is supposed to have a great view. Unfortunately we did not make it up there for by the time we got back each night, it looked more like a club scene. Because it is open to the public, the elevators can get crowded at night, especially on Friday & Saturday.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay & the high level of service here. Be sure to pick up their complimentary moon pies on the way in. Parents should check out the retro Space toys for sale next to the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ShoeGal9
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We found the hotel to be clean and well-appointed. The staff was very attentive and helpful with recommendations for restaurants. The hotel is well-located in the heart of the Delmar Loop and convenient to many areas of Saint Louis. On weekends the hotel fills up with bar and restaurant goers, but we did not find the noise to be a problem. The breakfast was great, although service was a little slow. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We were traveling to St. Louis for a short vacation trip and decided to stay at the Moonrise Hotel when we saw an ad in a travel guide. Our stay was great! The Delmar Loop area of St. Louis turned out to be a fun place to spend some time, the hotel accomodations were great and the service was the best we have ever experienced. Be sure to check out the rooftop bar at the hotel and go down the street to eat at Blueberry Hill. Thanks to the way we were treated by the friendly and helpful staff, we will be back on our next visit to St. Louis.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2009

If you are heading to STL, and want a great hotel in a fun location, this is the place for you. Their staff was extremely friendly and informative. The rooms were clean, comfortable and very stylish. The roof top bar is a nice plus.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This place is great--modern, hip decor, large room, comfortable bed, free wi-fi (I'm doing this review from my room), but the best part is the staff--from the charming young man who greeted me when my taxi arrived, to the young woman at the front desk, to the young man who helped me with my bags... everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. This is my first trip to St. Louis and everyone has gone out of their way to give me relevant information about the surrounding area (which is great--the Loop is one of the "10 best streets in America" with restaurants, live jazz and lots of neat shops). Right across the street from Forest Park.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business