“do not recommend this hotel”

Americas Best Value Inn-St. Louis / Downtown
Ranked #103 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Rooms were very dirty and smelled like smoke. I would not recommend staying here nor will I ever stay here again. It was cheaper than other places downtown and close to Edward Jones dome, but those are the only good things about this place. Extremely run down, dirty, horrible smell, and I didn't feel safe staying here. If you are looking for a place downtown, spend the extra money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Room smelled like smoke and mildew. It looked like somebody had tried to use the tank of the toilet for something, because the lid was on backwards. Toiletries were very limited. Shower was dirty.

The telling sign was the carpeted staircase leading up to the second floor. Who puts carpet on an outdoor staircase?

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank got3jacks2nines
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I were college students in Chicago when we got married, so our options for Honeymoons were limited. We decided St. Louis because the Amtrak takes us right into the city. We chose our hotel based upon location and price. I suppose we were asking for a crazy experience since we only paid $52.50, but how could we possible know....
Our walk was a short 15 minute walk to the hotel, which is right next to the Rams stadium and the Martin Luther Expressway. There is only one entrance from the front for cars and pedestrians and the office is small within the parking lot under the rooms. they have 2 floors of rooms and we got a room in the second floor. When we got to our room we first noticed the fact that it looked like someone had tried to kick in the door from the outside. There was also a very flat mattress and couch in the room with a small bathroom that had dirty walls and door. I felt like an accident has occurred in the bathroom because of all the weird stains.
Granted this hotel had a great location for us because we got to experience many things the overall feel of the hotel was extremely creepy. I'm pretty sure either a pimp or a drug dealer because there was always people coming in and out and they tried to sell me whatever they had, I qickly said no thank you. Last but not least, my suspicious husband just happened to wonder why there was a tiny whole in the toilet lid and opened to find 2 used crack pipes. Awesome memory and candid moment, but not exactly comforting.
This hotel is almost worth the $50, but the crazy experience was priceless.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah L
Reviewed 27 June 2012

It is probably the cheapest place to stay in STL downtown, within 10 mins walk from decent restaurants and bars in Downtown and the Metrolink station (STL light rail system). However, it is not the best place to stay in. You can see really weirdo types in the motel. The surrounding also feels really unsafe after dark. I was simply shocked when I woke up in the middle of the night as the cops were kicking at my door! I was told that someone from the motel called the police due to high noise in another room and they thought I was the one who dialled 911!
Continental breakfast: you get what you pay for: some donuts, bagels and coffee, tea. Don't expect more when you pay 60-70 bucks a night in STL downtown!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

Before arriving to this hotel, I prepared myself for a hidden,old, n dirty hotel! I read several reviews n was depending on the positive reviews but prepared for bad based on the negative reviews. So when i arrived i was happy because we came straight here, we didnt have any problem finding it. After we paid for the room we decided to come inspect the room b4 u packinh the car. I must say i am a fan of hotel imp n after watching hotel imp I want to be careful with hotels! Trust me we looked everywhere n the room n found the room was clean. Now of course it had it's normal furniture dusk on the side of the night stand, but the room overall was clean. I even did the matress check ahh ha i checked for bed buggs probably the first thing we checked. If u need a inexpensive room for a few nights n want to b downtown i think this is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank MrsBell0983
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here for one night for about $60, and it is the cheapest you will get downtown. From the hotel we were able to walk downtown no problem and the St Louis Arch, as it is no more than a mile away. We didn't really feel too safe on this end of town though, not sure if I'd walk through the area at night anyway. We also stayed there mid January, so traffic wasn't really much of a problem and there wasn't many people around. Overall the experience was pretty average, we weren't looking for a nice place to stay just somewhere to sleep overnight and easy access downtown with free parking.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Overall, I was very weary of my stay here. I was reading the reviews, was just kind of in disbelief of things that were said. I had booked through Hotwire, which on their site which is tricky you DO NOT know where you are going to stay, but they're suppose to give "good deals" well I think I definitely overpaid for this hotel! When I viewed these comments I saw people stating ya not bad for $70, etc & etc.. Well, I paid well over that was just very shocked at the conditions of the hotel.

The floors were sticky, the fridge/microwave/alarm looked like something out of the 70's. Which the alarm wasn't even working due to the plug in's not working.. We actually laid towels on places of the floor to not step in it again.. The door had a large enough gap you could fit your hand through, due to the loud noises from outside traveling in. Our toilet even had a crack, which basically the whole bathroom had pieces missing from the walls & etc.. The only thing that looked nice was the sink.

Just PLEASE be careful if you do choose to stay here, I think paying that little extra sometimes can go a long way now. Just needs MAJOR updating.

I'm just glad that at least Hotwire can be accommodating due to the conditions. Would advise people to stay way from this hotel! Which surprise surprise they are not even attached to this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends