“Not Ever Again”

Americas Best Value Inn-St. Louis / Downtown
Ranked #107 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Okay, My family and I (3 small children ,2 adults) were moving from Ohio to Arizona. Since we were driving across the country we wanted to stay with the same hotel chain to get a discount. We book this hotel because all of the other choice hotels that we stayed at were really clean hotels and because we booked the same hotel chain we were able to receive a discount gas card. BIG MISTAKE. First of all the look of the hotel reminds me of a hourly rate hotel. I tried to be optimistic. It was after midnight when we arrived so we just wanted to bathe and sleep. We got our key and proceeded to the room. The elevator sound like like it was going to break soon. We got to our room and you can smell the cigarette smoke from outside the door. (I asked for non-smoking) Remember I have three small children. The carpet was so dirty that it greasy with sheen on it. The comforters were not clean and the bathroom had mildew around the tub and on the ceiling. The room smelled so bad that my oldest daughter started to get a headache. We asked to change rooms but because it was so late that didn't have any. When it was time to sleep I put the comforter back and had my children sleep under the sheets only and turned the heat on. The next morning right after showering I noticed that everyone's clean socks were starting to get black because of the dirty carpet. I made my children sit on the bed until it was time to go. Needless to say that we were very upset about this hotel. Don't ever go especially if you have children. By the way, we never received the gas card.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 October 2008

My husband and I booked this hotel because of the proximity to the Arch and the price. We found the place to be old and a little beat-up! But the room was clean and quiet. The gentleman who checked us in was friendly and helpful, he gave us a map and showed us how to get to some restaurants nearby. They were only a short walk and even though it was evening, we never felt threatened in any way. It is also a short walk to the Arch, and is close to all the St. Louis sport complexes. The parking was free and where else in a large city do you get that?

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Stayed here with my girlfriend for 5 nights in June 08.
We are travelling around the States and are on a budget, although if we'd realised how horrible this place is we would of happily paid more to stay anywhere else!!
We arrived to see an uninviting lobby with a less than helpful lady on reception. Once she had given us our room key we went up in the worst lift i have ever seen, if i didn't have heavy cases i would of defintely used the stairs.
On entering our room the smell of stale smoke hit us. The room was dark and dingy and the light fixture on one of the walls had loose wires hanging out. There were stains on the sheets and a hair in the bath.
There was a two inch gap under the door which went straight outside and we had to block it with the quilt to stop bugs coming in.
The hotel was about a ten minute walk to the Gateway arch which was good and about a fifteen minute walk into town.
We have stayed in budget hotels along our way but this was by far the most disgusting and we can safely say we will not be using Econo Lodges ever again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2008

I was taking a long drive across the country, and decided that Saint Louis would me a good place to spend the night. I consider myself a budget traveler, and I wasn't looking for much - simply a cheap place to sleep that was close to the Arch. I thought the Econo Lodge was the place for me.

Upon arrival, I have to wait in the deserted lobby for 15 minutes before any staff showed up. There was a sign on the bullet-proof glass that said that some one would be back shortly, and I should wait. So I waited. In the process I saw a sign in the lobby that said "No refunds after 15 minutes" This screamed "run" to me, because I assumed that either the rooms were trash, or it was a place visited by people who only like to stay an hour or two. Either way, I avoided my better judgment and stayed.

After staff finally arrived, the check in process was pretty quick. I headed upstairs to my room. The outside of the hotel was super-ghetto looking, and the parking area was dirty and falling apart. The room itself wasn't disappointing. Moderately clean, two beds, tv. The bathtub was pretty dirty, but the room itself as about what I expected.

Shortly I realized that there was no garbage can in the room, and there were only two towels. The room reservation was for three people. I called the front desk to request they bring an additional towel. They said I could come and get it. Normally, this would not bother me, but the hotel has no interior hallways, and it was pouring rain. I go to get the towel anyway. While down there, I also ask for a garbage can, as the room was missing a garbage can. The front desk attendant assured me that the can was in the room. I assured him it was not. He assured me again, and this went on for a bit. Finally he finds a garbage can and a towel and I go back upstairs.

Then, there were internet problems. The signal for our internet showed up for about one second out of every minute. We could not get online. We tried at various places in the room, and on different computers. We called the front desk, and they offered to give us an 800 number for their provider. We tried to explain that it was a bad signal, or a low strength signal, and the wireless signal wasn't reaching our room. He once again asked it we wanted the 800 number. Not too helpful.

Resigned to not using the internet, we head to bed. We notice that we can hear the neighbors quite well, and that our door bar/chain is broken. Alas, sleep. The bed was fairly comfortable.

In the morning, grabbed some of the free breakfast. We got to the breakfast about half an hour before it ended, so I wasn't expecting the best selection. There were a handful of pre-wrapped donuts, and a couple slices of white bread. The donut was horrible. I may rate is as the worst donut I have ever eaten. We walked over to the Arch, and while it wasn't that far, we walked through some sketchy parts of town.

Overall, if you are only looking for a place to sleep, and are not concerned about the quality of the neighborhood, and don't want to use the internet, and don't want the free breakfast, this place might work. If you are considering it because of the "perks" such as internet, parking and breakfast, please change your mind. I wish I would have spent $30 more and had a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Yes, it is true that "you get what you pay for". However, at minimum you should always get a clean, comfortable, quiet room.
The room seemed to be clean. However, the walls are razor thin, which caused me to get zero sleep. I could literally hear the people in the next room breathing. I could hear every conversation and trip to the bathroom as if I was in the same room! Normally, I would have turned on the fan on the air conditioning unit in order to block out the sounds. However, the units in this hotel do not have a "fan only" option.
Furthermore, a room on my floor apparently had too many people and I kept hearing the security people knocking on their door telling them that the mximum occupancy was 4.
Although I did not feel unsafe, this place has a ghetto look and feel to it. If you are desperate or a super cheapskate, stay here
(at least The desk clerk was nice and the coffee was decent), but if you can do it, spend ten or twenty extra dollars and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank memboy
Reviewed 22 July 2007

My friend and I recently took a weekend trip to St. Louis and wanted to "budget" travel. We chose the Econo Lodge Riverfront. While it is within walking distance to the arch and other riverfront activities, be warned....it is a VERY long walk!
It is right by the freeway so if your room is on that side be prepared to hear noise all night from the traffic. The outside was very rundown and my friend did not want to go inside but once inside we found the beds were very comfortable, the a/c worked perfectly and there was all new furniture. The staff was VERY nice and helpful and even let us check in more than 2 hours early without any penalties. Parking was free as well.
This hotel is perfect for the budget minded and for those that do not intend to spend a lot of time in their hotel. It was $70 a night during a busy convention weekend and 2 baseball games so You cannot beat the price! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2007

Dont listen to any of the bad reviews. If you are paying around 70 dollars per night you surely cannot expect luxury. I stayed here while backpacking through the USA and would say that here i got the most value for money. The hotel is basic but makes up for it with friendly staff and is situated within walking distance to the arch, shopping and the nightlife. If hitting the bars of St Louis is high up the priority list then this hotel is particularly suitable.