“Excellent Hotel in all Regards”

The Chase Park Plaza
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
North Carolina
“Excellent Hotel in all Regards”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is a beautiful, historic hotel in the Central West End of St Louis. The rooms are large, well maintained and the pool area is fantastic. The presence of the movie theatre in the lobby is an added plus. In addition to the pleasing physical structure, the staff at the hotel are charming, helpful, attentive, and professional. All my requests were met with a universal "My pleasure" and they acted as if it was.
The location is fantastic, right next door is a gourmet grocery store for wine, beer, picnic items etc and there are wonderful places to eat within easy walking distance. The Italian bar restaurant served delicious food, there is a great all mystery bookstore and many other charming locally owned establishments. There are lots of outdoor eating places.

The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport and is close to the park, and museums.
I travel extensively in the US and Europe and list Chase Park Plaza on my top 10 hotels

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review that you posted recently about your experiences at the Chase Park Plaza.

I will be sure to pass along all of the great comments about the property and our teriffic staff to the entire team so that we can continue to provide the kind of service people expect from the Chase.

We hope to see you again soon in St. Louis.

Andy Ellis, Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I extended a business trip to St. Louis and spent the weekend with my boyfriend at the Chase Park Plaza. We received a great, discounted rate for the weekend. The hotel is beautiful with spacious rooms. The location was perfect and close to many restaurants, parks, the zoo, the Botanical Gardens among other things. And a short drive to downtown locations like the Arch and the ball parks. There is a real movie theater in the hotel, showing the latest movies, which was GREAT for us. The food was excellent, as well as the overall service. We are already making plans to return again in the fall during football season!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is closer to the elevators near the front of the hotel. The elevators at the re...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for the glowing review of the Chase Park Plaza. I am so pleased that you were able to extend your stay and spend some time relaxing at the hotel and taking in all that St. Louis has to offer.

We look forward to your next visit and if I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you again.

Andy
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Huge hotel with a perfect organization. The rooms are large and clean. The swimming pool is a "must visit" under the central USA heat. The restaurants within the hotel are too pricey but you have plenty fine dining opportunities nearby. The airport is not too far which is convenient and the huge Park is just around the corner which is a perfect picnic opportunity. The tram is 10 mns walk away to go to the famous Arch if you have time to visit the local celebrity.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Merci pour le revoir.

Thank you for your review of the Chase Park Plaza during your recent visit to St. Louis. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and were pleased with the services and amenities that we provide. The pool is definitely a must see while at the hotel and is a wonderful place to relax and unwind.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Chase Park Plaza for a weekend getaway. We planned a trip to the zoo and a cards cubs game and we were looking for a hotel that was within reasonable distance to both. Chase Park Plaza was one of the only ones left with rooms available so we booked it. The location was great...lots of restaurants and bars lining a cute little street with plenty of outdoor seating and people watching! The hotel was nice, our room was clean, and the staff was friendly. The downfalls (to us) were our room had no view, self parking was $17/day, they charged for wifi & there was not a single vending machine in the hotel so u had to choose from the limited selection offered in the mini~bar (at very high prices with extra added on fees) only to find out the refigerator wasnt working and the soda was warm. Overall good experience though.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank pitbullluver
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for the review that you posted about your recent stay at the Chase Park Plaza.

I would first like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the refrigerator and the warm soda. While we do not provide vending in the hotel we do have a great gift shop, a fully stocked mini bar and we are across the street from a terrific grocery store.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Central West End with all that it has to offer in the way of restaruants, bars and boutiques and that our central location was convenient for everything that you had planned.

We look forward to hosting you again at the Chase.

Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Let me start off by sharing that we are St. Louis natives and that my college "life" was spent working in *at the time* the top hotels in the city/county (Ritz-Carlton, etc). And-- that when we travel my husband (primadonna) insists on the "best" wherever we go. Our past few trips we have stayed at the Four Seasons St. Louis and have been very pleased. However, on this trip the location of The Chase made the most sense.
The last time we stayed at the Chase was 2009 *as I recall*. Everything was EXCEPTIONAL. This time around--things have been less than stellar. But--the service has been impecable. Let me explain: The reservationist was kind, thoughful and professional. However--a mistake was made with our reservation. One of the HUGE draws of the Chase is that they offer a few suites with a full kitchen. Necessary for us as I am still boiling bottles for sanitation purposes. I called the night before to check and see if I needed to bring a pot from home *I didn't* and was informed that I was booked into a "mini kitchen" (fridge/micro only). The front desk clerk was apologetic and very kind --but informed me the kitchen suites were booked. She recommended I call back in the morning (training issue #1). Having worked in hotels I knew there was a night manager and requested to speak with him. I was cheerfully connected. He was supurb. Very professional. Explained that there was nothing that could be done for night one--but that they would be happy to move us on night two. Primadonna wasn't pleased--but I understood that this was all that they could do given the situation. So--we arrive at the hotel. Valet staff wonderful. Let me digress a bit---this hotel is privately owned by a family in St. Louis. From what I have been told--they are very active in the day-to-day operations. You can tell by the attitude of the staff. All are very kind and helpful--genuinely so. This goes across the board--from the Valet, to the bellman, to the front desk to the housekeeping staff--etc. In my experience you can ONLY find this sort of warmth in a family-owned hotel where the owners treat their staff well (had a discussion with one about eyeglasses and a flex-spend account). This tells me the owners are good folks who value their employees. That speaks volumes to me. Ok. back on track--- so--we get up the room and its warm. Request maintenance who gets up there right away. In the meantime the bellman was waiting for unloading instructions (patiently) while he clearly recieved a call to help another guest. Because I'm not "one of those types" I told him to go and we would wait for him. He promised to come right back (he did). Maintenace staff top-notch. Good guys. Same great vibe I've received from everyone so far. They inform that its running warm, offer to "flush out system" or move us to another room. Choose the latter. So--we get to the next room. Front desk comped us breakfast the next morning which I thought was very appropriate but not expected. All is nice and cool. However, still the same quality appointments but noticing a bit of wear(chips on furniture, stains on furniture, grout discolored in bath, mold on bathroom blind--etc). I chaulked it up to a a less than stellar housekeeper that week. All in--to us the price is a STEAL compared to other cities for what you get--but for St. Louis the price is on the high side (not complaining here). When we moved to another room the next day the wear was even more evindent. The kitchen was pretty nasty (pasta splash all over, cabinet doors that clearly had not been cleaned in months, can opener caked in mystery goo, thick layer of dust all over baseboards, chipping/warping all over trim work). It just seems that they need to institute a weekly deep-clean with the housekeeping supervisor checking out each room with a VERY detailed check list. I know that we had one at The Ritz years ago. Housekeeping staff may be just going through the motions here. It may have something to do with turnover. I don't know. Housekeeping is a very tough job *why I always tip them well each day*. Its got to be a huge undertaking controlling the quality of each room. Also--when we requested blankets one night--the pillow case was clearly clean but the blanket was dirty. Its the only issue that we have had. But--given the whole bedbug phenomena happening these days--I gotta say---this piece makes me a bit uneasy. I am hoping that management reads my review and considers implementing some changes. We will stay here again next time around--and I hope they tighten up this onle loose end!

Room Tip: One side along street has "decent views" but loud. Other side has awful views (of rooftop...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank primadonnaswife
Andy E, Director of Sales at The Chase Park Plaza, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for the very detailed review of your recent experiences at the Chase Park Plaza. As a member of the Management team I want to assure you that we do read every review and take all of our guest comments very seriously. We use these comments as a training opportunity for the team so that we can continue to make improvements throughout the property. We share both the positives and the negatives and recognize that we have areas that need improvement.

I appreciate all the kind words about the service that your received throughout your stay and the concerns that you have brought to light about the condition of your guestroom have been shared with the appropriate departments.

The next time you plan a night out please don't hesitate to contact me directly to make arrangements.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Upon checkout on July 22, the front desk attendent, SOROCO, looked at me in a displeased manner when I went back to question a charge on my bill. Apparently, the day we spent at your pool, either another hotel patron charged to our room number (729) or one of your hotel wait staff charged our room inadvertently. There was a $65.00 charge for either food/drink at the pool. On Saturday, July 21, we went to enjoy your pool at/around 10:00 am and left prior to lunch at noon. The pool became unusually crowded with adults/teens lounging around the pool perimeter making it quite unsafe for entry/exit into/out of the pool. The pool general area was quite crowded that day and while we would have liked food or beverage, your pool wait staff never came by to inquire on our needs. They were busy serving guests that were bringing beverages in the pool (i.e. drinking budweiser in the wading area - 3-4'). It seemed like an adult party and not very kid-friendly, so we left the pool area to obtain our lunch and beverages elsewhere. That said, upon checkout; your hotel front desk staff to look at me in a displeased and untrusting way when I questioned that specific charge on that specific day. That was totally uncalled for! The individual (SOROCO - odd name similar to that spelling) even stated that he would have to go through that days receipts (i.e. in the pool area). I stated several times that we recieved neither food nor drink. He basically accused me of trying to escape a charge by continuing to look at a very leisure pace for charges that neither I or any member of my family made that day! Is this professional courtesy? Your hotel gets poor ratings on service, trustworthiness, and staff friendliness. After holding me from my departure for 15 minutes or more, the individual said that the receipts were too numerous to go through and that he would simply remove the charge! Wow, after I repeatedly told him that the charge was not made by me or a member of my family. Can you imagine the disgust I felt at how that situation was handled? Your rates are quite high, but to mistakenly charge people and react as if we are trying to escape from paying charges or fees, that is a form of "nickling and diming" individuals. Others would simply glance at the bill and depart. Lucky for me, my wife double-checked our bill! I will never recommend the Chase to any one I encounter that asks me for my thought on where to stay in St. Louis. The Chase will never again cross my mind, especially after the treatment I received when I questioned a charge that I never made!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank unhappy_camper44881
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary, thinking that this would be a very nice place to just sit back and enjoy a luxurious, hassle free weekend. As it turns out, this would not be the case. You do pay for luxury and service, but you certainly don't get it. The package deals are easy to buy, but it is very difficult to get the hotel to follow through. After our experience, we took a look at some reviews and found our story far from unique. The room was nice enough, but that was the only thing that was positive. The evening we checked in we decided to go down to the bar and get some drinks before dinner. The bar service was appalling. It took three different people to come by before we could actually order, and when the drinks came, they were very poorly made. (My martini was half brine). The next day we tried to order breakfast up to the room--as per our package. The breakfast 1) came very, very late, 2) came missing 2 of the 6 items we ordered, and one item was not even what we ordered, and 3) came cold. When I called back down to have it corrected, they brought back a partial version of what need to be re-made. When we got the bill, we were expected to pay a room service fee of 20% on top of a tip, and on top of another “Delivery fee”. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tipping for service, and I still tipped generously, but three fees all for the same thing is ridiculous--especially when the food was wrong. But the icing on the cake was when we went to check out. They tried to charge us for the breakfast after we had bought a voucher for it. They claimed that the voucher went to the bar tab from the first night. But this is not true; we paid full price for the bar that night. I had the receipts to prove it. They nevertheless, stood there are argued with us for 10 to 15 mins trying to say that they already gave us the voucher for breakfast saying the bar tab (FYI, the tab was for two drinks at $18 total. They tried to tell us that we had actually spent $58 for two drinks and after the discount for breakfast, we only had to pay $18). Not only that, but when we finally did get them to realized that the voucher was not actually used for the bar, they applied the price of the voucher we bought directly to the breakfast--dollar for dollar, no actual package benefits. E.g., if you are planning ahead and buy a $40 voucher for breakfast in bed as part of their package, at the time of redemption, they ring up the breakfast in full, and subtract the $40 from the bill and charge you the rest. The deal does not even waive the multiple and exorbitant service fees. Just exactly what kind of "package" is that? Just skip the package and pay it out right and save yourself the time. Or better yet just don't go to the Park Chase Plaza, because the service you get is really far from luxury despite the premium.

Room Tip: Just don't go.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review and thank you for allowing me to discuss your experience at the Chase in more detail.

I would like to apologize once more for the inconvenience and I definitely appreciate the feedback that you provided

As I mentioned in my emails please contact me directly at aellis@chaseparkplaza.com should you decide to stay at the Chase the next time you have a getaway in St. Louis.