“Be sure to get traveler's insurance”

Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 26 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Booked this room and, contrary to the confirmation received, B&B billed me for full length of stay immediately upon booking, since "it was the holidays." My receipt, however, only reflected the deposit amount. Maybe this was an attempt to keep me from figuring out they'd already charged me for the entire bill before I'd even arrived?
Be warned, they do NOT offer full refunds unless you're more than 14 days out. Even then, they only refund your deposit (which is 50% of the entire bill.) If it's during a holiday, they will bill you for the entirety of your stay, regardless of the reason for cancellation. In our case, Amtrak terminated our train, leaving us no way to get to St. Louis. Stacy and Brian refused to offer me any refund unless the room was rebooked by another guest. Eventually they relented and offered me one night's free stay if I came back in January or February. The food may be good, and the inn cute, but be sure to check your bank account AND purchase traveler's insurance, just in case you keel over before you make it there. Like I mentioned, I never even laid eyes on the place, and they wanted to keep my $612.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mizzmelody2u
Stacy K, Owner at Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

It's unfortunate that this reviewer did not have a chance to enjoy the 500+ sq.ft. apartment with full kitchen, living room, queen bed, and Jacuzzi tub that she reserved for 4 nights for $612. One of the nights was FREE because we were running a special. Since the reservation was over the holidays and included a FREE night, we charged her the full amount at the time she placed the reservation and informed her in writing and via phone that it was non-refundable.

The reviewer initially booked her stay using our online system, which automatically charges a 50% deposit and sends an automated email that is the receipt for 50% of the cost of the reservation. The reviewer then called and asked that we extend her online reservation by 1 day, which we gave to her for FREE. We then sent a personal email with a receipt for the remaining 50% of her stay. Unfortunately, the reviewer seems to be a bit bewildered. No guest other than her has ever expressed confusion about how their stay is charged. We give our guests a FULL REFUND if they cancel at least 14 days in advance of their stay, or 30 days in advance for major holidays. We do not only refund 50%, as this addled reviewer has stated.

This reviewer canceled less than 18 hours before she was to arrive at our inn. Major hotels chains such as the Holiday Inn, Marriott, Drury, and Hampton Inn all have the same policy as our inn. Reservations made using an online special and prepaid in advance are non-refundable. It was wise that the reviewer purchased traveler's insurance and was fully reimbursed for her trip.

We offered to refund her for any nights we were able to rebook her room, which is outside of our policy. When it didn't rebook, we offered her a FREE night's stay. She emailed and said we were gracious and generous, and wished us a prosperous 2013. Unfortunately, she was motivated by avarice to write this slanderous review. Notably, the 1-star reviews submitted for Napoleon's Retreat are due to concerns over money, not disappointment in the experience of staying at our relaxing, award-winning historic inn. Should the reviewer decide to redeem the FREE night we offered, we're sure that our gourmet breakfasts and comforting B&B will soothe her restless spirit.

There are newer reviews for Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We decided to treat ourselves to an "in-town" respite which was about equal in cost to a fine dining experience. However, our respite in tastefully decorated rooms appointed with period furniture/artwork and graced by a welcoming hostess proved to be far more restorative than the finest dining anywhere could have been. And better value to boot.

This was a "first" for us. I do not understand why it did not occur to us before. I highly recommend Napoleon's Retreat to out-of town visitors as well as to St. Louis residents. Napoleon's location in Lafayette Square is within blocks from a lovely park, interesting eateries in an antebellum historic section of St. Louis...a living treasure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Stacy K, Manager at Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2012

Thank you for your very thoughtful review. We loved having you as our guests and hope that you'll be able to escape to Napoleon's Retreat again soon!

Reviewed 8 December 2012

If you are looking for a relaxing stay in St Louis Mo, let me tell you about Napoleon's Retreat. My husband and I have stayed here on 3 separate occasions and would not even think of staying anywhere else. Stacy is a gracious hostess who makes you feel welcome the moment you walk in. The rooms are beautiful and the food is excellent. I have stayed at more expensive places and not been treated half as well. My favorite room is the Lafayette. There are 5 windows 3 0f which that overlook Lafayette Street. The view is pleasant and relaxing on of itself. The bed is super comfy and the rates fantastic. If you are in the market for a great experience while in St Louis, please give Napoleon's Retreat a try. It is so worth it! : )

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrancesLloyd
Stacy K, Owner at Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you so much for the glowing review! You are both such wonderful guests, and our entire household loves it when you visit us! We will be sure to have another loaf of banana bread ready for your next stay :)

Reviewed 19 September 2012

My partner and I pride ourselves on finding B&B s with historical architecture, Napoleon's Retreat did not disappoint us. The courtyard breakfast was fantastic. Stacy was so accommodating with our requested gluten free meals. We were provided with a superior dining guide to the area. Being from New Orleans we arrived a week after hurricane Isaac and received much needed pampering.
It is very obvious Stacy and her husband love running this bed and breakfast.

Carlos and Jim
Stayed September 2012

Room Tip: Charles De Gaulle room has its own entrance to the courtyard
1  Thank J S
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Quaint courtyard breakfast, good food, comfortable room. Wish there weren't so many stairs, that's part of having high ceilings, I guess. Stacey was very pleasant, we enjoyed our stay. She gave us good suggestions for dinner and was so accommodating.

1  Thank mjArtist
Stacy K, Owner at Napoleon's Retreat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at Napoleon's Retreat. It was a pleasure meeting you earlier this summer. I agree that our long flights of stairs are quite a workout! If during a future stay you would prefer a room with fewer stairs, I would recommend our Charles de Gaulle Suite that has only 7 steps to climb. This room is adjoined to the back of our house and is entered via our private courtyard.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We spent two nights in the 3rd floor Napoleon room recently, everything was simply lovely. The room was stunning, the location was perfect, breakfast was delicious, and Stacy was charming. You can tell she enjoys hosting her guests and sharing her knowledge of the area with them. We had to leave early the last morning which meant we would miss breakfast, so Stacy brought bagels, fruit, and water bottles to our room the afternoon before. We normally stay in hotels instead of B&B's, but if all B&B's are this nice we'll change our ways.

Room Tip: The Napoleon room on the 3rd floor is fabulous, but it's a steep hike up the stairs to get there...
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

Beautiful cute rooms, great locally source toiletries that I ended up buying and taking home. Gorgeous main house. Fabulous quiet outdoor seating arrangements and lord can this woman cook! Probably the best breakfast I've had at a B&B ever. And I've stayed in a few! Beautifully appointed in the federal style. So many cute places shops and eateries in the neighborhood in addition to the stunning local architecture and park we couldn't even take it all in in the few days we were in St Louis. Very safe and delightful. I would stay here again over a hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2012