“emily visit”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #44 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The pool area was great. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. We also enjoyed the Fox and Hound bar.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear nurse950,

Thank you for staying with us at the Cheshire. We appreciate your feedback and are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay. We love the fact that you enjoyed the Fox and Hound, pool area, and the beds. We hope that you continue to visit us throughout the summer and stay at our facility.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

First off, I'm suspicious of places that look like they're going to be Disneyesque knock-offs of the real thing. Cheshire isn't! The decor -- everything -- reflects the original owners love of England and you'll love the antiques and English touches that make this place more English than the average English inn. I loved the photos of the royal family in the business center and all the walls provide art galleries of English prints. Rooms are named after authors, poets or works. Ours was the Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie) Suite and I fully expected Hercule Poirot to tuck me in. Room was spacious and uber-comfortable with a huge bathroom with whirlpool and extra roomy shower. Staff was more than friendly, courteous and helpful. Kid and pet friendly. Beautiful pool area, Here on business this time -- I'm coming back for pleasure!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank okietravelOklahoma

Dear okietravelOklahoma,

Thank you for staying at the Cheshire. We were glad to hear how much you enjoyed the decor and your stay here. We would love for you to come back during the summer and enjoy the pool area. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you return to visit our facility very soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Overall, it was a pleasant experience. I loved the themed decor. It looked authentic and wasn't at all over the top. It looked classy in fact.

Some of the little things that were positive: 1) electrical outlets at mid-wall level next to the beds, plus an iPhone charger - excellent. So many times in hotels you have to climb down on your hands and knees to find an outlet to charge your phone. 2) They rent bikes! How cool is that? Forest Park is nearby, one of the most beautiful urban parks in the country, in my opinion. I think the bike rental idea is super. 3) It's a small thing, but playing on the old English theme, the "do not disturb" signs for the doorknobs say "Unless you are the Queen, don't even think of knocking." That made me smile. 4) The front desk staff was extremely friendly. Again, it's a small thing, but I have been to many hotels where the desk staff is robotic. These guys were great, as was the fellow helping guests with their luggage - exceptionally friendly. 5) The rooms were clean, the TV was sharp, and the shower was good.

There were a few areas that were below average. Unfortunately, on remodel projects like the Cheshire, there is not as much flexibility in redesign, I know. However, potential guests should know about: 1) There was no place to put your bathroom "stuff" except for the bathroom floor - no shelves at all. 2) There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. 3) The A/C fan in the room was very loud. Though this was actually okay in our case since we had the problem with our loud neighbors... 4) And for some reason, the doorman wasn't friendly at all. This was the first person we met. Maybe he was having a bad day, but he made a poor first impression.

Overall though, I enjoyed the visit and will probably return.

Room Tip: We could hear our next door neighbors talking loud and clear. We happened to have an adjoining room...
1  Thank Tee-Moe
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Tee-Moe,
Thank you so much for choosing the Cheshire for your recent visit to St. Louis. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought of your experience. I am delighted to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the added ambience of our new British Theme. We are always working to improve and add additional amenities for our guests to enjoy on-site or during your stay.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

It didn't hurt that the rooms were all named after some of my favorite British authors. Prints and paintings of English countrysides and other equally proper British subjects line the walls, mingling with massive wood-carved furniture and beautiful pottery and dishes. It also didn't hurt that the room was tastefully-decorated with nice sculptured carpeting and drapes and furnished with a comfortable bed and high-count linens, a wide leather wing-back chaise lounge for those who like to relax and read a work by one of those British authors, and a desk handy for those of us who have to work while on vacation.
The bathroom was small but efficiently arranged with a window to lighten the space. The tub was narrow; but with the bowed shower curtain rod, it didn't feel overly cramped. Subway tiles around the tub, the Versailles-patterned floor tile, and wallpaper in a smaller print -- all in beige tones -- helped expand the space, too.
The continental breakfast was above average and included fresh fruit, pastry, danish, cereals, turkey, cheese, and something hot -- one day it was a breakfast burrito; another it was a biscuit egg, cheese, and bacon sandwich. Excellent teas and coffee as well as other drinks were available all day. The pub downstairs is tiny but does a lot of business where the friendly crowd spills out into the adjacent lounge areas. Try the lamb sliders!
A large adjacent building is being refurbished and will then house a bigger pub and an event space. Guests can also sit outside on quality patio furniture around the pool, some under tented gazebos, or out front along the street.
The staff is very nice -- from the doorman to the front desk to the maid -- all professional yet friendly. My only complaint was that our door stuck, making it difficult to open and close.
I would rather spend less money, but this place is worth it! We'll be back.

Room Tip: We peeked into other rooms when we walked by as they were being cleaned. They are similar. We did n...
4  Thank Nevada_Kate
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A wonderfully (and tastefully) themed hotel paying tribute to great authors and works of literature. We stayed in The Canterbury Tales room, a standard deluxe double queen. Fantastic comfortable beds, wonderful toiletries and fabulous access to delish teas at any hour of the day. I traveled with my two teen sons who enjoyed the great breakfasts with nice array of fresh fruits, cheeses and one hot entree. I chose to eat the magnificent granola every single day! Tea, juice, coffee, milk and several yogurts were available too.

The rooms were very comfortable and pleasant. The walls are pretty thin; but we were annoyed by some dudes partying next door just one evening. I turned on the AC fan to run continuously and that totally drowned out their noise and I was able to sleep very well (and I'm a light sleeper!).

We walked just a few steps away to the gorgeous 90 year old cinema called the Hi-Pointe and you could easily walk to the Zoo. I adored all the wonderful treasures that Forest Park offered and my two sons grudgingly followed behind me wherever I took them.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

All was great. What really made the stay besides the decor and the writerly room names and the comfy beds, were the staff. From the Bar and the bartender, to the front desk to the valet for parking, everyone was cheerful, helpful, courteous, and effective while appearing to absolutely enjoy themselves serving us and making us happy with our stay. I couldn't ask for more for me and my family. My last stay at this hotel was when I was twelve years old and now at 59.99999 years of age I am back. Thanks so much.

2  Thank John G
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I was that person who had never been to the area, I was the person who came to Trip Advisor for guidance in finding a place to stay during our mid-week getaway to St. Louis!!!

Needless to say this place far exceeded any expectation I had. From the moment I called to make reservations and actually spoke to a real person who did indeed work at this location!! They were very helpful over the phone answered every question I had concerning traveling with our two small dogs. Along with numerous other questions.

So the good stuff! First impression was a little nervousness just because they are in the midst of remodeling a separate building from this one. Was unsure of what we would find inside. Again expectations exceeded. Greeted first off by the valet who was very helpful. Checked-in with ease. Seriously it was a breeze. Happy to have us and happy to have our dogs accompany us. Treats for the dogs upon arrival as well as many other surprises to welcome them. Pet bed, food bowls, coupon for food, bag of treats, and a friendly pet!

Our room was comfy and charming. Clean and modern. Can't really say enough. Curious about the themed suites as they appear amazing going to have to save that for our return visit I'm sure is to occur. Can't say enough.

Breakfast and the commons area are fabulous. This is not your typical spread for breakfast. Fresh fruit, oatmeal, hot ham and cheese crossaiant, that were to die for and many other options. All kept filled and fresh by a staff that was friendly and hard working. On our last morning the GM was the one out in the commons area greeting the guest and making sure the area was full. All with a smile on his face. Unlike many other GM's I have seen over the years who have no time for anything other that being behind a desk. Huge appluse to this gentleman and his rockstar staff. You all have a great thing going for you. Look forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Agsnitker,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire. I am so happy to hear you not only enjoyed your stay but are excited for your next! We do have many other great things to come later in 2012 and into 2013 that will only make your stay with us even better! We have officially opened the pool for the season and hope you will be back to enjoy it! We look forward to your next visit!