“Overpriced, overrated and disgusting” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
SGF
“Overpriced, overrated and disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

When we arrived to the hotel around noon, I asked to have a room assigned since we were planning on spending the whole day in the city and wouldn't be back at the hotel until 11pm that night. The front desk clerk refused to do that and I had to argue for almost one hour to simply get a room number. Mind you, I didn't want to check in at the time or use the room. I'm a light sleeper and simply wanted a room away from Clayton Rd.
When we finally got to the room aroudn 11pm, I realized that the room was dirty. There were peanuts and old gummy bears on the floor. Also, the neighbor's kids were yelling, jumping and throwing themselves at the wall. I called the reception and expressed my displeasure about the cleanliness of the room and the noise. Sara, the front desk supervisor, promised to send housekeeping over and call the family next door. Well, 10 minutes later, the noise continued and Sara called again. I was told that housekeeping was already gone for the day and that instead, I would be given a partial refund in the morning. Again, she promised that people next door would quiet down.
In the morning, the breakfast was crowded. The setup is not very well thought out, so there is always a huge line in front of the buffet and they kept running out of everything such as plates, silverware, sandwhiches, half and half, etc. Needless to say, we were late. The most disgusting thing was the fruit. The strawberries had mildew on them and tasted expired.
When I went to the checkout, the front desk clerk did not offer me the promised refund. In fact, I had to ask him for it. He didn't know how to do it since I paid though Livingsocial. He asked his manager, who was equally clueless. After asking me what I wanted, I replied that I wanted a refund. Well, I was told that they wouldn't be able to do that and that it would be a matter for the General Manager, who wasn't there. They didn't offer to contact him or help me out at all.
I honestly can't say a single positive thing about this hotel. I have travelled 100% for my job and practically lived in various hotels all over this country for 3 years straight and have never experienced such lack of professionalism, cleanliness and customer focus.
The owners should be ashamed.

Room Tip: Beware of the beds. They have raised bed posts that are covered up by a blanket. Because I didn'...
3 Thank bobbyandspunky
Dear bobbyandspunky,

I sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received during your stay. Our goal is to provide a four diamond level of service to our guests, and unfortunately you did not receive that. You(the guest) are the highest priority to us, and for you to leave unhappy, is dissappointing. As we have discussed, I would love for you to give us another chance so we can show you the type of service that you deserve. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other concerns, and we hope to see you back here again soon.

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel because of trip advisor review. We arrived around 5.30 and the room was not ready. "Liz" told us to come back in 30 mins. We waited in the lobby for 30mins and came back to check again. She said it still not ready and we had to wait another 30 minutes.

I expressed my displeasure but there is no apologies or effort to fix that. I left the hotel and came back in 45mins. The room was ready. Again "Liz" did not apologize for the wait.

Came into the room, and it was still dusty. Tht glass on the night stand was displaced clock not set. Coffee maker still had coffee stain.

Really, for the price I paid, i expected better service. Never going to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thedjo
Dear thedjo,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing with us. I assure you that this is not the level of service that we strive for here at the Cheshire. There is no reason or excuse that your room was not ready in time, and some sort of empathy should have been communicated to you for your inconveinence. I hope that you would consider giving us another chance to rectify the experience you received. Please feel free to contact me directly to make this right for you. We hope to see you again on your next trip.

Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We were only here one night, but wished we could have stayed longer. The amenities are the nicest and the service is superb. Our room was a nice size and the bed was heavenly.
The morning breakfast was more than adequate and we found the attention given to guests to far exceed our expectations. This is a must!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jeanette M,

Thank you for staying with us at the Cheshire! Your feedback is appreciated and we were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We are looking forward to having you come back and stay at our facility.

Chatham, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed for our first time here and have decided that if it maintains this high level of service, cleanliness and affordability, we will always stay here while in St. Louis. The lobby and pool area are incomparable in the midwest. The service was amazing -- friendly, always going the extra mile. By the end of our one-night stay, I felt like the employees were friends. Food was basic bar food and good. Nice to have a breakfast in the morning (breakfast burritos and standard continental breakfast fare). Husband loved being able to run in the park. I spent about 6 hours poolside in the evening, from 5 pm until 11 pm. The poolside couches and lounge furniture were beautiful, clean and comfy. Our room was very quiet and extremely clean and comfortable. Bathroom was sufficient and clean. We will be back, soon and often.

Tony D, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Lisamarch,

Thank you for staying with us at The Cheshire. We sincerely enjoyed having you here and were very excited to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to provide great service for you so you will consider us again on your future stays. Thank you so much for your feedback and we hope to see you back here soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

I have never been so pleased with a hotel. The service was top-notch & extremely helpful at every interaction.

The British author themed hotel was uniquely decorated. The rooms were large and very comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed the fitness room and the relaxing atmosphere poolside.

I would definitely return next time I'm in town. I highly recommend staying at The Cheshire.

Billy at the front desk is a fantastic go-to guy & had lots of recommendations for what to visit & how to get there. The kind of service we were given was second to none. Thank you, Cheshire staff, for an awesome visit.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa H
Dear Lisa H,

Thank you for staying with us at the Cheshire. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We strive to give the best customer service possible, and are glad that we were consistently able to execute this for you. Thank you for recognizing our staff and we hope that you continue to stay with us in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

The pool area was great. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. We also enjoyed the Fox and Hound bar.

Dear nurse950,

Thank you for staying with us at the Cheshire. We appreciate your feedback and are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay. We love the fact that you enjoyed the Fox and Hound, pool area, and the beds. We hope that you continue to visit us throughout the summer and stay at our facility.

oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

First off, I'm suspicious of places that look like they're going to be Disneyesque knock-offs of the real thing. Cheshire isn't! The decor -- everything -- reflects the original owners love of England and you'll love the antiques and English touches that make this place more English than the average English inn. I loved the photos of the royal family in the business center and all the walls provide art galleries of English prints. Rooms are named after authors, poets or works. Ours was the Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie) Suite and I fully expected Hercule Poirot to tuck me in. Room was spacious and uber-comfortable with a huge bathroom with whirlpool and extra roomy shower. Staff was more than friendly, courteous and helpful. Kid and pet friendly. Beautiful pool area, Here on business this time -- I'm coming back for pleasure!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank okietravelOklahoma
Dear okietravelOklahoma,

Thank you for staying at the Cheshire. We were glad to hear how much you enjoyed the decor and your stay here. We would love for you to come back during the summer and enjoy the pool area. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you return to visit our facility very soon.