“Charming Hotel Near Forest Park”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #47 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I recently spent a weekend in St. Louis to do research at the History Museum, and while there spent two nights in this charming hotel. The hotel is "historic" and is decorated in an English theme, with each room dedicated to a literary figure. I was very lucky to get the George Orwell room, featuring Animal Farm, which happens to be one of my top 5 novels of all time. That aside, the room was as clean as any hotel in their ranking level - I never find hotels to be spotless as I would like, but I didn't notice any problems. I was there on a chilly weekend, and the heater worked great - I was completely comfortable. The bed was king sized and had a large frame that my husband knocked his shin on twice due to its awkward design and placement in the room, but the mattress was comfy! I could hear a lot of the activity around me in the morning, and I think that when they renovate, they should consider some noise control between rooms. Breakfast was free, and it was so-so. I really liked that they had fresh, decent bagels and muffins, and individually packed juices and milk. On the other hand, the toaster for the bagels didn't really work, supplies were not stocked regularly, and there isn't a really great place to sit - people were just leaving plates and containers on the furniture in the adjacent seating area in the lobby, and staff took forever to clean these. There was not a place where customers could leave their used things, and a little station like that would probably solve the problem. However, the experience overall was positive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer A
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Jennifer A,
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such nice words about the Cheshire! We love you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our comfortable an clean rooms. You notes about breakfast have been shared with the team and improvements to the toaster have been made.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

There's only been 2 times I've actually walked out of a hotel after walking in without staying the night... this almost made #3.

Yes, it's a cool looking hotel and the lobby in impressive. But look closely. Carpets are worn, wood furniture is trashed and there's dust. A LOT OF IT. My room: hair in various parts of the shower. Dust on the bathroom trays, dirty floors... awful. The bed linens seemed clean but I didn't sleep well partly because of being grossed out and partly because the guy next door was on the phone for an hour late at night and the walls are THIN. More dirt all over the room. Cracker crumbs on the office chair, really? And dust on all the furniture. NEVER again will I stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank daphne r

Dear daphne r,
Thank you for taking time to provide us feedback through Tripadvisor. Your experience is disappointing, and your comments have been shared with our housekeeping leadership team. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Kimmi, who runs the bar in the lobby of The Cheshire, showed me how to love the Manhattan and Old Fashioned. I'm a cocktail fan and bartender but those two drinks never spoke to me. Kimmi's ratios correct the cloying and otherwise offensive flavors of the drinks.
There are a few great whiskey and cocktail bars in St Louis. Fox and Hound's bar doesn't have the broadest menu but nails execution, earning a visit every time I visit STL.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Aaron C,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of The Fox and the Hounds! You are correct that Kimmi is awesome, and we are very lucky to have her on our team! We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The hotel is beautiful. The décor is interesting. I am just disappointed that the hotel manager hasn't contacted me. I sent a personal letter to the hotel.. Expecting a call back and or some level of compensation for a really bad night. The lights wouldn't turn off.. and the bath was a little unclean.. Razors were left in the shower.. Probably hadn't been cleaned but I don't know..
Lastly disappointed that the staff at the front desk said there was nothing they could do .. asked us to go to priceline for a refund .. apparently the staff hasn't been trained in Excellent customer service.

I am still open for this correction .. 314-402-5433

Vickie Moss

Room Tip: its a nice hotel ..
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank grgry844

Dear grgry844,
I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was anything but perfect. Your valuable feedback will be shared our entire team. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were seeing a band at the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill and wanted a hotel close by. I wouldn't just stay here because it's close by, I would go out of my way because that is what all the staff at The Cheshire did for us. The front desk was very helpful and Kimmi D.the bartender at the Fox and Hounds' pub inside the hotel was one of the best. She was very inviting, sweet, suggested some great drinks and was very personable. She made us want to come back and tell all our friends. The room was large, extremely clean, and comfortable feeling with ambience. The Cheshire is the place to stay hands down.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krista7777

Dear Krista7777,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words about or hotel! We are very lucky to have great people on our team like Kimmi! I am so happy to hear that we can expect to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Visit St Louis monthly, and staying at the Cheshire is like having a second home.The restoration of the property to it's original Tudor charm has been beautifully done, from the rooms, to the delightfully cozy lobby, to the landmark Fox and Hounds' pub..
The staff, that is uniformly friendly and helpful, only adds to the hotel's warm and inviting ambiance. The Cheshire's restaurants are among the most highly rated in St Louis, and the Inn has a great little deli/specially shop for take-outs. Yes, it's an older property, so it lacks amenities like an indoor pool, but it's self-serve breakfast is top rate, and is included in the room rate. I love staying at the Ches, and always look forward to returning. .

Room Tip: The hotel has specially designated " business rooms/floor areas " that are quieter, even...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank susanlw

Dear susanlw,,
Thank you so much for the kind words about The Cheshire and our amazing restaurants! You are correct that our amazing team really adds to the charm our the property. I truly hope to see you the next time you are visiting St. Louis!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Cheshire hotel and we had a wonderful experience. The front desk service was wonderful. Billy Kelly and Easton totally made our stay wonderful. They told us where to eat and what things to do in St. Louis. The room was huge and it's a perfect location. We ate at the Cheshire Restaurant and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. We were so happy with it we went back for Brunch and it was amazing! I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone visiting St. Louis. Be sure to ask for Billy or Easton at the Front Desk.
Maureen W.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen W

Dear Maureen W,
Thank you for taking time to write such nice words about our hotel and awesome team members! We are truly very lucky to have people like Easton and Billy on our team! It is so nice to hear that your experience at The Restaurant was so great as well! We hope to see you again the next time you are in St. Louis!

Thanks again,