“Charming and comfortable”

Ranked #44 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Wyoming
“Charming and comfortable”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at The Cheshire. I chose this particular hotel for its convenient location to so many fun tourist spots in addition to all the great St Louis food destinations. We were not disappointed. Upon check-in, Justin and Easton made us feel immediately welcome and comfortable. The Fox and Hounds Tavern is a great spot to end the night, and the bartender, Kimmi, is knowledgable and personable. I told her what I wanted in a drink and she assembled something special that was better than I even expected. There was nothing about our stay that we found lacking. The "old world" charm of this place will bring us back for sure, next time we're in St Louis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Valerie H,
Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your stay at The Cheshire! We are extremely lucky to have people like Justin, Easton, and Kimmi on our team! They are so passionate about hospitality! We cannot wait to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Scottsdale AZ
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed at the Cheshire may times. As former St. Louis residents, the Fox and Hounds was once our destination of choice for a nightcap. This was our first stay since the renovation and were upgraded to the Peter Rabbit Suite. In the future, we will ask that any room we are assigned, upgraded or not, be at the end of the hallway. The Peter Rabbit Suite is at the end of the hallway opposite the elevators and made sleeping past 7 am impossible. Since we had flown in from the west coast, this means we were awake by 5 am by our clocks. It made for a very very tiring stay.

We also, unfortunately, had a difficult time getting simple requests fulfilled and our room went unserviced on one of our days. Extra towels, pillows, and conditioner were requested repeatedly with only the towels and conditioner appearing. The lack of an extra pillow made the already difficult task of sleep more so.

In addition, for an upgrade, we found this room disappointing in other ways. The layout of the room is awkward, with the television sitting to the side of the bed. The bathroom is also tiny, with no tub and no space in front of the sink. It also has the irritating feature of a motion-activated light that cannot be turned off for five minutes after activation. This led to the light disturbing our sleep should either of us need to use the facilities in the night. There was no solution to this problem since the door to the bathroom is frosted glass. The motion-activated light was also problematic because it would often go out whilst one of us was showering.

I do think our problems were mostly room-related. As noted, we have stayed there before and quite enjoyed it. Charming is the word used most-often to describe it in reviews because it is indeed charming. We still enjoyed the Fox and Hounds, although we miss the old drink menu and the backgammon boards.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators!
2 Thank laul0005
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear laul005,
Thank you for providing us this valuable feedback about your stay at The Cheshire. I am so disappointed to hear about the service issues you experienced while here with us. As a AAA Rated Four Diamond hotel, this is unacceptable and has been shared with the entire team for improvement. I truly hope to see you again the next time you are in St. Louis.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Charming hotel, bigger than it looks on the outside, in a quiet neighborhood. Especially if you love a little bit of a historic, British charm (even if is fake), this is the one for you. Once you step inside, the feeling is rather authentic – like a 17th century English little country castle. The furnishing is as elegant as it can be for a rather small space, the lobby is really tiny and the concierge is literally at the door. The hall/sitting room/breakfast room is beautiful and cozy, but never quite as it is the only way to get to the elevator and rooms. The rooms are named after poets/writers, and it is a great idea.
However I did not particularly liked the modern interior, except for the bathroom (loved the fact that there was no tub). I also found it a little bit annoying that the door opened directly "into" the bed. I would also recommend to do something about breakfast room. It is weird and feels like you are eating in the middle of the hall. However, the staff was great (Justin), so all in all a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Ondina B,
Thank you so much for providing us valuable feedback! We are so incredibly lucky to have people like Justin on our team! I apologize that you may have experienced any inconvenience in the complimentary breakfast room. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Beach Haven, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Cheshire was just wonderful! Everything, from the lobby to the rooms, to the staff. It is uncanny how much I enjoy the mere idea of the room names. I would stay here again just to be able to work with Benjamin, as he is so kind and a truly wonderful young man! Definitely my idea of a great hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Haven P,
Thank you so much for writing such wonderful things about your stay at The Cheshire! I'm so glad that you enjoyed how all of our rooms are named after British poets, playwrights, and authors. I am so happy to hear that Benjamin took such great care of you while you were here at the hotel. We are very lucky to have people like Ben who are passionate about great service on our team. We cannot wait for you to return!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was excited to stay at the Cheshire since they spent so much time renovating it. The old hotel is beautiful, and the Fox and Hounds is still a lot of fun (though I do miss the old bartender). The bed was exceptionally comfortable, and the common areas were very well-done. I didn't try the breakfast, but it smelled good each morning. The food at The Market was good as well. The windows are gorgeous, and the whole space has so much potential!

Now for the unacceptable. When I arrived (more than an hour after the start of check-in), I was told my room was not ready yet. Normally, I would take that in stride, but I desperately needed to get settled as I had work to do. The gentleman at the desk gave me a free drink coupon and told me to come back in an hour. When I returned, he apologized again and told me my parking would be free. Okay, I appreciate good customer service, and the guy at the desk made a real effort to make up for the inconvenience. However, when I got to my room, it wasn't clean. There was dust everywhere, dirt on the floor, and the mirror had something caked on it. Luckily, the sheets and towels were at least clean. I couldn't believe that, after waiting what turned out to be an extra 3 hours (I decided to just get dinner before returning) that the room still wasn't clean! I was too tired to complain and hoped that housekeeping might do a better job the next day. Unfortunately, while the floor was a little cleaner, the quality of the housekeeping during my stay was generally unacceptable. The grout in the shower was gross. A year's worth of dust and hair had gathered in all the corners and on the picture frames. The ledge in the bathroom door was truly disgusting. There was even a dusty, hairy sock on the floor! I don't think they changed the sheets while I was there as a mascara spot (mine, but still) on one of the pillows continued to be there, day after day.

Of particular annoyance was the bathroom light. It's a motion sensor controlled light. Unfortunately, the sensor doesn't pick up movement IN the shower. So every so often while showering, I would have to lean out into the bathroom and waive my arm to make the lights come back on. There's also no fan in the bathroom, so the only way to clear out the steam and use the mirror was to open windows (still quite chilly in St. Louis in April) and wait. Speaking of the windows...I had to wash my hands every time I touched the shutters in the bathroom.

After all the problems, I requested a late check-out at the end of the week. The woman at the front desk apologized but denied the request. Given the check-in experience I'd had, the denial did not sit well with me. To be fair, my parking was free and I enjoyed a free drink. And if I'd been traveling socially, that might have made it okay. The lack of cleanliness was the most serious problem, of course.

I really wanted to love this hotel and wish I had been able to. I sincerely hope they work out the kinks and make the place the hotel St. Louis deserves.

Room Tip: Do ask for a suite! But beware rooms that face Clayton Rd if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank girl_travelled
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear girl_travelled,
Thank you for taking time to provide our team valuable feedback. I am truly disheartened to hear about your stay. As you noted, The Cheshire has recently undergone major renovations and have been awarded a AAA Four Diamond Rating. As such, we continually strive for perfection both in service and cleanliness, and I apologize that you did not receive this. Your feedback has already been shared with our team so we can continually improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for a Wedding, it was a very pleasant stay love the outdoor areas and restaurants connected to the hotel enjoyed great lunch at Market Cafe.
Staff at hotel was very friendly! Also enjoyed Continental breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Sandals011,
Thank you so much for taking the time to say such wonderful things about your stay at The Cheshire! Weddings are such an important celebration, and we are so happy to hear that your family and friends had such a wonderful time. We are truly very lucky to have so many passionate and friendly members on our team! We truly hope that you stay with us again the next time you are here in St. Louis!

Alligator, Mississippi
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our stay at the Cheshire was simply wonderful.
All the service staff were really excellent, from the bellman and the valet to the front desk, they really go the extra mile.
The Chesire is a boutique hotel, in the style of an English Manor, and is situated at the southwest corner of Forest Park, (which is huge and fun) and is very close to everything we wanted to see and do in St Louis, the Park, downtown, the Arch, the Delmar Loop.

The hotel itself is simply charming. Dark wood and carpeting, with antiques abounding, and the rooms are all named for British authors.
We stayed in one of the novelty suites, and it was well worth the difference in price. Our room was "Treasure Island", complete with pirate and nautical themes. It had a HUGE tub, with overhead dimmable lighting for most romantic decadent baths. The bed was huge and soft, with high thread count sheets, and thick comforter. The suite was very spacious, with sitting area, huge bathroom, and shower, and Italian toiletries, including Acca Kappa White Moss, my favorite spa product!
Our room was right across from the pool, although from the way the blurb on the website was worded, we expected it to be direct pool access. Not so! If it says 'easy access' it is NOT one of the rooms that opens directly onto the pool courtyard. Having said that, it WAS relatively easy access, just across the hall, but still. If you want one of the suites that opens onto the pool, maje sure you clarify that. The pool has live music at night on the weekends, and is pretty cool, with a nice crowd and a good bar.
Food: There are multiple restaurants on site. We ate at Basso, The Market and Fox & Hounds, but did not get to try 'The Restaurant', but will definitely, on the next trip there.
Basso's pizza was awesome...but the Provel cheese takes a bit of getting used to.
The Market had great sandwiches, and pretty much everything we tried from the Fox and Hounds was good, but their crispy chicken wings were outstanding. All their food comes from local suppliers, and everything is fresh. Eating here is a treat.
Breakfast was good, but we sure would have liked room service, which is not available for breakfast. Oh, well...they make up for it with having a great breakfast buffet, and some truly good coffee.
Overall, we highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Choose the novelty suites if you can get one. Romantic and charming. Use the valet. The parking gara...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear GritsAndGucci,
Thank you for saying such kind words about your stay at The Cheshire! I am so glad that you enjoyed our wonderful Treasure Island Suite (which you are correct does not open to the pool but does have its own fireplace!) Our 4 on site restaurants truly are amazing, and the next time you stay please let us know so we can make you a reservation at The Restaurant!

We cannot wait to see you again!