“pleasantly enjoyable”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #44 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Atmosphere of hotel was awesome! Friendly knowledgable staff! Great neighborhood! Booked because next to forest park! Bed was comfy...breakfast yummy...the breakfast nook was cozy..decor charming! Will definately book here again for a weekend getaway or vacation!

• Stayed: June 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear luvbir,
Thank you so much for the amazingly kind words about your stay at The Cheshire! Our midtown location right across from Forest Park is almost unbeatable! I am truly so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! We cannot wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Andrew and Ben are amazing. They took care of our every need. They are very friendly and fun to work with!!!! The pool was great! The hotel is with in walking distance to the zoo and beautiful park. The bar was very cool. The hotel is somewhere I will visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Mike0069,
Happy 25th wedding anniversary! Ben and I truly loved getting to know you and your wonderful wife while you were here! I am so glad that you let us be a part of your celebration! I hope you both come back soon (Don't wait until the 50th anniversary!)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here bc it was a small non chain hotel. In many ways it was a lovely experience. Let me start by saying I am super picky about the physical condition of hotels -- check all the mattresses, linens, bathrooms, behind furniture-- and the room required some follow up with vacuuming. There are some parts of the physical hotel that need a little help, but, even with my pretty picky standards, this was made up for by the charm and sweetness of the rest of the hotel and the extremely accommodating staff. George was an exceptionally kind and helpful person, immediately responding to our concerns when we ran into him in the hallway. We mentioned the floor and he immediately took care of it himself.
The front desk staff was really sweet as well. My kids did the treasure hunt, (which was actually pretty special, given the really unique artifacts at every turn in the hotel) and the front desk staff (Andrew and Justin) were very nice about it. Andrew also immediately took care of any concern or question we had during our stay.
As we were checking out, I mentioned that my older daughter (quite an Anglophile) particularly enjoyed the stay. Front desk staffer Sara made an extra effort to make sure my daughter felt our trip was even more special.
Yes, it's not the fanciest hotel I have stayed in and could use a little help with upkeep, but we really had a great stay that was elevated in quality by the pleasant and accommodating staff and the quirkiness of the hotel itself.

Dear EKM4,
Thank you for staying with us at The Cheshire! I hope that your daughter enjoyed her birthday! family I truly am disheartened to hear that your stay was anything but perfect, but am very happy to hear that our amazing team took such great care of your family while here. I am so lucky to have amazing people like George, Sara and Justin on the Cheshire team. They are so passionate about hospitality.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel style was a fun theme. All the staff were friendly and always smiling. Rooms were clean and fresh, however no fridge in our room, but that was fine. The restaurants and poolside food offered and served was tasty, and great to be able to eat and relax with a drink poolside. Kid friendly, Breakfast offered in the morning had great variety. Close to zoo and the Arch. Great zoo room discount rate offered. Would go back again. Awesome atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Carmel G,
Thank you for your glowing review of The Cheshire! I love that our team took such great care of you and your family! We truly loved having you all stay with us! We cannot wait for you all to return soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

There was great help at the from desk on check-in and with some other issue that arose during the stay. However, I left an expensive Clarisonic facial scrubber in the shower, my mistake I know. I had left a reasonable tip for the cleaning staff and a nice note. I called back when I got home, same day, and found that it had not been turned in. I was asked to call back and did. Still not turned in. I asked to speak to the supervisor of cleaning staff and was told if it were found, it would be in lost and found.
Not the level of service or the expectation I have for a "quality" establishment.

If you stay, don't leave valuables in the room (NO IN-ROOM SAFE) or make the mistake of leaving anything behind - chances are it will be gone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear David C,
Thank you for your review of your time at The Cheshire. I apologize to hear that you may have had any concerns regarding security at the hotel. We take this very seriously, and while we do not have in room safes, we do provide safety deposit boxes at the front desk. Your concerns will be shared with the whole team as we constantly strive for improvement and perfection.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel has been updated, the location is very central to the Zoo forest park and Wash U. The rooms are large and comfortable. The bathrooms have motion detectors which turn the lights on, extremely discomforting when using the toilet in the middle of the night, very annoying. We had several rooms and all of us knocked our legs several times on the very poorly designed bed frames. The staff were all very professional friendly and knowledgable. Sara was especially attentive and very helpful. The poor design features of the rooms were nearly off set by the staff

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Brian F,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. While I am truly disheartened to hear that your stay was anything but perfect, I am very happy to hear that Sara took such great care of you! I am so lucky to have people that are truly passionate about hospitality like her on our team.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm giving this four stars, but I'm on the fence about that fourth star. This is one of the most charming hotels I've stayed at. But there are a few issues that make me hesitate to rate it highly.

First the positive. As I said, it's charming. It's literary themed, with each room named after a different author. When you check in, you get a bookmark and each room has a book by your author. The room is nicely decorated and has a good feel to it. There's a great hotel bar with a jazz band on the weekend. Really just a great atmosphere overall. And it was very reasonably priced too.

Now the negative. First, for the light sleepers like myself, be careful. You do NOT want a room facing the street. Virtually no protection from street noise. And, some of the rooms have A/C units that vibrate loudly. Depending on how extreme, it could be a problem. Despite bringing earplugs, we still had a bad night before we finally got moved to an acceptable room. However, I will say that, during this time, the customer service from the front desk was great. Not only did they move us with smiles, but they gave us a coupon for a free round of drinks at the bar.

Next, one of the worst hotel features I have ever heard of. The bathroom light has two options - on and motion sensor. That's right. You can't go in the bathroom without the light coming on. If you have to pee in the middle of the night, get ready for a bright surprise. And to make matters worse, it stays on for five minutes. Oh, and the bathroom door is glass, so the whole room stays lit up the whole time. Dumbest idea ever! (just a pointer - it is possible to cover the motion sensor with a tissue or a piece of paper. If I ever stay here again, I'll definitely bring tape to make the job easier)

Finally, I hate to hold it against them, but we did have a fire alarm at 4am. The whole hotel had to evacuate and stand outside while the firemen came and checked the place over. Management said it was a mechanical issue, meaning it was their fault, not a hotel guest causing it. I'm not in the hotel industry, but I would think some customer service would go a long way in that situation. When I asked, the front desk begrudgingly gave me a $25 discount. But by the time my brother asked, they said they weren't giving anything.

So, why am I still giving it four stars? Despite two out of three nights of bad sleep, the place was charming and reasonably priced, the customer service was good and we eventually found a quiet, comfortable room and figured out how to block that stupid motion detector in the bathroom. And perhaps most importantly, my girlfriend said she'd stay there again, as long as we could get the same room. So based on that, I'm taking a "glass is half full" approach to this hotel, and hoping that with the right room choice and covering the motion sensor, next time, we'll have 3/3 great nights!

Room Tip: Facing the pool or the alley is much much quieter at night than the street.