“Kinda Cheesy, but great service!”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #40 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Boston, Massachusetts
“Kinda Cheesy, but great service!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My colleagues and I were traveling for business and usually stay downtown, but with the Cards in town, room rates were too high so we stayed at the The Cheshire Inn. I'm not big on themed hotels and the tudor style is not my favorite, nor is taxidermy or ridiculosly low lighting. At first, I thought this was going to be a long, long 3 night stay...

I cannot tell you how great the service was. Justin and Benjamin checked us in, told us a bit about the hotel, the bar and the restaurant. The room was clean, neat and despite other reviews, I personally had no issue with cleanliness or housekeeping. We asked Ben and Justin to call us a cab so that we could make it down to the Famous Pappy's before they ran out of food. While we waited for the cab, we chatted at them. These two front desk staff were the friendliest, most genuine individuals I have ever come across while traveling for business (and I travel A LOT for the company). We had so much food left over from Pappy's that we brought them back what we didn't touch. They were most appreciative!

The Fox & The Hound bar inside the hotel was visited nightly by our team after long days at the plant. I forgot the two bartenders names (a female and a male), but they were also very friendly, genuine and made my stay much more enjoyable. They recommended Sasha's Wine Bar down the street from the hotel and we LOVED it. I definitely recommend the short walk over for a great selection of wine and beer.

Thanks to all for the great service. The only thing that I found that needed improvement was the breakfast. It was a little lean and did not offer too many choices. Other than that I was completely satisfied with my stay there. Please recognize Justin, Benjamin and the bartenders for their excellent service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Laura K,
Thank you for your wonderful and kind words about your stay at The Cheshire. We are truly so lucky to have amazing team members such as Ben and Justin. They truly are extremely passionate about hospitality. I am sure they are looking forward to see you again the next time you are in St. Louis!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Muncie
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is run down and dirty. It is humid, musty, sticky and smells bad. Breakfast in the morning is not stocked...there was little food, no water, no coffee, no napkins, no plates, no silverware. When they did finally bring out more water, it was yellow and tasted bad. Our "room with a view" consisted of a view of the pool, parking lot and nearby Amoco station! The chair had dirt all over it, the tub was filthy and flaking glaze particles.
Don't be fooled by any positive review or the Tudor themed decor! It is not a good experience. You would have a better time staying at the Adam's Family house, at least Thing and Lurch would be there to look after you!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BFCarroll
Dear BFCarroll,
It truly is disheartening to here about your experience. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything but perfect. We constantly strive for perfection, and as such I would love an opportunity to discuss the matters you have addressed in your review. Please feel free to contact meat 314-647-7300.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a cute boutique-y hotel. We experience a few bumps at this hotel but the service was so outstanding that I forgave the problems we encountered.
Let's do the Cons first...We reserve a Corner King room. On their website, it says it accommodates 4. I was expecting a sofa sleeper in the living area. NO SOFA SLEEPER. Um, how do you expect to fit 4 people on a King? Andrew sent up a rollaway and lucky my other child was small enough to sleep on the couch.
A/C doesn't travel to sleeping area. The a/c is in the living area and it gets freezing in there while the sleeping area is stuffy. I could have opened the windows but our kids are only 6 and 4 So Ididn't feel comfortable opening windows with no screen or childsafety.
Pros...the complimentary breakfast was very good. Their home made ccroissants were amazing! Andrew, another new front desk guy, a maintenance worker, the bar staff, etc everyone we encountered was super friendlY. Upon arrival, the kids did a scavenger hunt of the hotel that they very much enjoyed.
Overall we would visit again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank JHop80
Dear JHop80,
Thank you for the wonderful words! It truly was a pleasure having your family stay here with us at The Cheshire! I am very sorry to hear that your stay had some hiccups, but it truly was our pleasure to assist in making your time in ST. Louis very memorable. I am so happy to hear that The Cheshire will be a part of the great memories your family has together.

We hope to see you again soon,
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked only one night in this hotel as travel obligations took us to another city. Our flight was scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 11 pm so I called the hotel to give them a heads up that we might be checking in closer to midnight. The person I spoke to at the front desk said no problem and put us in for a late arrival. Our flight ended up getting in closer to 1 a.m. I had absolutely no problems checking in. Front desk was very pleasant and helpful despite the late hour. I can say I was shocked that I was charged $7 for parking as it is just a regular hotel parking lot. That is just not something I was expecting.
Really neat looking hotel with cool decor. We stayed in a Deluxe King room. I don't remember the author it was named after. The king bed was very comfortable. But we gotta talk about the bathroom. I don't know why they did it, but they have motion sensor lights in the bathroom. There is only two lighting options: On and Motion Sensor. And glass doors on the bathroom. Every time the a/c kicked on so did the bathroom light. This made for an interesting night. I also did not care for the shower as water was all over the bathroom floor when we were done showering.
We had to check out the next morning at 9 a.m. so we really did not get to enjoy the hotel as much as we would have liked.The bathroom light and shower situation were really minor issues and I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear xatiayn,
Thank you so much for staying at The Cheshire! I wish you could have spent more time here as well! I am truly delighted to hear that my team at the front desk took such great care of you, which can be really important after a long day of travel delays. Your comments regarding the bathroom have been shared with the team. I really do hope to see you folks the next you travel to St. Louis!

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great and fun place to stay in St Louis. Right of Forrest Park, we stayed there last week end and had a lot of fun.

Staff is friendly and nice and the rooms are of course beautiful and nicely decorated.

We were in the Samuel Beckett one and it was lovely.

The pool area is fun and entertaining. The staff there is wonderful (they need a cash register right there though).

Breakfast was nice and plentiful but a second buffet would be nice during rush times.

A fully stocked up mini bar with some high end alcohols and beers in the room would also be great.

Finally, a 24/7 room service should be provided considering the price of the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear jeangab75,
I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful time while staying with us at The Cheshire! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor. I am so glad to hear that the Cheshire team took such great care of you. It is also great to hear that you were able to enjoy Forest Park and all of its amazing attractions. You comments regarding breakfast and in room amenities have been shared with the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Louis!
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Cheshire is a charming looking Tudor style with a literary theme. We have stayed there twice,once last year and once more this year. Both times to visit our son who was working very nearby. Unfortunately, there were several problems we encountered: poor housekeeping, beds not made, towels not changed, poor cleaning especially in the tub-shower (some left over hair from the previous occupant is not a good thing). The bed is too soft and the heavy comforter is way too heavy for most people with no options for a light blanket or other type of cover. The air conditioner has to be left on all night otherwise it starts and stops every few minutes with much noisy clunking and clanking. The breakfast was adequate why plenty of fresh fruit. However the serving table is way too small and tucked in an end of a long narrow sitting room. This made the staff put out much too small trays and literally every time I went to get food they were out of something and I had to wait until the brought more. The worst part was the indifference of some of the staff when asked to correct these maladies. Frankly the place is charming but also very annoying to say the least.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
1 Thank JCHuntington
Dear JCHuntington,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Cheshire. It truly is very displeasing to hear that your stay with us was anything but perfect. Your comments will be shared with the entire team so that we can work to constantly improve.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Walking into The Cheshire I was immediately struck by the decor. The rich woods front desk and space behind it with thousands of bookmarks w/tassles. Very neat. But the initial impression quickly took a downward turn. Upon entering our room and placing our luggage down I went into the bathroom to take a shower before heading out to meet with friends.

The bathroom was *filthy*. It was as if the floors hadn't been swept in weeks, let alone mopped... ever. The surfaces all had residues on them. One light bulb was out. A long, black hair was stretched across the toilet while various other hairs (I guess from the previous guest) were strewn at the bottom of the shower. A closer inspection of the rest of the surfaces in the room revealed rather thick layers of dust (on the A/C unit, mirrors, lamps), and the small coffee bar area still had the previous guest's spills on it.

To top it off, the A/C wouldn't work.

Upon calling the front desk, I got an exasperated sounding Andrew A who said he'd send someone up to take care of it. One of the younger staff members arrived with a tub of Clorox wipes. CLOROX WIPES. To clean our bathroom. He spent 5 minutes wiping the floor down by hand with Clorox wipes.

No one swept. No one mopped. No one used commercial grade disinfectants. Not even a look at the shower. And the A/C still didn't work.

So I took photos and headed downstairs. I asked if we could be moved and Andrew deflected and said he would send the housekeeping manager up. The housekeeping manager arrived 20 minutes later as we were trying to get out the door to meet our dinner appointment. He brought a Swiffer-type "mop" and a another tub of Clorox wipes and told me he would take care of it.

As we walked out the front door I asked Andrew A about the A/C and got a "Oh is it not fixed?" Upon promising to take care of it personally I finally got him to tell me that if it wasn't working when we got back he'd move us to another room. Any other hotel would have moved us to another, cleaner room upon finding the bathroom dirty. But not The Cheshire. Not even upon spending 2 hours in a hot, stuffy room waiting for service personnel to do their jobs would they move us to another room.

As compensation, I was offered "a drink" from their bar, as I was heading out the door for dinner.

The beds are comfortable and the room's outfitting was fine, but the lack cleanliness is something I haven't seen in some 2-star motels. If I'm paying $130+ for the luxury they tote on their website and marketing materials, the rooms should at the *very least* be spotless.

Every other hotel in town can do it. Why can't The Cheshire?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank joelgoodman
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear joelgoodman,
I sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay at The Cheshire. We pride ourselves on creating great guest experiences, and in your case it appears we missed the mark. I would greatly appreciate the chance to speak with you further regarding this. Please feel free to call us at 314-647-7300 and ask to either speak to myself or our General Manager Tony Dandino. I hope that you can give us another opportunity to show you what our team can do.