“Love it”
Review of The Cheshire

The Cheshire
Ranked #45 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the chesire this past weekend for my boyfriends birthday and it has become the only place we want to stay when we come down to st louis. The location is good, kind of in the middle of everything. And right by the zoo which is a plus when we go back soon with our daughter. We had a corner king this time which was very spacious. Well maintained and decorated rooms and bathrooms. They beds here a very comfy! The pool area looks very nice just haven't had a chance to enjoy it yet. The staff has always been very friendly and able to answer any questions. We Also had food brought up to our room late Friday night, I had the chesire fish and chips and my boyfriend and the wings and both are very exceptional. About the only two things that you could complain about is the air conditioning unit in our room was a bit loud when it would kick on and you have to pay 7 bucks to park in their garage each day. Other than that we love it well be back soon with our daughter to visit the zoo!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Kelsey M,
Happy Birthday to your boyfriend! I am so happy to hear you were so well taken care of while you were here at The Cheshire! Our unique atmosphere and amazing location really do help set us apart. We cannot wait to have your family back when you come to visit the zoo!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights for our 20th anniversary at the Cheshire. After reading a few negative reviews I had some concerns but wanted to try it. Ashley greeted us and gave us a room on the fourth floor as we desired a quiet and romantic weekend. The room was lovely and the bed is INSANELY comfortable. The room was clean and well appointed. Now about the infamous bathroom motion light....YES, it will go on if you approach the door. If you bring tape you can probably just tape the sensor and it won't go off. Otherwise we just dealt with it. The fourth floor was very quiet, which we enjoyed. The decor is charming and makes you want to explore the whole hotel! The pub is quaint and intimate though a bit pricey. We went to Basso and were really impressed (try the meatballs) with exceptionally-trained bartenders. It is dark there and loud, so not a family place. In the morning the continental breakfast was mobbed with guests, so we went to the Market instead and were not disappointed! The bacon, egg and avocado sandwich and scores were incredible! Parking can be tricky during peak times. Overall, we had a fun and unique experience and the staff is so kind and helpful. If you are looking for dust, you may find some, but this is a busy and popular boutique hotel with a small hardworking staff, so give them a break. If you want pristine, go to a chain hotel. But if you want a fun and different stay in a quirky boutique, this is it. We will be back!

Room Tip: Fourth floor is executive floor and very quiet! Pool level rooms are loud-
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa T

Dear MOTraveker,
Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review of the Cheshire! I am so happy to hear that you were able enjoy your stay with us so much! It is also great to know that Ashley took such great care of you! She really is an amazing asset to the team, and we are truly so lucky to have people like her taking care of our guests.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My colleagues and I were traveling for business and usually stay downtown, but with the Cards in town, room rates were too high so we stayed at the The Cheshire Inn. I'm not big on themed hotels and the tudor style is not my favorite, nor is taxidermy or ridiculosly low lighting. At first, I thought this was going to be a long, long 3 night stay...

I cannot tell you how great the service was. Justin and Benjamin checked us in, told us a bit about the hotel, the bar and the restaurant. The room was clean, neat and despite other reviews, I personally had no issue with cleanliness or housekeeping. We asked Ben and Justin to call us a cab so that we could make it down to the Famous Pappy's before they ran out of food. While we waited for the cab, we chatted at them. These two front desk staff were the friendliest, most genuine individuals I have ever come across while traveling for business (and I travel A LOT for the company). We had so much food left over from Pappy's that we brought them back what we didn't touch. They were most appreciative!

The Fox & The Hound bar inside the hotel was visited nightly by our team after long days at the plant. I forgot the two bartenders names (a female and a male), but they were also very friendly, genuine and made my stay much more enjoyable. They recommended Sasha's Wine Bar down the street from the hotel and we LOVED it. I definitely recommend the short walk over for a great selection of wine and beer.

Thanks to all for the great service. The only thing that I found that needed improvement was the breakfast. It was a little lean and did not offer too many choices. Other than that I was completely satisfied with my stay there. Please recognize Justin, Benjamin and the bartenders for their excellent service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Laura K,
Thank you for your wonderful and kind words about your stay at The Cheshire. We are truly so lucky to have amazing team members such as Ben and Justin. They truly are extremely passionate about hospitality. I am sure they are looking forward to see you again the next time you are in St. Louis!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is run down and dirty. It is humid, musty, sticky and smells bad. Breakfast in the morning is not stocked...there was little food, no water, no coffee, no napkins, no plates, no silverware. When they did finally bring out more water, it was yellow and tasted bad. Our "room with a view" consisted of a view of the pool, parking lot and nearby Amoco station! The chair had dirt all over it, the tub was filthy and flaking glaze particles.
Don't be fooled by any positive review or the Tudor themed decor! It is not a good experience. You would have a better time staying at the Adam's Family house, at least Thing and Lurch would be there to look after you!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank BFCarroll

Dear BFCarroll,
It truly is disheartening to here about your experience. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything but perfect. We constantly strive for perfection, and as such I would love an opportunity to discuss the matters you have addressed in your review. Please feel free to contact meat 314-647-7300.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a cute boutique-y hotel. We experience a few bumps at this hotel but the service was so outstanding that I forgave the problems we encountered.
Let's do the Cons first...We reserve a Corner King room. On their website, it says it accommodates 4. I was expecting a sofa sleeper in the living area. NO SOFA SLEEPER. Um, how do you expect to fit 4 people on a King? Andrew sent up a rollaway and lucky my other child was small enough to sleep on the couch.
A/C doesn't travel to sleeping area. The a/c is in the living area and it gets freezing in there while the sleeping area is stuffy. I could have opened the windows but our kids are only 6 and 4 So Ididn't feel comfortable opening windows with no screen or childsafety.
Pros...the complimentary breakfast was very good. Their home made ccroissants were amazing! Andrew, another new front desk guy, a maintenance worker, the bar staff, etc everyone we encountered was super friendlY. Upon arrival, the kids did a scavenger hunt of the hotel that they very much enjoyed.
Overall we would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JHop80

Dear JHop80,
Thank you for the wonderful words! It truly was a pleasure having your family stay here with us at The Cheshire! I am very sorry to hear that your stay had some hiccups, but it truly was our pleasure to assist in making your time in ST. Louis very memorable. I am so happy to hear that The Cheshire will be a part of the great memories your family has together.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked only one night in this hotel as travel obligations took us to another city. Our flight was scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 11 pm so I called the hotel to give them a heads up that we might be checking in closer to midnight. The person I spoke to at the front desk said no problem and put us in for a late arrival. Our flight ended up getting in closer to 1 a.m. I had absolutely no problems checking in. Front desk was very pleasant and helpful despite the late hour. I can say I was shocked that I was charged $7 for parking as it is just a regular hotel parking lot. That is just not something I was expecting.
Really neat looking hotel with cool decor. We stayed in a Deluxe King room. I don't remember the author it was named after. The king bed was very comfortable. But we gotta talk about the bathroom. I don't know why they did it, but they have motion sensor lights in the bathroom. There is only two lighting options: On and Motion Sensor. And glass doors on the bathroom. Every time the a/c kicked on so did the bathroom light. This made for an interesting night. I also did not care for the shower as water was all over the bathroom floor when we were done showering.
We had to check out the next morning at 9 a.m. so we really did not get to enjoy the hotel as much as we would have liked.The bathroom light and shower situation were really minor issues and I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear xatiayn,
Thank you so much for staying at The Cheshire! I wish you could have spent more time here as well! I am truly delighted to hear that my team at the front desk took such great care of you, which can be really important after a long day of travel delays. Your comments regarding the bathroom have been shared with the team. I really do hope to see you folks the next you travel to St. Louis!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great and fun place to stay in St Louis. Right of Forrest Park, we stayed there last week end and had a lot of fun.

Staff is friendly and nice and the rooms are of course beautiful and nicely decorated.

We were in the Samuel Beckett one and it was lovely.

The pool area is fun and entertaining. The staff there is wonderful (they need a cash register right there though).

Breakfast was nice and plentiful but a second buffet would be nice during rush times.

A fully stocked up mini bar with some high end alcohols and beers in the room would also be great.

Finally, a 24/7 room service should be provided considering the price of the room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear jeangab75,
I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful time while staying with us at The Cheshire! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor. I am so glad to hear that the Cheshire team took such great care of you. It is also great to hear that you were able to enjoy Forest Park and all of its amazing attractions. You comments regarding breakfast and in room amenities have been shared with the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Louis!