“Dirtiest Hotel”

Ranked #36 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Auburn, New York, United States
“Dirtiest Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed in 2 rooms with my family for 5 days for family reunion. Both rooms were filthy-carpet EXTREMELY gray from dust which got my nephew's allergies acting up. Bathroom counter never wiped in 5 days ! Bathroom door was gross- around handle area especially.Room supplies not replenished after first day-had to ask at desk each night for glasses to use in the bathroom.Breakfast was spotty-constantly had to wait for dishware, food , and breakfast area VERY tight for a remodeled hotel-poor planning there. Staff seemed annoyed that we were even there! The desk staff were the only helpful, happy people. One of the breakfast staff even swore about a family member under his breath and I got an eye roll from another.Only one elevator working(no evidence that they were working on other elevator to fix it) and a staff member with a cart tried to use it first even though there were several guests waiting to use it -never experienced that before ! Picked hotel for location but will look elsewhere next time for sure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Candy D
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Candy D,
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. Your experience is very concerning, and I would love an opportunity to discuss these matters further. If you could call me at 314-647-7300 at your convenience and ask for Andrew. Regarding the elevators, I am happy to let you know that we have completed all work on our elevators and both are now working better than ever!

I look forward to our further discussion,
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at the Cheshire every time we visited our daughter at Washington University, and she always wanted to have her graduation party there.
So for the special weekend, we booked a block of rooms for our family,arranged for a special dinner at The Restaurant, on the hotel's property, and capped off the weekend with a pool party for the graduates at the hotel's unique pool! Mr. Allred took care of all the details and made the weekend a huge success for our family, the graduate and all the friends who came to the pool party.
The staff was incredible, the catering dept. had the food and beverages delivered to the pool and couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ninsdb
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Ninsdb,
Please pass my congratulations again to your daughter on her graduation! Your family was so fun to get to know! We loved having you all! I really am so happy to hear that you had such a great time with us! You will have to come back again soon!

Thank you for your amazingly kind words,
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We loved the Hotel, our Dog-BO was treated with such great kindness. Andrew-Desk Clerk was outstanding, going above & beyond our needs. Breakfasts were good! Can't wait, I'm planning my return trip next summer!

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool View!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie M
Dear Katie M,
Please tell BO we all say hello! Thank you for your amazingly kind words about your stay! I truly am so happy that you had such a great time with us, and I loved getting know you! We all cannot wait to have you come back again next year!

Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Selected Cheshire for long weekend with our 9 yr daughter, who is an avid, advanced reader. I researched, read reviews, and got a decent deal reserving online...but ended up being disappointed in the room. Upon checking in, our only given choice of author was "Lady Chatterley's Lover"...not really appropriate reading. And the room was not clean - hair on tile floor in room entry and bathroom, a finger/toe nail on the carpet, and dust around room, and the tub floor was grimy looking. I called down and requested a different room, but was told there were none. (They did come sweep. ) When I stay in a $200 hotel, I do not want to see parts of the previous guest.
My daughter enjoyed our stay in "the castle" and the treasure hunt, and the time we spent time at the pool (which is quite small...) Service was good at the pool/restaurants, but I would not return. From the other reviews I am seeing, it is obvious the housekeeping staff needs better training!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first with a staff member to ensure it is clean!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jsmac3
Dear jsmac3,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Cheshire. I apologize that your stay was anything but perfect, but am very happy to hear your daughter enjoyed your trip to St. Louis. We love to create memories and experiences for families. I know that traveling can create memories that your daughter will never forget. Your feedback will be shared with the team so that we continue to grow.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I can only say great things about our stay at The Cheshire. 5 of us Iowa girls have been friends since high school and wanted to celebrate our turning 50 this year. Thanks To Kim she has connections in St Louis. And a big thanks to Tommy. A favorite of our Kimmy. She was wonderfully knowledgable and mixed us some wonderful cocktails. Hey Kimmy please give me the recipe for the Tweedle Dee!! I loved it!! I would return to the Cheshire in a heartbeat!! Thanks.

Stayed August 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Beth D,
Thank you so much for the wonderful words about The Cheshire! I am so glad to hear you ladies had such a great time! Kimmi loved getting to know you all! She thought you were a hoot! We love being a part of special occasions, and are so grateful that you spent your combined 50th with us!

Cape Girardeau, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We had heard good things about the renovation of The Cheshire and were disappointed in our stay. The pool area was small and only 1 server for the pool area and the bar. Our room was not clean. A layer of dust was on every surface as well as the carpet had not been vacuumed. Trash under the bed. The elevator only had 1 in service. Just outdated and certainly not 4 star quality. Not even quaint enough to be called a boutique hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear TandF33,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at The Cheshire. I am truly disappointed to hear that your stay was anything but perfect. Your feedback regarding your stay has been shared with the entire team. I am happy to report that emergency maintenance on our elevator bank is nearing completion.

chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I planned our stay here based on some of the good reviews that I read here. I want so much to give this hotel four stars, but I can't.
When we got into our room, I could see that it had not been vacuumed. There was also a hair on the underside of the toilet seat. I told the front desk person and he called to get housekeeping to come and take care of the problem, which they did,but his interaction with me was pretty blasé.
This morning, I asked the breakfast attendant if he could please bring more bread for making toast. By the look on his face, you would have thought that I had asked for the crown jewels. I stood waiting by the toaster for more than ten minutes. I finally took a muffin.
The theme of the hotel is cute and cozy and the renovation is very nice. However, it would seem to me that some of the staff need a bit more pixie dust and direction.
Would I return? Possibly, if I had an occasion to visit this area of St Louis. Maybe by then there might be a few more smiles around here.

Room Tip: Walls are not that soundproof.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear firecracker47,
I am truly very disappointed to hear that your stay with us was anything but perfect. I would love the opportunity to discuss this matter with you in further depth. Please feel free to contact me at 314-647-7300 at your convenience.