“HANDS DOWN the best B&B we have ever been to in the US”
Review of Grand Center Inn

Grand Center Inn
Ranked #11 of 26 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
KC-MO
“HANDS DOWN the best B&B we have ever been to in the US”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

So Renato and Eric must be credited with doing what could only be a passion in recreating the home of the 19th century suffraget Elizabeth Avery Meriwether, wife of Col.Minor Meriwether of St. Louis (former Cofederate officer).
This house has been redone "to the nines" with frankly the best and most unique and attractive antiques.
The accomodationsw are NOT to be surpassed, the personalized breakfasts were freshly prepared gourmet productions. The extras in the room just added a specail touch.
Downtown but with private parking, it is just the perfect place to go.......

Now the ugly, they won the best B&B in 2011 and some competitors come and then wrote some of the bad reviews you see below.

This is a sad reflection but reality in a competitive world. You will be nothing short of overwhelmed at Renato and Erics time, stories and helpfulness. Not intrusive and for we who years ago moved from STL it was great to see what they have done.

COME here, you will be truly blown away.

Room Tip: We had the first floor room which has a deck and where Emily Meriwether spent her last years...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Breathdoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Marion, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband took me to the Grand Center Inn to celebrate my 50th Birthday. We chose this location because of it's proximity to the Fox Theater but we'll come again because the hospitality is second to none and the home is simply gorgeous! Breakfast was stupendous and they accommodated my my dietary requests beyond what I would have ever expected. We had so much fun visiting with the owners and the other guests. It was certainly a birthday to remember!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tracey B
Midwest
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Have stayed at this three-story tastefully-restored historic mansion three times. Comfortable beds, large rooms, immaculate, romantic/relaxing, in-room coffee/tea and bottled water. Owners' private quarters in basement, shared first floor holds office/check-in room, parlor, dining room, kitchen. The four guest rooms (7 eventually), all with private baths, are on 2nd & 3rd floors (stairs only). My favorite type of B&B - where you choose the level of privacy you want - you can choose to socialize or keep to yourself - either way you feel completely comfortable. Perfect location for visiting Fox Theater, Bistro Jazz Club, Sheldon Concert Hall, Powell Symphony Hall. Note: No sign out front but no problem finding the place with large address numbers easily visible and free parking right in front. I'm so glad they renovated and opened this treasure to the public! My only recommendation might be that the hosts pack a bag and spend a couple nites in each room to get a feel for what little extras or rearranging might be helpful - hook here, trash can there, luggage rack in this room, a throw over the leather sofa in the Repertory Suite (or extra blanket) - little things that aren't necessary but would make the place over-the-top perfect!

Room Tip: Rep Suite faces east but bedroom has south window; Sheldon has east and south windows; Sun has nort...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Airotciv
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grand Center Inn on a weekend getaway, based on the recommendations of Trip Advisor reviews. We were very happy with our stay. The Inn has been beautifully and tastefully restored. We enjoyed the Inn's proximity (and walkability) to some of the most beautiful and historic buildings in the downtown St. Louis area. We felt very safe in the neighborhood while we were staying there, plus there was TONS of free parking close to the Inn (even on a Saturday night when there were shows at the neighboring theaters).

Our room (the Sheldon) was very comfortable, we especially LOVED the huge bathroom. Plus everything was so clean and smelled so nice when we arrived. There was a nice rack in the room to hang our clothing on, but I do agree with another reviewer that a bench or a luggage rack would be really nice to have. The other small recommendation I would have would be for anti-bacterial hand soap to come standard in the rooms. We also had no soap when we got there, which was especially problematic as I had a cold, but when we asked our hosts they came right up with soap, no problem!

The breakfast was nice. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, pork roast, veggies, it was a light breakfast but perfect for us. The only thing I wished to see was half/half for the coffee, non-daily half and half isn't really the same and 2% milk isn't creamy enough, but that was a small thing!

We would definitely stay here again and were very pleased with our stay, our extremely accommodating hosts and with the overall loveliness of the Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jane W
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 19 October 2011

The Inn provided the perfect setting for our family reunion. We were quite a large group- 10 adults and 8 children! We especially enjoyed Eric and Renato's unending hospitality, scrumptious hot breakfasts; comfortable sleeps; the nice gated side lawn which was ideal for gathering in the sun and letting the children run; and the 4 course family Italian dinner that they prepared was amazing.

To address some concerns made by other reviewers: Eric & Renato are in the process of renovating a kitchen on the first floor - at which time, guests will have access to a fridge. In the meantime, they are more then happy to share the Inn's fridge with guests. They helped us store our picnic provisions. The breakfasts are truly amazing - copious fresh fruit (pineapple, blueberries, strawberries); hot oatmeal; pastries, warm bread, interesting meats. Renato made scrambled eggs fresh for the children each day! In the olden days, homes were not built with closets - Eric and Renato have provided for hanging clothes in each room. I think that the other reviewer's idea about the need to add luggage racks is a good one.

Eric & Renato, thank you for helping us create a memory that will be with us for a lifetime. Thanks too for all your efforts to preserve a piece of history...the Meirwether Mansion. Your Inn is truly amazing and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Anne F
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2011

One of the organization that I am a member traveled to St. Louis to attend a convention during October. After reading reviews about The Grand Center Inn, we decided to stay for the week. We were amazed at the service and beautification of this Bed and Breakfast. We a warm welcome from the hosts. A tour was given of the complete property and the beautification was breathtaking! Our rooms were extremely clean and the service was "First Class". The breakfast was delicious. This was such a wonderful B&B that we hated to depart. Our next convention will be held in St. Louis and we will be staying at The Grand Center Inn. Eric and Renato, thank you for making this such a wonderful trip.

Alicia

Room Tip: All of the Rooms are the very best
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alice L
memphis
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I lamented over writing this review because I hate to pick out negatives when there are positives.
I ultimately decided to write this as I wish I had seen such a review
when I was selecting a B & B for my recent trip.
I hope that this is taken as corrective criticism and in a positive light.
First off, the Inn could not have been cleaner. Everything was airy and clean.
The host were very friendly and cordial.
The rooms were well appointed and lovely and provided with water, coffee and
some wonderful cookies.
However, there was nowhere in our room to hang anything. The bathroom had a rack with
hooks, but there was no closet, armoire, hangers etc for any clothing items.
There was no luggage rack so I had to place my suitcase on the floor.
There was Dove shampoo and conditioner (I bring my own shampoo bath wash etc), but no soap or hand soap.
I used the shampoo to wash my hands.
All of the reviews I read raved about breakfast. However, I did not find that to be the case. The first
day there was potatoes, sausage, sliced pears and cheese and what appeared to be store bought croissants and muffins along with boxed cereal. And only 2% milk for coffee.
I had called in advance because my daughter is vegan and they said there would be no problem.
They thought she could eat the cheese (?)
They apparently did not understand what vegan was but said they would correct the issue on the second day.
The next morning they had a frittata with the same sausage, pears and cheese, and muffins.
There were no plates so we just opted to go eat at a wonderful restaurant for breakfast in St
Louis Central West End called Scape.
I travel a fair amount in the states and over seas. I understand Continental Breakfast and European Breakfast and big southern "Jethro" breakfast and this wasn't a good version of any of them.
I am 115 lbs and don't need a lot, but I do expect
a little something special at my B & B's since that is what the name implies.
The building is beautiful and has good bones and with a little effort could be a
wonderful B & B. Unfortunately due to my experience I would not visit again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends