“Great Food And Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama Josephine's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Josephine's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Description: It was reviewed in The Riverfront Times Magazine and it had rave reviews. We drove 75 miles to check it out and boy was it worth it. Such a gem..
Forest City, Iowa
“Great Food And Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

After having dinner at Sweetie Pie's the previous evening we were hoping to actually find some good tasting quality southern cooking while in St. Louis and did we ever find it at Mama Josephine's. A small restaurant for sure but the food was awesome. We were seated and the service was awesome. My wife had the Alabama Farm Raised Catfish and it was awesome. A selection of hot sauces was offered. My son had fried chicken. He wanted two legs, no problem. I had the meatloaf and it was very good. The cornbread was great and our drink glasses never got past half empty before being refilled. The owner came out to make sure everything was good and talked with us. I felt like we were in the home of a true friend instead of a restaurant. The hype of other southern/soul food restaurants lead you to think they are better but I think you will never find another restaurant as good as Mama Josephine's. A wonderful dining experience. The street parking is good as well.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Keith H

St. Charles
“The friendliest restaurant I have ever been to and yes the food is excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We absolutely loved our lunch here. This is home cooking with as another reviewer said all the love. We had the reuben sandwich and the meat loaf, both very well done. Slaw and hush puppies also good. My only regret was I was too full to eat dessert. We will return for sure. Some were still eating breakfast and the biscuits and gravy looked like heaven on a plate.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Wekick
Asheville, North Carolina
“There is love in this food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

If you love fried chicken, hot and juicy and oh, so crispy, you must go to Mama Josephines. Not only was it the best fried chicken I've ever tasted, the hushpuppies was fluffy and just the right crunch, the "fried" corn and the cornbread and fried okra were all delicious and made to order, And it's vegetarian friendly....you can even call ahead and get vegetarian pot pie!! To top it all off, pecan pie, right out of the oven, flaky, buttery, chuck full of pecans..Absolutely the best pecan pie you've ever tasted. Check out beautiful Mama Josephine's picture inside the cafe (we ate outside on a beautiful day). What a beautiful lady, who passed down her fantastic recipies, made with Love. We can't wait to come back with all our friends !! See you next week, if not sooner!!! Love, Marilyn

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Redhairrocks
Saint Louis, Missouri
“comfort food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a small cafe operated by the owner and her staff. She stays true to her family recipes and welcomes you as though to her home. It's not a place to count calories but worth the splurge.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank suburban-countess
Rockford, Illinois
“Pretty good southern style cookin'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

We like homestyle comfort food, so we checked this place out. My wife liked her pulled pork, and she's kinda picky. I had the meatloaf. It was okay. The hushpuppies were not my favorite, but they were decent. (Very thick crust on the outside and not onion-y enough for my taste. ) We both liked the mac and cheese and the banana pudding we had for dessert.
The service was very friendly and the small dining room is cozy with large windows looking out onto a residential neighborhood. There is also a small patio where you can eat outside. As the lady told us, everything there is made from scratch right there. I guess they run out of menu items pretty often (like the peach cobbler), but that's because it's not mass-produced. Next time I would go for the chicken n dumplings or the fried catfish.

• Visited March 2011