“Great Neighborhood Place”

Add it.
Mama Josephine's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: It was reviewed in The Riverfront Times Magazine and it had rave reviews. We drove 75 miles to check it out and boy was it worth it. Such a gem..
“Great Neighborhood Place”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Mama Josephine's is a small, neighborhood gem in the Tower Grove/Compton Heights area of South city. We went on a Saturday night around 6:00 and was surprised it wasn't busier. I had the fried catfish which was marvelous, and the stir-fried cabbage which was even better than the catfish. We saw the chicken and dumplings and the chicken-fried steak and both looked fabulous. We shared some peach cobbler but it was a little disappointing. Although it was home-made, it didn't have the good peach flavor that you'd expect from home-made peach cobbler. We originally ordered the banana pudding but they were out (at 6:30 on a Saturday). They were also out of turnip greens. We loved MJ's but you can't have a glass of wine or a beer with your dinner, which is a strike, but we loved the food, which was very reasonable. We will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Good cooking!”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The restaurant is a very small (probably holds 40) storefront in the Shaw neighborhood. The food is delicious and prepared with care. The chicken & dumplings is very popular as at least three orders were served at other tables on this visit. The Chef Salad was filling but there was no seasoning added to the lettuce greens--just lettuce, tomatoes, a little cheese, meat, hard-boiled egg and warm, toasted croutons. I asked for and was served cornbread which was actually a griddle cake but it was very good (but I think I was charged extra; no crackers were served with the salad). I'd had the chicken-fried steak before and it was a huge piece of well-seasoned meat with a flaky, coating; it was very satisfying.

Mama Josephine's is a very nice place to go for good food.

• Visited November 2012
“Authentic Southern Home-cooking”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Mama Josephine's offers the best of classic southern cuisine in a family atmosphere. All of the dishes are delicious and remind me of my own mother's cooking back in Georgia. I highly recommend the chicken & dumplings with a dessert of banana pudding.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank MagnaWhale
“bad experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Have been to Mama Josephines six or eight times and had previously been pleased--even wrote a positive review--but this was either a new chef or lack of quality control. The hush puppies were not cooked through--okay on the exterior but gooey in the center. The meatloaf didn't live up to prior taste. But the completely unacceptable entree was the fried chicken. The chicken legs had major amounts of blood (not raw) throughout. Very unappetizing. The service continues to be friendly but they wouldn't adjust the bill because of the bad chicken.

• Visited August 2012
Forest City, Iowa
“Great Food And Great Service”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

After having dinner at Sweetie Pie's the previous evening we were hoping to actually find some good tasting quality southern cooking while in St. Louis and did we ever find it at Mama Josephine's. A small restaurant for sure but the food was awesome. We were seated and the service was awesome. My wife had the Alabama Farm Raised Catfish and it was awesome. A selection of hot sauces was offered. My son had fried chicken. He wanted two legs, no problem. I had the meatloaf and it was very good. The cornbread was great and our drink glasses never got past half empty before being refilled. The owner came out to make sure everything was good and talked with us. I felt like we were in the home of a true friend instead of a restaurant. The hype of other southern/soul food restaurants lead you to think they are better but I think you will never find another restaurant as good as Mama Josephine's. A wonderful dining experience. The street parking is good as well.

• Visited July 2012