“Great find!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Josephine's
Cuisines: American
Description: It was reviewed in The Riverfront Times Magazine and it had rave reviews. We drove 75 miles to check it out and boy was it worth it. Such a gem..
st louis, mo
“Great find!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Went to Mama Josephine ' s for brunch recently and were blown away by the amazing flavors... just fantastic! A seemingly simple meal elevated to far more and an owner/chef who cares about everything and everyone made it even better.
We were there at a busy time and the biggest negative was the lack of attention the staff had toward customer refills and the items on the buffet. I really felt bad for the owner when she had to prompt her staff to refresh the buffet. Some appeared to need prompting for everything-- really poor initiative. The vibe came through in the dining room unfortunately, as this is a very small space.
The food is definitely worth trying. We will be back. Hopefully the staff will get their act together so the service matches the food.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jretpe

“Reminds me of home”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Ok, maybe I'm spoiled. I grew up eating southern-style food, but I'm here to tell you that you just can't find food like this just anywhere.

I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn bread and sweet tea. It was just about perfect, no kidding. The meatloaf was delicious, the potatoes were real (sounds funny but I hate instant potatoes), the green beans were seasoned just right, and the corn bread was how I like it, a bit gritty and not too sweet.

The place isn't that big inside, but seems to be in an ok neighborhood and parking wasn't a problem. There's a little patio outside if you prefer to eat out there.

The highlight of the place is the owner. She seems interested in her customers and will talk as much as you want about anything, especially about her mama's recipes.

Her mama would be proud. This is decent food that'll stick to your ribs and won't cost you an arm and a leg. My whole meal was around ten bucks. Can't beat that! My friends loved their meals too.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank labdaddy
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Soul Food in neighborhood setting”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Great homecooked food! We had the chicken fried steak and meatloaf with mac n cheese, fried okra, onion rings, and hush puppies. Wish we could have tried everything on the menu. Very good sweet tea and everything was homecooked and deliscious. Onion rings were excellent.

• Visited May 2013
“Great Neighborhood Place”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Mama Josephine's is a small, neighborhood gem in the Tower Grove/Compton Heights area of South city. We went on a Saturday night around 6:00 and was surprised it wasn't busier. I had the fried catfish which was marvelous, and the stir-fried cabbage which was even better than the catfish. We saw the chicken and dumplings and the chicken-fried steak and both looked fabulous. We shared some peach cobbler but it was a little disappointing. Although it was home-made, it didn't have the good peach flavor that you'd expect from home-made peach cobbler. We originally ordered the banana pudding but they were out (at 6:30 on a Saturday). They were also out of turnip greens. We loved MJ's but you can't have a glass of wine or a beer with your dinner, which is a strike, but we loved the food, which was very reasonable. We will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Good cooking!”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The restaurant is a very small (probably holds 40) storefront in the Shaw neighborhood. The food is delicious and prepared with care. The chicken & dumplings is very popular as at least three orders were served at other tables on this visit. The Chef Salad was filling but there was no seasoning added to the lettuce greens--just lettuce, tomatoes, a little cheese, meat, hard-boiled egg and warm, toasted croutons. I asked for and was served cornbread which was actually a griddle cake but it was very good (but I think I was charged extra; no crackers were served with the salad). I'd had the chicken-fried steak before and it was a huge piece of well-seasoned meat with a flaky, coating; it was very satisfying.

Mama Josephine's is a very nice place to go for good food.

• Visited November 2012