“Interesting and educational!”

Missouri Civil War Museum
Ranked #12 of 263 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Missouri Civil War Museum is housed in the old 1905 Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange (PX) and Gymnasium building, formerly part of the Jefferson Barracks military post, which is still an active military installation to this day. Renovations began in 2003, and were completed 10 years later in 2013, with an opening date of June 29, 2013. During the Civil War, the property which this museum is located upon, contained various hospital ward buildings, where suffering and death occurred, thus making this sacred ground, and a most appropriate location for a Missouri Civil War Museum, honoring our soldiers of the past and present.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting and educational!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited with my boyfriend after hearing and reading positive reviews--absolutely loved it! An interesting take on the Civil War, focusing on Missouri's critical role in the conflict--presentation of artifacts is both informative and entertaining. Jefferson Barracks is gorgeous and couldn't be a more appropriate location. I'd definitely visit again!

1 Thank HannaHoward

• Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting museum... Friendly staff”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My kids (boys ages 11 and 14) both have an interest in Civil War, so we added this to our to do list while in the St. Louis area. Definitely glad we did. It's a new museum (said the woman at the front desk, almost apologetically). Nothing to apologize for! Interesting information about Missouri's role in the events leading up to as well as during the war. Text was simple enough for school age children yet detailed enough for adults and older kids as well. Interesting artifacts, too. Appreciated the area (including video) dedicated to Civil War veterans. I had never seen footage of them before. Overall, a nice hour or so spent.

Crystal City
“Awesome Surprise”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Such an awesome surprise! Had no idea what I was in for, but so happy that I was able to visit and will go back. Very good exhibits and you must take the time for the movies. Was amazing to learn just what my state of Missouri had to do with this war. From working on my Family Tree, I found that many of my relatives fought in this war. To see what they endured shed a whole new light on their sacrifices. The building was clean and the staff was excellent. Thank you for bringing this to our city!

Singapore, Singapore
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Interesting lessons about the American Civil War and you will be inspired by the sacrifices of the people”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our group of 8 Singaporeans with scant knowledge of American history had an inspiring time at the Civil War Museum. We were meet at the counter by John. He was extremely helpful and friendly! The visit started with a short video that introduces the Jefferson house. As we walked through the exhibits, we began to understand the war and the reasons behind the fighting. The youngest among us learnt more about slavery and abolition in the one and a half hours than her past knowledge. Although it is not a big place, the fact that the entire museum was funded privately by donations and the quality of the exhibit and information were really impressive. At the end of the visit, we donated some money to the building fund and got the 150th video of the civil war. The final personal touch of John was great: He helped to take a group photo for our group. I would say it's worth a visit if you are around St Louis.

1 Thank BobLum
chicago
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Surprisingly interesting”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were looking for something to do before it was time to check into the hotel. I has looked this up online and it sounded good.

It was interesting to learn about the Civil War in Missouri, where they were actually fighting their own private war.

The exhibits were good. The long movie downstairs was excellent and even though they warn people with children that it is graphic, I think a notice outside the theater would be good, because parts of it can be disturbing to sensitive people.
I enjoyed learning about the history of the building and the barracks.