“Location...Location”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washingtion
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Being right by the Fox Theatre explains the customer base for this restaurant. Imagine that concerts & theatrical runs explain why they would be pretty busy or not.

Had expected a large wood fire grill to be featred when we entered the restaurant; if it existed, I missed it. No big deal, I guess. The greeting was pleasant and we were seated promptly. Explaining to our waitstaff that we had plenty of time before the show at the Fox, we were not rushed, or forgotten - both much appreciated.

The menu was smaller than we had anticipated; maybe a half dozen choices. The food was decent and fairly priced. Full bar available.

If you are mid-town St. Louis and heading to the Fox Theatre, make a reservation and then just walk over to the venue after dinner.

JB
Midway, Arkansas

There are newer reviews for Kota Wood Fire Grill

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Went to the Grill with friends before seeing Memphis at the Fox.

The hostess who seated us was delightful. The waiter was very friendly.

Two of us ordered the fish sandwich with Mahi Mahi. It came on a Hawaiin bun with a side of your choice-- fresh fruit, an edemame and corn salad, or fries.The portion of fish was large and it was cooked to perfection, it was placed on a bun with cole slaw. Unfortunately, it had no flavor. The edemame salad was very good but the fruit side was pathetic--it consisted of a few sliced up pieces of melon and one grape! It looked tired.

One of us ordered a poboy sandwich with catfish and French Onion Soup. The catfish came fried on the bun and not grilled. The French Onion soup turned out to be a broth with a few square pieces of onion at the bottom. It was sent back to the kitchen and gumbo was ordered. Our friend said the gumbo was so salty that you could taste the salt. He had to get some water at the show.

The last person ordered a hamburger and said it was good. It had bacon and cheese as a topping and was a nice size.

The location was convenient to the theatre and since we were going to another close-by theatre the following night, we discussed whether or not to return to this restaraunt. Since we really like good food we decided we will not eat here again.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I attempted to go to Kota a few months ago after booking a 7:30 pm reservation. After calling them to advise we would be about 10 minutes late, we arrived and were then informed that we had to order quickly because they are out of many items and are closing at 8:00 pm due to the restrooms not working. Since we prefer not to be rushed with our dining experience, we left and called the manager the next day in which we received a $50 gift card to try another visit. We decided yesterday to give them another try and again were deeply disappointed. As we walked in we were asked if we would mind sitting in the lower dining room because no tables were available in the bar (even though all but 2 were empty, they just obviously hadn't been cleared or cleaned). After being seated, we ordered a bottle of wine which the server then returned with the wrong one (which was at least good so we kept it.) We then proceeded to check out the menu to order our food...to my surprise many simple items on the menu were spelled incorrectly and I was shocked that they didn't even proof read it before showing it to customers. The service was not great and the food I probably could have lived without, in other words if I didn't have a gift card (which I had due to poor service prior) I probably would have left before my meal was even ordered. One more thing to add...again they were out of items listed on the menu so don't get your hear set on one particular item, you may be let down.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I’ve been to Kota a few times before seeing a show at the Fox. It’s right across the street and they seem to cater to the theatre crowd. The food has been good both times I’ve been. They have a small menu with several seafood items. I went for the first time on a Sunday and they had a special for appetizers. The service was good on the first visit, but there also weren’t a lot of people there. The second time the service wasn’t great in terms of getting our drinks refilled, but the restaurant was also full. They were out of bread and the meal that I wanted! I would go back especially for the appetizers (I loved the shrimp and grits) and the sweet potato fries were really good too! The prices are to be expected (about 8-14 for appetizers, sandwiches, and salads; 18-30 for entrees; 6-8 for drinks). If you are going around show time, you might want to make a reservation as it fills up really fast. They seemed to have a good selection of cocktails on the menu and several tables were full of colorful drinks that looked delicious!

Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I have season tickets to the Fox, and we always try to eat at a restaurant near to the theater. Recently we had tickets to a show, there had been bad weather earlier in the day, so we decided to go to dinner at Kota (we parked in the garage at Olive and Grand which made it easy). Our waiter was very nice. We started with cucumber martinis which are very refreshing. The menu has changed. It seems to be a smaller menu with some of my favorite items no longer on the menu. We had the calamari for an appetizer. These are not the small little fried rings you get at other restaurants. These were actually substantial strips of good meat, fried, and served with a dipping sauce. Very tasty! My husband had the Crab Louie salad which was piled high with fresh crab meat. He enjoyed it very much. I had the beef medallions which I thought were very tasty. I did splurge and have a Kota21 adult milkshake for dessert, as they only serve cake and creme brulee. The milkshake was a caribbean shake that tasted like a pina colada, only more decadent. Worth the calories. Now would I say that this is the most fabulous restaurant in St Louis? No. I've been to several places with more gourmet choices. However, the location is so convenient to the Fox, and the food decent, that I would return in the future.