“AWESOME”

Ranked #69 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Derby, Kansas
“AWESOME”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed at MAC for the first time in March 2013. It takes a lot to impress my husband and I can tell you he was VERY impressed! The staff was exceptionally helpful, the room was awesome. It was the first time MAC opened their rooms for the Supercross event and we made sure to ask they do this again! We have been attending the supercross downtown at the dome for 11 years and have stayed in just about every hotel around the dome and MAC, by far, was the best yet! The only complaint I have is the only place we had wireless was if we were sitting in the bathroom!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you very much for the wonderful review! We had many guests staying with us for the Supercross event and certainly plan on welcoming guests of this and other events at the Edward Jones Dome back to the MAC. I sincerely apologize for the poor wireless internet signal in your room. I understand how frustrating that can be. We are currently upgrading and expanding our entire internet system to prevent such issues from happening. We hope to see you again whenever your travels bring you to St. Louis and thank you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Marion, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I recently booked this hotel as it was located perfectly in the downtown area of several places we needed to go to. Everything was within walking distance and I was pleased with the staffs assistance with direction and offerance to call cabs or use their shuttle service. The hotel lobby and adjoining rooms were all unbelievably beautiful. It was like walking back in time and I was pleased that they kept the beauty and didn't go commercial. The rooms were a bit less attractive, however the suite we had was clean and the linens were new and fresh. The televisions were also very new, and I was pleased with the rates. The staff was very kind and I never once felt unwelcomed, as a female I felt comfortable and was treated well. I will admit that the hotel does have a bit of a "ghostly" feel to it at night though. With over 100 years of history I imagine it would! I will always go to the MAC when in St. Louis!

Room Tip: pay the little bit extra and get a suite, it's only $10 more a night and well worth the extra ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review! I am very pleased that you enjoyed the historic building, service, and convenient location. Most of all I am happy to hear that you felt comfortable and were treated well by everyone. We hope to see you back very soon and thank you again for staying with us!

Zach Freeman
Rooms Manager
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Exceptional front office staff who were extremely helpful after I accidentally booked the wrong date. Rooms were clean. Close and safe parking garage (don't recall this being mentioned in the website. Close proximity to stadium, although we suffered from some sidewalk crowd noise that filtered through our windows as the stadium crowd went home at 11 PM. Unique atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dwither1
Zach F, Rooms Manager at Missouri Athletic Club, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your review! I couldn't agree more that we really do offer our guests a unique atmosphere and experience while staying at the MAC. Even with our rich history, great location and extensive facilities, I believe our most valuable asset is our staff so I am very pleased to hear them described as "exceptional!" I apologize for the noise heard from the Edward Jones Dome crowd as they let out and hope that it did not disturb your slumber for very long. Even though you experienced this I thank you again for the positive review and we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Zach Freeman
Rooms Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Classic older property that is well maintained with service levels that are off the chart. It is a private club facility and I found all staff and members to friendly and helpful. The rooms are compact and comfortable. I was immediately made to feel right at home during my brief 15 hour stay. I arrived earlier that the posted check-in and was immediately accomodated. I had a wonderful well prepared and serviced lunch. The early check out the next moring was friendly and seamless.

When in St. Louis again, I will attempt to stay at this location.

If you looking for flat screen televisions and a glitzy bar, this is not the place for you. If you want great service levels in a warm and comfortable environment, give this property a try.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review! Staying overnight at the MAC is certainly a different feeling than a typical hotel and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We have many guests say that our club offers a warm and comfortable atmosphere and it is always great to hear when someone enjoys interacting with our warm and friendly staff. Thank you again for your positive review and we hope to see you again soon!
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here October 19-21, 2012. We were in town specifically for a high school band competition at the Edward Jones Dome, so I wanted something close that we could ride the Metrolink and walk everywhere because we didn't want to rent a car. Turns out, the Cardinals were playing the NLCS that weekend, as well as the Packers were in town and a huge marathon on Sunday.

The building is over 100 years old, so I knew certain ammenities would be missing. My biggest request is clean. Overall, it was pretty clean. The pictures that someone put on this page are pretty accurate, but I think a lot of what you see is just age. The ground floor is beautiful and the food at the restaurants is great. We didn't use any of the workout facilities or the olympic size pool, so I cannot give any review on that.

Once you get up to the floors where the rooms are located, the hallways look like they could use some attention. The rooms (or at least the 2 I saw) do not have any bathtubs...only showers. And, there are absolutely no electrical outlets in the bathrooms. The outlets in the room itself is limited and around the TV/desk area, there is usually a power strip available. For us, it wasn't enough to plug in a hair dryer, 3 smartphones, flat iron, desk lamp, etc. So, we had to compromise one thing for another.

I don't know about all of the rooms, but the outside noise is bad. Sometimes, it sound like the car on the street is in your room. And, whomever was in the room next to us awoke us both mornings at 5:30 with their extracurricular activities. Also, there is no room service. We never use this function, but it may be important to someone.

The location of the hotel was perfect for what we were there for. They had a shuttle that took us to Busch Stadium for the game and the cab ride back was only $7 for 3 people. The Metrolink that goes all the way to the airport was A block away and cost $2.25 each. If you walk out of the hotel's back door, you are a block away from the Edward Jones Dome, a couple blocks from LaClede's Landing, the Gateway Arch, the Lumiere Casino....We had no problem getting where we needed to be.

My biggest complaint was that there is no fast food within walking distance. The closest fast food is McDonald's and it is 8 blocks away, which is not walking distance. But, all in all, it was a decent hotel for the price. We felt safe and it was clean enough.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MandyMcCain
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My husband and I shose this hotel for the history, and the fitness ammenities. We weren't expecting a modern, updated room, so we weren't dissapointed by the small bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room was large (king). What really dissapointed us was the overwhelming chauvinism and arrogance. It should have been called the "Men's Cigar Club". My husband was the first to notice BTW. I'm no feminist, but it was like going back to 1950. The fact that they all sat in the bar and smoked cigars was very unapealing and made everthing stink. The athletic facilities were large, but again, I was looked at by the men (mostly "original members!) like I shouldn't be there. Overall, they do a great job at making women feel very unwelcome. This is all about the members who go there BTW, not the hotel staff - who were very helpful despite their arrogant members. We won't return

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ariel p

Travellers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed this past Saturday night. Booked a standard room with two queen beds for two adults through Travelocity. Got into our room to find one bed. Went back to the lobby and was told the info they got from Travelocity indicated we had booked a room with only one bed (I called Travelocity and they did take ownership to that mistake). Since the hotel was full, the only thing they could do was bring up a rollout bed.

When that person came, she brought the roll out into the room, but did not offer to help set it up. No big deal, I suppose, but another small thing to add to my frustration.

The place is old, but I would stay overall, it's somewhat kept up. The room was in decent shape and the addition of a ceiling fan made the room cooler, temperature wise.

My biggest gripe was the bathroom. The toilet paper dispenser was broken, and the tiled wall had cracks throughout. There is no sink space/countertop, just a small shelf above it. The bathroom floor and shower is all squared tiled. The overall appearance of the bathroom just didn't make me feel good about stepping foot in that shower.

Hotels were limited this night, so I only needed a room since I was going to be at a Cardinals game. I didn't use the gym, or eat at any of the restaurants. The lobby is nice, and our room was decent, but the old worn out bathroom was gross.

Location wise, it's on Washington Ave., so it's close to the Landing and the other night life. Not far from the Arch, Busch Stadium or the stadium where the Rams play. There is a convenience store across the street, and parking was $10 for the night. There was also free WiFi.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends