“St. Louis' best treasure”

St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
Ranked #35 of 275 things to do in Saint Louis
Reviewed 20 May 2014

As a professional classical musician, I have made an effort to see the major orchestras in person, multiple times (vienna, Berlin, New York, concertgebouw). SLSO stands among this group any day without a doubt. Best part: the tickets are affordable, and the programs are diverse. Robertson and the musicians are amongst the finest in the world. Needless to say, Powell Hall is a gorgeous gem from another era.
(Side note: Powell's bar serves great booze)

2  Thank Max_Carol
in 23 reviews
"tribute"
"composer"

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Don't forget the pops concerts - Powell Symphony Hall isn't just for classical music! The SImply Sinatra concert was incredible - one of the most enjoyable performances we've seen (anywhere!) in a very long time!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We visited St. Louis and were treated to a terrific performance of the SLSO, David Robertson (music director), and guest performers playing Dvorak and new music as well. We see a lot of orchestras, and this one is superb, based on our March experience. Powell Hall is a beautiful venue. What a lucky city!

And in the "off season," Robertson is conductor of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, another place to catch his remarkable leadership.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We took my father to see the St. Louis Symphony and singer Steve Luppia - sings Frank Sinatra songs. We are symphony fans, and when we decided to buy tickets for this show we had no idea just how good Steve would be. Let's just say that my 82 year old father was thrilled. The symphony paired well with this singer and made the transport back in time for my father a great experience. Just another reason we love the STL Symphony!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Have enjoyed visiting Powell Hall in the Grand Arts District for over a decade to hear the SLSO perform classical, pops, & holiday music. In fact, I have them to, in part at least, thank for my love of classical music, as one of the first performances I attended was Mahler 2, truly one of the most stirring pieces of music ever composed. Director David Robertson is superb in both his selection & direction, & has quickly risen to become one of the world preeminent young conductors. There's also no shortage of fine soloists, both from the orchestra's leading regular players & as guests. In my all too limited visits over the years I've heard Gil Shaham & Itzhak Perlman. The SLSO should be a regular destination for St. Louisans & for visiting music lovers.