“Very fun way to start out trip”

St. Louis Fun Trolley Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a 90 minute, fully narrated tour of St. Louis aboard a heated/air-conditioned trolley with bells, brass rails and cushioned seats!
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our family rode the trolley on the first morning of our trip and it was great. Our driver was funny and very informative. Our kids really enjoyed it.

1  Thank sunlover40
"free activities"
in 6 reviews
"well worth the money"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"downtown area"
"buy tickets"
"art museum"
"the loop"

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've lived near or in St. Louis all my life, but decided to give a trolley tour a go one day. Glad I did! Dusty, the driver, knew a lot about the city, and he's a funny guy. I was on with some folks from Cleveland in town for a wedding. Dusty was able to provide them info on the city, attractions, restaurants, etc.

It was fun, and I admit to some pride, listening to the city's guests show genuine surprise (and even awe) at what the city has to offer, much of which Dusty could explain was "absolutely free." Ironically, one of the trolley-riders was wearing a Route 66 shirt. When Dusty told our group we had literally just turned on to a stretch of the famous road, the passenger exclaimed "No way!" and eagerly scanned the area.

Of course, as a native, I knew about Route 66, most of the restaurants and which attractions in the city are free. (Here's a hint - a lot of the big ones in town are, excluding the ride to the top of The Arch, but including the museum below it.) Here's the thing - I learned a number of things about the city I never knew, and was reminded of others. I won't give spoilers, but there were several things I learned ranging from relevant notes of the city's history, to interesting facts/trivia about local businesses to driving by the childhood home of a favorite local celebrity.

If you're visiting St. Louis, take the tour. It goes quickly - just short of an hour and a half, and it feels like less than that because it flies. But you'll learn a lot and can use the tour to help set your vacation itinerary for more in-depth exploration.

If you're from St. Louis, take an afternoon to re-visit your city. Combine this with a day at the zoo or a brewery tour (yeah, those would be a couple of the freebies in town), and you'll have a great day.

3  Thank Mike N
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were staying at the Union Station Hotel and sure wished that the trolley would have stopped there to pick us up. They could use another point of origin. We walked to the Gateway Arch area and then had to walk through great highway/bridge construction to find the casino lobby that the trolley calls home.

It was freezing and starting to snow. We did not rent a car for our stay in St. L., so we were grateful for the informative tour guide and the opportunity to see places out of our walking distance. We know now where we want to go when we return to St. Louis in the future when we have a car.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

this is the best thing to do as soon as you arrive. they take you to alot of the big highlights in the city and surrounding areas. there is so much free stuff to do while here and they will point that all out. very fun and entertaining.

3  Thank medicn8
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Once the trolley tour got going, it was a fantastic experience. The trolley held about 30 people, and was relatively comfortable. The tour lasted about an hour and a half, and went by a lot of major landmarks in the city. I have lived in St. Louis for about 3 years and still learned new information about the city and some of its landmarks. Even my sister-in-law who grew up in St. Louis said she found out some things she didn't know. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and polite. I think the tour is more geared toward adults and it probably won't keep the attention of young children (we took a 4-year old and he ended up falling asleep). There was one stop in Forest Park where you were able to use the restroom, but it's only a quick 5-minute stop (and I don't think it's really meant to be a bathroom break).

I saw the tour being offered as a LivingSocial deal, and called the company to ask about making reservations. I was told they don't take reservations and that it was first-come, first-serve situation. We arrived at the casino and "checked in" about 30 minutes before the tour was supposed to start. I checked with the person at the casino gift shop multiple times to make sure I was checked in, and she said I was fine and I shouldn't worry about getting onto the 10 AM tour. There appeared to be a decent number of people waiting for the tour, so we got in line pretty quickly to make sure we got on. We managed to get onto the trolley (we had a group of 8), but there were a lot of people that didn't make it on. My understanding of the situation was that there was some confusion with how to check in/register the people with the LivingSocial deal and they had essentially overbooked the tour. The "check in" process was very unorganized, resulting in a lot of people not making it on the trolley for the time they showed up for.

The tour guide had said they had only had about 10 people on the previous Saturdays in December that they had been running the tour. Apparently, they didn't realize what the LivingSocial plus a holiday weekend plus good weather would do for their business. I know there were a lot of frustrated people that didn't make it on the tour, and rightfully so. There needs to be a better process for registering for the tour, especially with a LivingSocial deal being offered. I would still recommend taking this tour as it is very enjoyable and informative, but I would get there early and hold your spot in line to make sure you get on the trolley. If you're going to a later tour, just know that you may not be able to get on if there were people unable to fit on the earlier tours that waited to get on to the later tours.

4  Thank Sara F