“Did not feel safe; nasty carpet; very thin walls”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cary, North Carolina
“Did not feel safe; nasty carpet; very thin walls”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Upon arrival, I thought this hotel was so much better than it turned out to be. It has a lot of potential: good sized rooms, comfortable bed, nice amenities (e.g., coffee maker, frig, breakfast and free Wi-Fi on club level floors, nice bar area). However, the food was mediocre, and very expensive. The drink menu was disappointing as well. The carpet in the room just looked nasty. It looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. The coffee pot was nasty. I had to clean it really well before using it. The walls were very thin. I could hear the neighbor's private moments as I was standing and looking out my window one morning. The front desk people provide inconsistent information so it's hard to be clear on what they do and don't offer.

The people who work in the restaurant are great. The guy who takes care of the club level breakfast room is very good also. He is very accommodating and helpful.

A lot of the guests that stayed there looked very rough! One large group of women paraded through the hall at night (after midnight) as if it was a daytime party in the hall! They weren't teenagers. They were grown women acting like it was their own private place, shouting and laughing and stomping. There were A LOT of REALLY rough looking people coming in and out off of the street at various times of day. I'm sure they weren't guests. It did not feel safe. Even waiting out front by the bell stand for my taxi, I saw rough looking people driving through and getting in and out of their cars and parking them there. They weren't guests. So not sure why they were parking their nasty looking bomb vehicles there. Basically, a lot of thug looking people wandered in and out from the street...one on the same floor as me...and wasn't sure if he was a guest or just one of the "wanderers".

Saturday night, after returning from my concert, the hotel was flooded with these types who were apparently there for a "party" someone was having in their room or something. The hotel security guy and the manager on staff said there was nothing they could do about it b/c a legitimate guest was coming down to usher them up. I asked if they didn't have any rules or anything about allowing people to just come and party in the rooms of the guests (especially when they looked so ROUGH). They acted like 'duh'... no. There's nothing we can do about it. I started to get on the elevator and just stepped backwards off of it due to the 'characters' on the elevator who looked just too scary for me to feel comfortable. Even on Sunday morning, after mentioning the "wanderers" from the street coming in and out, the front desk clerk said she had been there all morning and hadn't seen any. Right after that, two of them walked in from the street and around the corner to the bathroom on the main floor. She was oblivious.

Anyway - I won't go back there. Plus, the area surrounding the hotel is also scary.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites.

We are deeply sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience. Your comments have been reviewed by our Executive Committee, and steps have been taken to ensure that another guest does not have the same experience. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. Safety and Security of our guests is of the utmost priority during their stay.

Thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

With our very best regards,

Your Sheraton Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Missouri
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Location gets you across street from bus and metro. Nice big room for mother & daughter trip. Wallpaper peeling. ceiling by vent dirty, needs TLC. But bath and beds so clean! Gracious staff. Alarms went off twice in one hour only complaint

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel, and for giving us the opportunity to demonstrating our commitment to total customer satisfaction. Good or bad, we truly believe that feedback is a gift. It was gratifying to read that you rated your stay as excellent; your comments will be shared with our Team. With feedback from conscientious guests such as you, we can continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations.

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and associates are our paramount priority. We are committed to ensuring we provide a safe and comfortable environment during your stay with us. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Your Sheraton Family
Pleasant View, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We traveled from TN (8 of us adults) and 5 friends from MO met here to attend the Predators/Blues hockey game and hang out. We all arrived at different times, but had coordinated our visit with the staff, who were very accomodating, and put us all on the same floor. We paid for club level and SO glad we did. There is a room on the club level (with tv and computer) where we all met, hung out, drank (we brought our own drinks), while we decided on what to do next. This club room is also where the continental breakfast is served in the morning. The rooms are very spacious, the beds are very comfortable. The toiletries were much more than typical. I didn't really notice anything antiquated as stated in previous reviews. There's a bar/restaurant downstairs - but it's pricey, a grilled cheese is $17. All the staff was user-friendly as previous reviews indicate. My only frustration was that the hotel "held" some type of deposit on our credit cards for two of the rooms - not all rooms just mine and my brother's - for almost a week, and the rest of the billing was confusing because we ended up with several charges on our credit card. However, like they said, the "held" charges were all cleared and we paid only what we should have. I would recommend, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Linda H.,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent visit to St. Louis to attend the Predators/Blues hockey game. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your comments on the TripAdvisor website after your departure.

We are very glad to see that you remark our spacious hotel rooms, the comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, and that you and your friends enjoyed the perks offered in our club lounge.

And we were also pleased to learn that you experienced what we try to instill in our associates, “going above and beyond” and ensuring that our hotel is our guests’ “home away from home”.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience encountered with the deposits held on your card, we failed to indicate that the hold could take from 1 to 7 business days depending on the card holders bank institution. We would like to give you further details regarding options when using debit or credit cards at your next stay.

Thank you again for your patronage and your kind feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next visit in St. Louis and hope we can prove our high standard of total customer satisfaction.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I arrived with a large group way before check in but the staff was anticipating t the crowd and was ready to get us checked in. They were extremely nice and organized.

The elevators worked well so previous issues reported here are no longer an issue. Be advised there are 2 bays of elevators. One is for residents and the other hotel guests.

The room was very large and overlooked an atrium on the 5th floor that echoed tremendously. The heavy room curtains did wonders blocking the noise. The room was huge and they king bed was extremely comfortable. I had a late night but was completed tested in the morning. Pillows were plenty! The layout of the room allowed distance between the bathroom and bed area so I would imagine that would be nice if sharing the room.

We had meetings all day on the 13th floor which was a perfect setup. Congrats to the staff for making such accommodations available.

The indoor pool was clean and the room temperature warm. It felt very Spa like.

The bar was not staffed well considering our larger group and there wye some inconsistent messages regarding breakfast. Bistro 14 had a great breakfast menu and buffet with specific gluten free options including French Toast.

Overall a nice stay!

• Stayed February 2014
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest Rheerdink:

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent stay. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience after your departure. It is valued conscientious guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

First impressions are important, and we are delighted to hear that your large group check-in was so easy! Thank you for sharing that you found our staff to be nice and accommodating. We thoroughly enjoy going the extra mile to help you create a beautiful experience.

It is pleasing that you remarked the spacious rooms that we offer, the comfortable indoor pool, and that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed, which is available for purchase at Sheraton.com.

We are also pleased to read that you appreciate the food offers in our Bistro 14 restaurant and that you were satisfied with the conference accommodations. We appreciate your great kudos for our associates, we have passed on your comments to them.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences encountered at the bar and with the messages indicated about breakfast. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure those similar situations do not re-occur. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable feedback.

Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

With warm regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I don't write many reviews, especially if the reviews are consistent with the product. But when I read through all the reviews and now experienced one night, I thought I should do one. The purpose of my one-night stay was simply to avoid travel in snow conditions to/from a Blues game. I used the SPG points (3500) & cash ($55) option to book and pay for the room.

To preface, I will admit I am a hotel snob and appreciate the five-star properties in which I stay for work due to the nature of my job on an average of 50 nights a year. However, when I travel personally due to having a young child, I prefer suite-style hotels with an indoor pool. I believe there are only two hotels in downtown STL that have an indoor pool, and it works well for winter events at Scottrade Center that this is across the street with easy airport travel access if needed.

The front desk staff is great. The young ladies I dealt with at check-in (T...) and check-out (Amy) were professional and very helpful. "T" made sure my room had a tub to meet my daughter's needs, and I appreciated having a view so we could all watch the road conditions.

We had an accessible room, and it was very spacious with the wet bar and mini-fridge. Our particular bedroom had two queens and you could have fit a third one in the sitting area. The bedding looked newer and fresh. As everyone has stated, the furniture is out-dated but really doesn't matter to me. They have large flat screens in both rooms, and as a sports fan, you couldn't ask for better programming. They probably had the best selection of channels including MLB, NHL, all of the major cable sports channels i.e. ESPN family, CBS Sports, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports Midwest, NBC Sports along with the regular cable channels and Showtime. The amenities were decent quality but they also provide a mini-loofah, travel size shaving cream in addition to the standards. I love the loofah...I stay at Ritz & Four Seasons hotels often, and though they provide shower gels, they don't provide the loofah. Just a nice touch. They had glassware but also packaged plastic cups, which I'm sure germaphobes appreciate.

The pool was clean, and they had towels and even "noodles" available. The WiFi is ok, and I wish I'd known that it would not handle YouTube/video loads but anymore, most hotels are charging additional fees for this capability. For $10.99, it was a fair (ideal would be complimentary basic internet in all hotels but that's another issue). We had the breakfast buffet in Columns, and the food was good and nice that my daughter ate for free with adult buffet. Glad we did that instead of room service.

Parking is great here because it is a garage, and that was another reason for us staying here during the storm. It was $17 self-park per vehicle, very reasonable.

The only issue encountered was with the elevators. They were working on them but they made frequent stops without anyone being around so it was a little nuisance. The hotel room halls were well-lit and the only negative was the carpet was in need of a good cleaning. Doesn't need replacing but just a serious good cleaning.

We end up staying here once a year or every couple of years. It's a great stay for Blues, Cardinals, any downtown events like the Komen race when we often stay here for that. The price is reasonable, and you can find deals without much effort. We were so glad we decided to stay rather than battle the conditions.

Room Tip: Room with a view; avoid interior/atrium view rooms
Green Features: Good recycling options available, especially the SPG option to receive points if you don't choose housekeeping service
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest SportsnBizTravel:

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience on Trip Advisor after your departure. It is valued conscientious guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

You are so kind to write such a glowing review of your visit to our hotel. It is pleasing that you remarked the perfect location of our hotel, the spacious room with all the amenities that we offer, and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our associates.

We are also happy that you appreciate the food offers in The Columns restaurant, the comfort of having an indoor pool for your family to enjoy and the convenience of the self-parking option.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused with elevators and the condition of the carpet. We take our guests feedback extremely seriously and will be taking action on your observations.

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come when we will do our best to exceed all of your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can provide.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My stay at this Sheraton was very good. Check in was quick and professional. The room was GREAT. I had a two queen suite and the room was huge. Literally the size of a small apartment. Very clean. Comfy beds. Really liked it. I wasn't in it much, my night was kind of crazy.

I needed to use the shuttle to an event and the only hiccup in my stay was the front desk couldn't really tell me much about the shuttle. So, I was just kind of confused. The doorman had the info I needed though, so good job doorman.

Also, went to the bar for drinks and I asked for a drink list. I was given one but I guess since the drink was complicated they didn't make it. The crowd was too big? So, I guess they don't make their specialty drinks unless there's only like two people in the place because there really wasn't a gigantic crowd. I just thought that was weird. I've never had a bartender tell me, "No, don't order the 12 dollar drink because it's too busy."

Room Tip: I think I was upgraded because I am a rewards member, so if you can, join the rewards program and ma...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and your honest feedback. It is our aim to offer our guests an entirely satisfactory experience at the Sheraton St. Louis City Center.
I truly apologize for the lackadaisical attitude of some of the staff you encountered. This level of service is not typical. The issues have been addressed with the front office and food and beverage teams to ensure similar situations do not re-occur. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable feedback.
We were also happy to read that you acknowledge the assistance of our doorman, your remarks about your very good stay, quick and professional check in and that you liked your great, comfy and clean suite room. Thank you again for your kind words.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to St. Louis.

With warm regards,

Clay Center, Kansas
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here after on a recent trip to St. Louis for a Blues hockey game. Hotel is 1 block from the Scottrade Center and across the street from the Amtrak station. Hotel looks to be an old warehouse. Furnishings are a bit outdated, but the room was very clean. Bed was extremely comfortable. Double rooms were very spacious with a separate living room with TV separated by the bathroom. Would stay here again if in St. Louis especially if attending another sporting event. Only about 5 blocks from Busch Stadium.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KansasTraveler5
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear KansasTraveler5,

It was a privilege having you as our guest, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

You are correct; the building was a Brown’s Shoe and then a JC Penny warehouse in the early 1900’s. Approximately 12 years ago the building was converted to our hotel offering the most spacious guestrooms in the city while maintaining its’ historical charms. Our goal is to have our entire hotel be as warm and welcoming as our recently renovated Lobby and Fitness Center.

I want to assure you that all of us here at The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel are dedicated to total customer satisfaction; and hope we your hotel of choice on your next visit to St. Louis.

Mark Wright,