“Great stay but needs some TLC”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great stay but needs some TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hotel has a very large and elegant lobby. Check in was fast and the staff was very friendly. It has a very large pool, hot tub and a great gym. Also a nice lounge and restaurant on site. Restaurant prices are very very high. Overall hotel is very clean and even though the hotel is very large the room was quiet. In room a/c was very quiet too. The in room sofa and chair was worn and the hide away sofa bed was almost in shambles. The room has a wet bar with a microwave and refrigerator with complimentary water and starbucks coffee and tea. Great cable selection. There is a charge for parking but you can park on the street for free on the weekend. Definitely would stay here again. Seriously, Hotel management if you are reading this, there is no reason this shouldn't be a 5 star hotel. Two major complaints from people are lack of customer service and cleanliness. Two complaints that fall on the managements shoulders--no excuses. You also need to replace the worn furniture in the rooms and emphasize deep cleaning to housekeeping and lower the restaurant prices. $22.95 for a two egg breakfast!! This is sleepy St. Louis not Paris France!

Room Tip: Rooms next to highway can be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear RPank,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and we are extremely disappointed that your stay was less than satisfactory and less than the Sheraton experience you should have received. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding the cleanliness and service you received in. Whilst I can assure you that any neglect experienced on this occasion would have been as a result of thoughtlessness rather than intent, you have my assurances that the issues raised have been addressed to prevent a similar reoccurrence in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Manitoba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Pulled into St Louis Saturday afternoon looking for a place to stay went to the Sheraton, told them we were 2 adults and 2 children and asked if they had any rooms available they said yes we agreed even thought it was a little pricey but the location is good so we figured it would be fine. We got to the room and it was a king suite which was not ideal but figured the kids could sleep on the pull out for one night, we could make it work. Then at bed time I said to the kids bath time, but no the tap in the tub is so corroded that it is stuck in the shower position so we couldn't even fill the tub so they had to shower which really also wasn't the end of the world but not what we would have chosen. So after the screaming match of showers it was time for bed or so we thought. We went to pull out the hide a bed and there are springs everywhere and parts missing. We called down and they said they would have the maintenance people come check, they were there right away and had a look and said the same thing we did and said they would not be able to fix it so to call back and see if they could move us or what we were to do. So we called back down (from the bed room that was another issue the phone in the main room didn't work) we were told that we could get roll away beds but would be charged for them!! NOT we said no that would not be happening they were charging us enough that we needed somewhere for our kids to sleep and that they knew there was 4 of us when they pit us in this room. So they ended up having the manager call, they got us the roll away beds and gave us a small discount for the inconveniences.
The only good thing about this hotel is the location it's dated and not what we have come to expect from a Sheraton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tripgirl76
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Tripgirl76

Let me say that we are extremely sorry and disappointed that your stay here at property was less than the Sheraton experience you should have received. We endeavor to do our best to create a great guest experience and we really take it to heart when we fail. We fully empathize with the sentiments regarding the cleanliness and condition of your guestroom during your stay. Our leadership team has reviewed the breakdowns that occurred throughout your visit and steps have been taken to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

We are as concerned as you are about the circumstances described in your correspondence. Personnel in our Operations Team use a program of preventative maintenance and other means to prevent this kind of displeasure, especially with valued guests such as your. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding.

West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We decided to upgrade ourselves to a junior suite on the club floor and it was great! Only problem was we were right next to the freeway and bedroom was a little noisy. Service in the hospitality room was superior. Food was good and appreciated the convenience. Did not think this hotel was rundown. It's not new but has aged fine. Great promotion saved us a lot of $ on this stay. Yes the bus station is across street but so is the light rail which is a great way to get around the city.

Room Tip: Ask to be on other side from freeway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Misscue08,

Detroit, MI.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

In town for business meeting. Hotel was in definite need of upgrades. Room and hall carpet was stained and dirty. Beds were comfortable but furniture was worn. Staff and meeting rooms and food were okay. There are many better hotels in area.

1 Thank KevinZ
Mark W, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

North Richland Hills, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I just stayed here last week. Hotel looks good on the outside, but is in a rundown part of the city near a freeway and ballpark....across from a bus station...need I say more? Then coming into lobby, looks nice. The night I checked in, one clerk on duty, 6 patrons in line. I asked where other clerks were, 'At lunch', really?? Then I go up to room, it looks good, very spacious, however it stunk like moldy stale cigarette smoke despite being 'Non-smoking'. The carpet also needed a good vacuum, as I could feel trash on my bare feet. Then I went down to bar for a late salad and glass of wine. I sat at a high top, just a few feet from bar. The waitress then proceeded to avoid me for 20 minutes: no menu, no greeting, nothing. Service was just non existant despite a quiet night. Finally out of desperation, I begged a menu from the bar tender. A lady at an adjoining table had to do the same. What horrible service!! The next morning, I met the boss in their café for breakfast at 7 am....we ordered off the menu....took a good 40 minutes for food to arrive....my sausage and eggs were cold, and his omelet was floating in grease, and he refused it.....Overall, this hotel is just a building, as the service and maintenance are absolutely minimal...........

Room Tip: Stay on the interior of the hallway....facing courtyard.
Green Features: why do I care if you can't offer me a good room with good service???
1 Thank Texan127
Dear Texan127,

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton City Center about 8 or 9 years ago, and back then it was one of the nicest hotels in the city. When I returned this week for 2 nights on business, it was very clear that the hotel has not been updated at all since then.

The furniture was old, torn and patched up, overall not in good shape. Carpet in the rooms and hallways were worn with stains all over. Even things such as lamps and phones were very old and dusty. Both mornings of my stay I found hair in the shower that was not mine. Staff seemed friendly enough, but the issues here seem to come from a management level. Also, they charge for wi-fi in the rooms, which in this day and age seems odd, especially for SPG members. We ate at the hotel bar, and the restaurant, both were just ok, with service a little slow.

Just a very disappointing stay. Hotel seems to have great potential, and is in a good location, but has clearly been neglected over the years.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has windows facing outside, some rooms face an indoor courtyard, making the rooms...
Dear JP1975,

Please accept my sincere apology for the slow service that you experienced. This is certainly not the Sheraton experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you. Our goal is to provide our guests with a welcoming, home-away-from-home, and to hear that we did not properly carry out this promise is very disappointing. Please know that this is not a typical service of our hotel.

Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Room
I forget what type of suite we had, but I know we were on club level. My first problem with the room was that they don't tell you that one of the two beds in the suite is a couchbed. I didn't have a problem sleeping on one, but it'd be nice if I were warned before I expect two queens and I get a couchbed instead. Other than that, the room was off to a nice start, from the bathroom with a separate mirror on the outside, to the mini fridge next to the closet space that is offered with possible dry cleaning services available, (extra cost on each item varying cost depending on the item). The TV turns on and has a DVD station, but no apparent DVD player. Which still confuses me, but whatever. Basic television channels. Wifi is kinda laggy. When opening up the curtains, you are granted with the view of the balcony, seeing rooms across from you on your level, a level below, and a few levels above if you crane your neck. You also get to see people stumble in and out of their rooms and in and out of the elevator, and whether you like it or not, you get to make awkward eye contact with other guests at the hotel. This wasn't to bad for me, but it made me think about windows that from the inside you can see the outside, but from the outside you can't see inside, and you only see your reflection. I know installing those windows may cost loads, but it might be worth it.
Club Lounge
The club suite guests can access this wonderful room at anytime of day for access to the fridge and snacks laying out for no extra charge, a bonus for being a club suite guest. Each morning, the club guest can have access to one hot plate(waffles, stuff like that)and enjoy their meals in couches, armchairs, and tables, blah blah blah. After that there are snacks, small yet well chosen assortment of tea, and coffee machines available anytime of day. Club lounge room 897. Breakfast starts I think at 6:00 a.m. ish, and ends around 10:00 a.m. ish (when they put away the hot dishes, the snacks are still open throughout the day.). This room helped me and my friends get through the day without getting too hungry.
Pool and Jacuzzi
The pool is cool. Goes up to about 5.5 ft., give or take. The jacuzzi is relaxing. Goes up to about 3.5 ft. Yup. Go up to the thirteenth floor.
Transportation
The Sheraton is located right next to the Metro, and sightseeing places are easily accessible through this mode of transportation. The Trolley is also an option to get you to and fro. You could also walk, tourist attractions aren't that far away from the Sheraton fortunately. It's best to take the metro.
Overall
The room had no major issues, the club lounge and pool area are two places to chill, and the Sheraton is placed right across from the metro. I had lower expectations because of the other reviews on here, and it's not even that bad, just a few instances to crinkle your eyebrows at. Good stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends