“Close to Scottrade Center”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #90 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Close to Scottrade Center”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We spent 2 nights here to attend a concert at the Scottrade Center. It is just about 1 block away, so the location was handy for that purpose. When we arrived we missed the entrance the first time, it was not signed very well. After we went around a few blocks we drove right in and were faced with self parking for 17 bucks per night or 23 for valet. Valet was easiest at the time, so we splurged.

At check in, they did not have a king bed room available at 5pm. We were "upgraded" to a suite. Basically a room with a partial wall dividing the bedroom from the sofa and chair sitting area. There was a large wall of windows behind the sofa, but the curtains did a great job of blocking the light. Overall the room seemed tired and ready for a redo, but given the rate we paid, ($100, booked on Starwood) can't really complain. There were 2 "old" tvs and a mini-fridge which came in handy. A decent sized closet but a light inside the closet would have been nice. In general the room was dark, one bedside lamp did not work and the vanity light was not very bright.

The king bed and pillows were very comfortable and the bedding was nice and appeared clean. Minimal, but nice toiletries. There was a card on the bed for a "green" option. If you hung it on the door before 2am they would skip cleaning your room for 1 day and you would get a $5 card to use in the hotel. We hung the card and it was never taken, no $5 card was ever offered and I don't believe that housekeeping came anywhere near our room. By doing this we ran out of in room coffee. At checkout however, we did receive 500 points on our Starwood account.

The only outlet we used was the bar for a quick drink after the concert. We were happy they were open so late on a Sunday night. They got busy in a hurry but service was fast and friendly and not overly priced for a downtown hotel.

On check out we called for the car. When we got to the drive a valet came up to us and said they did not have a valet on duty that day that could drive a standard transmission car. So I stayed with the luggage and my husband went with the valet to retrieve our car. They were obviously embarrassed by this, and they should be.

They did not seem to have a concierge available which wasn't too big a deal as we are familiar with the city some. Had a great dinner one night at LoRusso's on the hill. Always go there and always enjoy it. They are well reviewed here on Tripadvisor.

If we were to return to St Louis for another concert at the Scottrade Center I would certainly consider staying here if the price is right.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clkc86
rkravitzgm, general manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
I appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you found value in booking on line as you did. I am disappointed that some of your experience was not up to standard. Please understand that these items such as housekeeping and valet have been addressed. We hope that you will join us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We stayed for 4 nights & got a great rate through hotwire.com for $79pn, otherwise I think the standard price would be overpriced for the area & lack of restaurant choices & the location wasn't that close to downtown.
The room was very nice, spacious with a king size bed, with a couch & chair plus a small refigerator.
The hotel is right next to the Metrolink, Bus terminal, Amtrak & Greyhound bus center. In the Amtrak terminal there is also a small KFC & Pizza Hut Express & small cafe opened from 7am - 8pm when we were there in Sept. Excellent if you want a quick bite & don't want to walk too far. If you're catching a ball game it's a great location and a short walk, plus it's across the street from Scottrade Center.The internet was not free. We also noticed, the room service trays sat in the halls for nearly all day/night. We found 2 GREAT places downtown- BREAKFAST- Chili Mac's
LUNCH/DINNER - Caleco's Italian bar & Grill (101N Bradway) EXCELLENT we ate there twice! We also went on the Dinner Cruise down near the Arch, expensive & you need to book, but great size meals & the night was perfect for Sept.
If you want to be close to Busch Stadium, its great, but if you want to be closer to downtown, maybe this hotel is not for you. Can get abit noisy if there's a game on, but that's to be expected.

2 Thank AussiesfromSydney
I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious rooms. We look forward to having you back when you are downtown for a Cardinal game.

St.louis@sheraton.com
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. This time around carpets were stained, dirty bed comforter, very dated TV's, no hot water one morning, meager club room selections.
Great location ...but they could do a lot better

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Maple Grove MN
Reviewed 13 October 2009

The room was very nice, spacious really. There was a couch and chair, two tvs, ironing board, plenty of room for clothes, etc. Two queen size beds, wonderfully comfortable mattresses, pillows and down like comforters.
The vanity is outside of the toilet area which is also seperate from the whirlpool tub and shower. The room has a small refigerator. The in room coffe was also really good coffee, with liquid creamers.
The hotel is right next to the Metrolink which takes you around town and to the airport.
The hotel food was good, but pretty expensive. Brunch as 15.95 and "just ok" in my opinion.
Hotel staff were helpful too! They told us what was close for entertainment and dining.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Cincinnati
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Great woman valet, very helpful front desk, good resturant with a very friendly staff and THE BEST MATTRESS AND PILLOWS I have ever had in a hotel.

Springfield, MO
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I chose to stay in this hotel one weekend due to how close it was to the Cardinals Stadium. I parked in valet parking and handed over my keys. The next morning I went to pickup my vehicle only to discover that the valet had handed over my car keys to a thief that had walked up and claimed to have my car. They did not verify he had a room or was the owner of the car. I then had to ask for a rental car to get home only to discover it had not been paid for as promised and I had to pay out of pocket. I am now out my time, money and belongings dealing with their negligence. I was told by my insurance company that they have had cars stolen from the Sheraton before.

1 Thank asaner
bloomington, il
Reviewed 11 September 2009

My wife and i took a relaxing "get out of town for the long weekend"trip. The Sheraton is a nice little spot away away from a lot of hustle and bustle, even though a bus hub is across the street. The rooms are a good size, but many of the regular rooms face to an atrium, not the outside, so at times that can be bothersome, but nothing that cant be overlooked. The water pressure in the shower was something out of a driving rain storm and was refreshing, although i am sure some would have a problem with it. The staff was friendly and answered many of the questions with courtesy.
The restaurant was very limited in the choice for breakfast and dinner. We ate there as we had certificates that we purchased online. If not for those we would not have eaten at the restaurant, as it was very expensive for the selection that is offered.
One of the best parts is the 13th floor where the pool/weight room is located. The views are amazing and the pool is very good sized. They also have a open air balcony where you can sit and relax. My wife and I used that area to drink some cofee and read the morning paper, that was very nice to do.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
rkravitzgm, General Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding The Sheraton St Louis. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please keep in mind for your future visits that your breakfast options are not limited to The Bistro 14. We also have our Starbucks/giftshop with grab and go items.
I will share your kind words with all of my assocaites.
RKravitz