“I have stayed in better hotels!”

St. Louis City Center Hotel
Ranked #92 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I purchased my tickets on hotwire but when I got to the hotel I was told that I could upgrade for $10 more a night. The upgrade was for a bigger room and a view outside. I was informed by the hotel that since we bought the tickets thru hotwire we get an indoor view. The room is not the cleanest. There was toe nail clippings in the floor, hair in the bathroom, and hair in the bed. The pull out bed was so uncomfortable. You could feel the bars and springs. The housekeeping was not friendly. They didn't speak english so they didn't understand you and you couldn't understand them. You also have to pay to make local phone calls ($1.50 per call up to 30 min.). The food in the hotel was very high. $16.00 for cereal plus another $3.00 if you want it brought up to your room. Also, the pool is only open from 5pm-9pm. The hot tub had foam so big that nobody could use it. The hotel said they would fix it but never did. You also have to pay for parking. Self parking is $17 a night. They do have a Fitness Center but you have to be 18 or older to use it. Overall I have stayed in better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BDMSAllison
rkravitzgm, General Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping department to insure that this does not happen agian. We understand that you had high expectations prior to your arrival that we failed to meet. I apologize for the short comings during your stay and hope that you will give us another try soon. I assure you a much more relaxing experience next time.

Rkravitz
general manager

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed at the hotel with a booking via Hotwire. We could not have been happier with every aspect of the stay. The staff was incredible. They were always very courteous, helpful and pleasant. Often employees would stop to talk to our 4 year old about what we had done that day and what we were planning to do. My wife forgot some grooming items and went to purchase replacements in the gift shop and the hotel employee advised her there be no charge for the items and was very, very nice to her about it. Our room was huge and had a mini fridge/microwave that made the mornings easy and a large open area for our son to play/wind down in the evening. Also our king was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on and I travel a great deal for work.
The location across the street from the Metrolink made getting around the downtown area very easy as well.
The hotel is a restored older building and very neat looking. It was very easy to spot when on the way back from the zoo, Grant's Farm, Six Flags etc.
The large pool on the top story was great on our one day of rainy weather. Even though we booked with Hotwire we'll likely just make sure to book directly with the hotel for our next trip to St. Louis as we'll want to make sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
rkravitzgm, General Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your Sheraton St. Louis experience. It is great to hear that you had a relaxing time while you were here. I will share your thoughts with the whole operations team. We look forward to your return visit.

Rkravitz

Reviewed 10 June 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Sheraton Center City last weekend. I will try to be objective for the next traveler as my experience will be different based on my needs. I was in town for an appointment at the Federal Building. For me this hotel was perfect since the Federal Building is right next door. In fact, the location of this Sheraton is why I liked it so much. It is across the street from the Metro. Instead of a $40 dollar cab ride from the airport you can jump on the Red line for $3.75.

If you are seeing a Blues game at the Scott Trade Center then this hotel could not be any more convienient- it is across the street as well. Busch Stadium is about five blocks away. In fact, I arrived on a game day and the hotel was full of Cardinal fans in for the weekend.

That being said some may not find the hotel centrally located. Although it's just a few blocks from downtown st. Louis it is in an area that's off the beaten track a little. I didn't want to walk around at night alone. It may be perfectly safe but the streets were deserted around dusk.

The staff was very friendly. I ate at the hotel and the food was good. There was a nice bar-restaurant on the premises. I didn't go to the fitness or pool but I saw many families going to the pool and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

The rooms are a bit dated but clean. I had a one bedroom suite. It was very sizable. I felt comfortable. It was a true suite. The living room was separated from the bedroom by a hallway. I was very satisfied.

The hotel has a late checkout. They are very reasonable in their policy.

My only complaint is with the business center. I don't take my laptop on trips and I rely on the business center. The hotel only has two computers available and asks a hefty charge for use. Printing is extra as well. In fact one computer was down the time I was there.

All in all I certainly would certainly recommend this hotel. I paid $148 per night. I thought it was a little steep for St. Louis but considering the last minute reservation and the great location for me- it was well worth the price. I saw that one reviewer got a price of $50 a night. That was probably the best deal in St. Louis. I would come back again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We were in St. Louis over Memorial Day weekend for a concert at the Scottrade Center. We got this hotel on Priceline for $50 per night and it was the best $100 I have spent on travel in a very long time.

It all started at the front desk with Matt (sorry I don't remember his last name). Matt is an amazing employee! He asked the right questions and treated us very well from the start as well as all the other employees we encountered. We did have to switch rooms because our sink broke but the move was fast and smooth (we even got on free night of parking.)

The hotel is located one block from the Scottrade Center. So this is the perfect place to stay if you have an event there. You will have to pay for parking $17 per night for self parking. There are not a lot of restaurants super close to the hotel but they are not that far of a walk.

Great hotel and looking forward to staying here the next time I am in St. Louis in July.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

I appreciate how you took time out of your busy day to share your thoughts about the hotel. I am glad that you had great encounters with the team members here at the Sheraton St. Louis. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

RKravitz

Reviewed 4 June 2010

Good location if you want to be near the train station, 15 minute walk to the center of town (Cardinals Stadium, Arch). Train to airport. But the hotel is nothing special. I encountered several problems with the staff: the receptionist was not helpful at all.
Room seems a bit dated and not clean, old furniture.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
rkravitzgm, General Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2010

I am sorry to hear that you had problems during your stay with us. I will definately share your thoughts with the operations team so that we can improve. The instances that you speak to are not regular occurances. I do hope that you will give us another try sometime soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 4 June 2010

I had reserved my room online. I had requested 2 queen beds, since it was my husband, 2 kids and me. When we arrived I asked if they received my request for the 2 beds and they said yes but they were out of that room. He offered me a suite at the same price. I really appreciated this and will remember it next time I book for STL.
Great pool also, it was busy but with it being so large didn't feel full.
Thanks again for working with me!!
Only complaint is there are no microwaves in the room. I am on a Dr regulated diet and required to eat the programs meals. I was unable to warm up my food, unless I wanted to pay $20 to rent one over night. I wish they had a public one in the lobby or one I could use without the additional cost. We ended up having to use Panera or the gas stations.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your Sheraton St. Louis experience. I am disappointed that we did not offer another option to assit you with your speacial dietary needs. I will definately address this item.
We hope to see you again soon. Once again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

This hotel was perfectly located for my activities, though now that I have some better ideas of the layout of STL, I would look elsewhere for a place to stay, as the nightly price is high for what you get. Don't get me wrong, the place is great, but I can get the same cushy atmosphere for 1/2 the cost within a close proximity.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo

I appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your encounters with the team members here at the hotel. I am sorry that you did not find value for the rate that you paid. Please be sure to stay in touch with us so that you are aware of specials that we offer during certain seasons.

We hope to see you back soon.