“Air Force travel”
Review of Hotel Avyan

Hotel Avyan
Ranked #96 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was driving cross country with my son who was going to his new Air Force base in Utah. This was one of the stops on the way there, it was in what seemed to be a good location, price was average and service was good. I really have not stayed in a bad Holiday Inn Express so far, but im sure their is one out there i just have not been to one yet.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a good place to stay and not far from downtown. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. We opted to park our car and take a taxi to Union Station...then set out on foot. The staff at this property was very courteous.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim N
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The hotel is in an area that is in transition. Lot's of boarded up or abandoned buildings in the area, It is very convenient to I-44 though. You probably don't want to stay here without a vehicle. There is a McDonalds within walking distance, but not much else.
Standard HIE; nothing exceptional in terms of accommodations or personnel.

Room Tip: Since it's bordered on all sides by fairly busy streets, probably the best rooms face to the Wes...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2012

my husband and i recently spent three nights at the holiday inn express st. louis. the room was a nice size with king size bed + a sitting chair with ottoman. the bath was also large with nice towels and toiletries added. it was very pleasant. cable tv; nice breakfast with hot food; a paper at the door each morning. the front desk were helpful and kind at our requests. definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This property is conveniently located near the 44 freeway...easy access to everywhere.

The only thing that I want to mention is their shameful posting that they be rated 'EXCELLENT' in the survey that guests receive. Large framed signs by the elevators that basically say anything other than an excellent score is failing. 'Please let us know what we can do to make your stay EXCELLENT.'

just seems strange....so if you want''excellent'' from me: Hire a friendlier breakfast worker---you know,,,one that says ''good morning'', rotates the milk properly, has butter available for the biscuits, etc. Oh, and the front desk clerk in the morning NEVER looked up from what she was reading (or doing) to say ''Have a great day'' to departing guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The cleaning people seem to be doing a great job. The service was great. Employees went out of their way to help us. The rooms were large and comfortable. The rooms were very clean. We rented three rooms

However, I think management is missing details. The card reader for the back door was broken with no sign/alert. Another visitor used a rock to hold the door open. A ceiling was leaking on the first floor. We had large holes in the wall (from an old picture?) and the bath drain seemed to be snapped off (???). I thought the bath was dirty, but it was actually clean -- just a couple stains. I didn't like breakfast (no meat), and the apple juice spout delivered water. I only provide the complaints as a directon for improvement. The hotel doesn't need much for me to change to a 5 star.

The details mentioned here are only minor, and would not affect my decision to stay here again. The hotel worked out great for our group. I liked the clean and roomy rooms.

Room Tip: Consider breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here one night, after flying all day from Great Britain. Having lived in England, we know about bad customer service. But after we checked out after our one-night stay, the staff went ahead and checked my parents out, too (although they had a confirmed booking). And when I thought I had left something quite valuable behind in my room (my engagement ring) I called and left voice mail messages FOR THREE DAYS and never received a response from the manager about whether it had been found. The desk staff were not able to tell me whether the ring had been located, and were not capable of ringing me through to the manager's voice mail. One desk clerk did not know the manager's extension number, and told me she was not able to give me the manager's email address. I would never recommend that anyone stay here. I like to support businesses trying to make it in a scrappy neighborhood, but this one is not trying at all. It's a terrible hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else entirely!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Strovis,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry for the unacceptable service you received. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.
Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Zelyn N