“Good Place”

Ranked #88 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
San Francisco, California
“Good Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The staff here was really nice and welcoming. We had been traveling through on our way to New Jersey for kind of a cross-country trip. Our kids were very restless from being on the road for so long, so they definitely needed the pool. We stayed at a Holiday Inn previously on our trip, and we loved it, so that is what brought us to this location. I think the consistency in amenities of Holiday Inn Express brand is what I love. The location of this particular hotel was pretty good, and fairly easy to find. However, I wish I would have requested a top floor room, as the people above us were pretty noisy. That is something that is beyond anyone's control, though. My family and I are planning on staying again on our way back home. I read a review about a vehicle getting broken in to, but we didn't have any issues.

Room Tip: Request top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baltimore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I always book a Holiday Inn Express whenever I can for the reliable brand amenities including complimentary hot breakfasts, free wifi, free fitness room and printer access. This particular HIE is in a very convenient location off Rt 44, out of the downtown area but easy to access most any StL attraction by car, bus or bike. The best things about this place are the wonderful people running the front desk, and in particular the breakfast room. The worst things were the signs of lackadaisical management - the printer out of toner for the entire 3 days I was there (despite assurances that the manager had been informed, and with no sign put up to warn you before you wasted time on the computer), the downstairs mens room out of order for the entire 3 days, the kitchen running out of coffee cream, and shower/tub fixtures starting to fall apart. None of these things was a huge issue by itself, but overall I had the sense of being in a cheaper crappier hotel than a Holiday Inn Express, even though this one did seem to have been recently built or renovated. I might stay here again anyway, but I'd look around a bit first.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erxraydoc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear erxraydoc,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is nice to know that you found our location convenient and your check-in experience was commendable. I regret the issues you encountered with the facilities and amenities. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve our efforts.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Pam G
Brimfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We recently stayed here because we were going to a hockey game and it is very close to downtown St. Louis. April, at the front was extremely friendly and efficient. We were checked in within minutes and in our room which was very spacious and very comfortable. Cab ride to downtown was around 10 bucks and the hotel gives three different cab companies to call when you check in. The bathroom was one of the bigger bathrooms we have had at any hotel and had marble countertops. The entire hotel was very clean, and they offer a very nice breakfast

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jamerican1999
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

HIX will not place my review on their website. We stayed in this hotel and had our car broken into, along with approximately 16 other cars in one night. The location is not in a safe area. Little did we know this had happened earlier in the week (found that out from the news people that spent the entire next morning broadcasting from the hotel). It had also happened earlier in the year.

I feel HIX should at least consider the safety of their guests and employees. They gave me the runaround when I tried to work with them. The owners won't respond and HIX Corporate tells me there is nothing they can do. This is unsafe. They could hire off duty officers or install a gate. The side door doesn't even work with your card!

In my opinion HIX is not worried enough about your safety or the safety of your vehicle to spend a little extra.

The room....nice beds, clean. However, handle fell off of door, hair dryer did not work, shower curtain kept falling apart, room smelled and felt damp, fold out was not even sleepable for a child.

They do not care. Got our money and now want us to go away!

Avoid this place!!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BigFamTravel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear BigFamTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera P
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel a couple years ago and returned for a return visit for a baseball game.
The hotel is easy to find, clean and comfortable. Since I was going to the game, I caught the bus, just a cross the street and transferred to the train which stopped right outside the stadium. It is also close to the attractions, although the neighborhood is a little sketchy, I had no problems being female and traveling alone.
The front desk was helpful, since I showed up before checking in time, they held my luggage when I went to the game. The room was clean and comfortable, quiet. Typical HI breakfast, which isn't anything to brag about, but it was good and plenty to eat.
I would stay again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Anijo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Nice rooms and we got a decent price and worked well for being close to arch. Liked free parking. 3star, so no complimentary breakfast. Water from shower was a bit more than dripping...Pretty disappointed. Else it was ok for a night. Got the room on top floor in one corner.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SSV L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Avyan, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear SSV L,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Your comments about the bathroom conditions have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Janice A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Family of 4. Our experience was a good one. The room was clean. We used the do not disturb sign & had no issue with them coming into our room unexpectedly. Internet worked fine. You do have to call the front desk for the password daily because they change it. Our kids lost money in the snack machine & the front desk gave the kids snacks. The kids were very happy. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was really good.

• Stayed July 2013