“Worst Hotel Experience Ever”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #108 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed for a week in May of this year for a conference held on location. I travel 25-30% of the year for my job and have stayed in many hotels throughout the nation. I had the cleaning staff steal new clothing and personal effects from my room. This was reported to security and management and they were not concerned at all. I asked for progress the following day from the management team and they knew nothing of it. My issues were insignificant enough that they were not even communicated. I had to ask that the cleaning staff not enter my room until I left. I expected more from the Crowne Plaza than the ghetto thievery that took place and the complacency that followed. I have stayed in motels with a more honest staff. This was the first time in a decade of professional and personal travel that this has happened. Beware. The rooms were dated as well.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, your belongings are not safe with these bottom feeders.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank eric b
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

I am truly sorry to hear of the concerns you had during your recent stay. If this has not been resolved, please contact me directly at 314-436-8055.
Crowne Plaza St Louis Downtown

Write a ReviewReviews (1,651)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is average. Not like some of the Crown Plaza hotels I've been at. If you can get the room rate at a decent price it is O.K. The best thing about it is its within walking distance of most of the downtown activities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim D

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at our property. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were very surprised by how run down the parking garage was. Didn't seem like a safe place to keep the car overnight. We purchased our stay through Groupon and I explained that when we went to check-in. The man at the front desk simply said " We don't take Groupons. My manager came and told me today that we don't accept them". It took a lot of probing on my part to have him confirm that the room was already paid for. He seemed annoyed. I guess it was a purchase through the Groupon website but was not actually a Groupon. Still, his attitude was unprofessional. The room was fine. The bed was comfortable and our view was great. The bathroom was a little outdated but was it was fine. Overall it was an alright place to stay for one night. You can't beat the location! Walking distace from lots of downtown attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah H

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting the city of St Louis. I am sorry for the confusion with the payment on your reservation at check in and for the way our team responded to your issue.
I do hope you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel was old, and definitely needs to be remodeled. The elevator doors get stuck, and a co-passenger had to manually push the door to shut. The air conditioner in my room was very old, and didn't cool. This hotel is a good location if walking to Cardinal's games, or Ram's games. I think this hotel has great possibilities if it was updated. I didn't see a complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: I would ask for rooms facing the Arch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our property. Our guest's safety is our priority for our entire team. Thank you for letting us know of the issues you experienced with our elevator system so that we can have them addresses immediately.
I am glad you found our location to be convenient to St Louis sporting events and hope you consider staying with us again.
Samantha VanDeMark -Hotel Manager

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good location. Rooms needed updated. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The location is very convenient. Close to stadium and Arch. The AC didn't cool the room as well as we would have liked it to. Mattress on sofa bed needs replaced.

Room Tip: AC didn't work very good and the fold out sofa bed was very uncomfortable. It needed a new mattr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your detailed comments regarding your guestroom at our hotel. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to correct our deficiencies.
We are thrilled you enjoyed your interactions with our team and look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited on Father's Day, arriving to a full lobby. We parked across the street at another parking garage (City Park) for higher required clearance (7' here), so I can't comment on the parking situation that others have complained about. Check in was quick, but when we got to our room the keys didn't work. It took two trips to the desk and eventually maintenance and security had to come to the room to fix the lock. The room was clean and comfortable. I was on alert for anything less than clean from some of the previous reviews, but wasn't able to find anything that bothered me on the cleanliness. There was a place on the bathroom door from where someone had busted it and a leg of the desk was weak, but we brought that to security's attention while they were fixing the lock.

As other reviewers have noted, the bathrooms are small. I found it to be clean, though, if not large enough to change your mind in. Standard tub/shower combination with a nice shower head and the curved rod. This is an older building, but they've done well at making use of the space, which I appreciate. There were only two bath towels in the bathroom, but as soon as we called for additional towels, they responded to our room within 10 minutes.

The sofa bed needed linens, but they were brought with the towels. I expect that they reduce the laundry loads and ensure fresh linens on the sofa bed by only providing them when needed. Not a problem since they responded so quickly.

Latonya at the front desk was exceptional, learning my name after the second trip down. The following morning I realized that I had goofed on our reservation. Despite having only five rooms left in the hotel, she managed to find a room to accommodate our family of 6 into another room. The new room required a rollaway bed be delivered and it was there within minutes of the new room being assigned.

The second room was an ADA room that had just had the bathroom converted. The bathroom was huge.

The rooftop pool was nice and was consistent with other hotel pools - no diving boards, etc. There was an observation deck as well that was nice, but the area around that could have been cleaned up a bit on the roof.

As I stated earlier, this is an older building so don't expect brand new and shiny. We stayed here when this was a Radisson about 10 years ago and it was shabby and dirty. It's clean now and looked great to us. We would certainly stay here again if in downtown St. Louis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side of the hotel if you want to see the arch and Busch Stadium. Rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CampinFamily

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback on your recent stay. We appreciate you kind words about our team and are glad you found your accommodations to be clean and comfortable.
We look forward to seeing you on your return trip to St Louis.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

i guess people had different experience with the customer service, but my experience was great especially with the manager Sam. He was extremely understanding and time-concious as well. I didn't get a chance to eat here but the bartenders were nice too. I was here on the day of the game so i guess the hotel was full but for some reason i didn't feel it too much.

Room Tip: high floor corner king room with a view has an excellent view of the arch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words about our team. I am sure they enjoyed your company as well.