“St. Louis Gem”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #111 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is a must for romantic people on business trips. That didn't come out right, but when you think of the location, the convenience and the price, nothing comes close in downtown St. Louis. First of all, before you arrive, request (no guarantee's) a room overlooking the "Arch". It's a must. With that view you get the Mississippi River and the best Sunrises and Moonrises on this planet. I happened to really luck out by getting a higher floor and open up the curtains each night before I go to bed to just soak in the sight of one of the wonders of this modern age. You're right downtown close to Laclede's Landing, an area on the river with restaurants that stay open late and have only the highest quality of regionally prepared foods. You're close to Bush Stadium for Cardinal Games, Calico's Restaurant for French Fried Ravioli and St. Louis Style Pizza and LATE HOURS for those of you, like me, return home late from work each evening. The front desk staff (in particular Vernon) took the time to get me my room quickly, even though the hotel was sold out the night before. Sign up for the Hotel Guest Rewards program and get used to the Midwest Hospitality that St. Louis is known for. Very well run and efficient staff. Hat's off to the Management. OK, I have to say this; The hotel is maybe a little less modern than the Hyatt or the Marriott right next door, but, the view and the courteous staff more than make up for the 80's-90's decor. Oh, did I mention the price? Half the price of the competition. Spend the savings on the sights. Good Bang for the Buck. No complaints here. Book in advance otherwise this best kept secret might get out.

Room Tip: request a river view/Arch view room. Worth the trip.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed three nights at this hotel in the past few weeks. The first time was a one night stay that didn't go so well and had some room issues. The second stay was this past week. The second stay was absolutely wonderful and left me believing that it was just a freak occurrence my first stay. I will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future and am so glad that I took the chance in trying a new hotel when I come to downtown St. Louis! The front desk was absolutely friendly and very accommodating. As for the rooms, my first stay I stayed on the 6th and 8th floors and noticed that the room seemed rather dated. Though, the second stay on the 28th floor in room 2803 was absolutely fantastic and definitely up to date. I absolutely loved the balcony and being able to sit out and look at the Arch and city skyline! I can't wait to visit the friendly staff at the hotel and cozy up on the balcony!

Room Tip: Request a high level floor corner room with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pritchett92
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this hotel for it's central location--which allowed us to leave our car in the garage for the entire trip! We were a short walk away from the Gateway Arch, Busch Stadium, and many great restaurants! However, it also offered us a terrific view from our rooms, the rooftop pool, and the outdoor rooftop lounge. I can't imagine even considering another choice for a trip to St. Louis.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Every year I take grandkids on road trip and we stop at The Arch in St Louis. The Plaza always provides great service and location to Arch. Only thing I wished they had was hair dryers. Roof top pool is fun.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times. We have stayed in suite 1401 3 times now. The first time in this suite was about two years ago. Then I cleaned one small spot on the window sill. I cleaned the spot to show my wife how dirty it was. This past Sunday we checked into the same suite for a two night stay. That same shiny spot was there surrounded by the dirty area. The toilet was still leaking in the same spot. Housekeeping came and serviced our room and said "we are finished." Yet they left all the dirty towels in the hallway of the suite.

This hotel used to be super friendly when you checked in but my last two stays have resulted in a very unpleasant experience at check in. This stay I called to request early check in and was told that suite 1401 was ready and the agent blocked me into that suite and told me to come on and check in. Excellent service spot on. I arrived and told the agent my name and advised that I was checking in. He said "no rooms are available now." I advised him that I was preblocked into suite 1401. Then he checked me in. He made no mention of my IHG Gold Elite Meeting planner status. I had to ask him if the evening reception was held on Sunday. He had no clue.

He never thanked me for choosing the Crowne Plaza or anything. That evening I went to the lobby bar for a beer. No one was at the bar. I waited for almost 15 minutes and a blond woman walks up and said "I did not know anyone was here." Yes you would have noticed that I was here and that 2 other people came to the bar and actually left due to no one being present to serve them.

I do not think that she is a hotel employee but the young woman who works the parking garage booth in the mornings who wears the latex gloves should be fired. She is so very rude to hotel guests.

I actually used to love to stay at this property however this IHG Gold Meeting planner will be be returning to The Crowne Plaza St. Louis Downtown.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Keith H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear houstonguy2010,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold member and for taking the time to review our hotel. It is truly regrettable that your recent stay fell below your expectations. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information as we would like to follow up on your experience.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Well I seriously seriously don't know where to start , and In fact I hate to use this site to vent so please don't take it that way but please completely read this before booking or EVEN CONSIDERING THIS PROPERTY !
1. Ok so start off our lovely visit for pride weekend at the CROWN PLAZA DOWN TOWN STL, CHECK IN AT ANY IHG PROPERTY ITS STANDARD 3 pm ... So as we waited 25 mins in line to get checked we get get to the counter and were greeted by a girl in training , very nice polite girl ! We were told we had to take a smoking room because availibty and employee rate plan ! Hmmm what a good start ! After compromising we received a single queen non smoking, we were not told about any amenities or even givin wifi access code !
2. After arriving to the room , the room had a bad odor to it ! And the aircondiotner was unable to be regulated !! We called the front desk and was replied " we can some one look at it "" haha the Maintance never showed up , ok no worries we understand things happen !
3. So we leave for pride festival that evening to have to exit the lobby to a bunch of thugs and gang bangers hanging out side of the hotel , after bringing to the front desk attention that it pry was inappropriate that they hang around like that using the profanity they were , we were told , " well they are paying guest at this hotel !" So we shrug it off as we wouldn't I counter them again for the evening !
4. The next morning we go to depart from the hotel and notice our car had been "hit and run in a marked parking space !!!! Brand new 2014 car !! So that really set us off the handle ! After we called to the front desk , the man was very rude and un informative and non caring that our car had been hit !! Stating well "u know we are not responsible for the parking garage " so I finally located the janitor in the parking garage and he phone the security !! After security gaurd arrives to the location of the vehical he performs a report . He then called the STL police to have a officer come fill out a police report ! Waited 71 minutes in that dark dingy parking garage ! Police still never arrived and the security gaurd said it was against there policy to give out the report !! Long story short this hotel is pry the WORST OPTION IN STL ! Consider a holiday inn if your in the area and are and elite member of ihg rewards !! I will post the pictures of the security cameras in the parking garage that were cut and dangling from the ceiling ! Lol worst part security knew about this !! To me this is REAL REAL REAL REAL SERIOUS INSURANCE LIABLITY !! Please consider this post before booking at this property that is poorly managed and up kept with very unprofessional thug staff!

Room Tip: PLEASE PLEASE VALET PARK CAR ! Very very horrible area and parking garage
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Robert O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Warm Regards,

Charisse V
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We had 5 rooms + a conference room booked for a church youth trip.. June 3rd -5th... Check in was slow but was a cardinals home game day...the other thing that I didn't love was that 3 of our rooms were on one floor.. One a floor down and other one two floors up.. Had to ask for more towels every day..the sofa beds in the suites were said to not be most comfortable..

Super close to arch and cards game... We walked to both along with walked to spaghetti factory.. the girls went to get nails done and I think he was a valet (Victor) was exceptionally helpful.. He took us to the nail salon and had us call when ready to come back...rooms were huge and ours was clean..

Conference room was nice and roomy and served it's purpose.. They did clean out and throw away some if our food we were keeping till second morning but guess I should have taken back to my room...I do agree with another reviewer.. Stairs to pool were a bit creepy but just don't go alone and the view is amazing !!

We go on a fun trip every year and if we go back to St. Louis we will stay at crowne plaza again...our youth group thought it was really expensive and amazing... I guess just depends on people and what they are used to who write reveiws... My complaints were nothing that would keep me from returning to crowne plaza downtown..

Oh and we were on the 16th, 21st and 22nd floor.. North side ( no view of arch ) but was concerned about air conditioning and not being cool enough.. Was told north side no sun comes in and so those rooms are cooler...

• Stayed: June 2014
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to St Louis. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's location, it's team and your guestroom accommodations. We are most pleased that you will return when in the area. Thank you.
Samantha VanDeMark - Hotel Manager