The Hotel Majestic St. Louis
US$160
US$144
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$112
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvalet parkingolder hotelbit datedroom was largecity museumdowntown hotelbaseball gamegateway archmini fridgeconvention centerbed was very comfortableomnilouisstdeskshuttleconference
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Before staying here, you should know that the Omni Majestic is an old hotel; more than 100 years old, in fact. And, like in most old hotels, some of the furniture and fittings are a bit worn, and it isn't flashy. Personally, I love the old oak and marble, the high ceilings, and the charming ambience. The Omni Majestic has a great location, and you can easily walk to almost any of the downtown attractions St. Louis has to offer. It is only two blocks from the Metro stop at 8th & Pine, so you can take that for more distant excursions. The only problem I encountered here was that when I checked in I was given Room 903. When I got off the elevator, I couldn't find it. There was a sign with an arrow pointing to 901 - 905, but it pointed to a blank wall. After a few minutes of wandering around, I encountered a couple looking for 901. We flagged down a hotel employee who told us we were in the Majestic Suites. There is an unmarked door (not in the direction the sign was pointing) with a tiny sign over it that says "Majestic Suites," but with no room numbers. It was locked, but the employee went downstairs and returned with the key and let us in. Behind the door was another corridor.

My room was very nice and immaculately clean. The bathroom was large, and had gold-plated plumbing fixtures. The gold-plating was worn through in several places, but this didn't bother me. As others have noted, the TV was small, but it worked perfectly. The bed was very comfortable. There was no mini-bar, microwave or refrigerator. Again, this didn't matter to me in the slightest, but I mention it for the benefit of those who might expect such amenities. One of the nice things about this hotel is that it has a shuttle that will take you anywhere you want to go within the immediate area; I took it to the Lumiere Casino and the driver was very nice, and even offered to come back and pick me up later if I wanted.

There is a very nice restaurant and bar just off the lobby. I didn't eat there, but did have a glass of wine at the bar. The price was quite reasonable, especially to someone used to Chicago tariffs.

I wouldn't describe the Omni Majestic as a luxury hotel, but it is a more than adequate hotel, and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay here, and in view of the very modest rate I paid, I'd consider it a real bargain! Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank daver852
Reviewed 5 March 2014

After 2 weeks of this place I will not be back. From start to finish this hotel dropped the ball, repeatedly. As others have said this hotel is not Omni quality and should not be part of the brand.

I stayed here for 2 weeks with a group, which submitted a rooming list many weeks ahead of time. The hotel was required to have around 15 early-arrival rooms ready at 10am by contract. We were to arrive at 11:30am but because of air travel delays we finally arrived at 2:30pm to find that many of the rooms that were supposed to be ready at 10am were still not. After working 30 straight hours and with a very clear contract and rooming list provided in advance, this is inexcusable. The hotel had pre-keyed a bunch of the later arriving rooms, and none of the geniuses at the desk could figure out how to re-assign the rooms to those of us desperate for an hour or two of sleep before having to go back to work.

I have Black Status with Omni, having staying nearly 50 nights in their hotels last year. I indicated my GHA number ahead of time, as the only amenity I care about is the free double upgrade. Not only was I not upgraded, my number had never been entered into the system. Other members of my group at random were awarded the suites and I was stuck in a tiny, noisy corner room which had no sunlight except through the bathroom window. Horrible trying to wake up in the morning.

Hot and cold water were reversed on the shower dial in my room. Why? (more on the hot water in a minute)

Arrived late Thursday evening to find the parking lot full- seems the hotel was over-selling parking despite knowing they had a group with 20+ cars in an extremely tiny lot. Got up to my room to find both of my keys stopped working. Got the "maybe it was near your cell phone" speech instead of "I'm sorry". This happened again the following Thursday- seems no one here knows how to program the keys to work for the entire stay.

At the beginning of the second week with no explanation, apology or acknowledgement of any kind the second of two elevators stopped working, doubling the wait time to get to and from the room. No sign the hotel cared this might be an issue and as of check-out it was still not working.

There was no hot water in my room the first Sunday morning I was here, and in several other rooms as well. We were told this was some mechanical issue and there would be some compensation for the trouble, but what I got was an apology note under the door- which at least is something. The hot water was also very limited the following (final) weekend.

Why does breakfast end at 9am? Why is anything a la carte so expensive?

This place is not a "luxury, boutique" hotel, it is a tired, old building that needs a complete overhaul. This staff was clueless and bumbling and the hotel can not handle groups. I am still awaiting GHA credit for these nights which means they still didn't have my reward number in the system.

There are too many other options in downtown St. Louis, and I will not be back here ever again. If this is what Omni stands for, I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Hotel Majestic St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. We did have issues when your group arrived, but the issue was resolved within minutes. As far as room assignments are concerned, we have two room type upgrades at the hotel, with three suites available. Two of the three were pre-assigned on the rooming list, leaving only one suite available at check-in. We are sorry if it was assigned to another guest, but the room upgrade for Black Level Select Guest members is based on availability. We are more than happy to accommodate a room change if the room was not clean or had other issues. You are correct that we should have apologized for the key situation instead of asking if it was near your cell phone or another device that could have wiped it, as it’s already annoying enough in the first place to have your key not working. The hot water was fixed in less than a few hours after the issue was discovered. Unfortunately Midwest winters can be brutal, and this one has been worse on our plumbing system than in years past. We apologize to all our guests staying during that time that had to deal with the water issue. Our second elevator did have mechanical issues, but we escorted our guests to the service elevator to limit the wait time. Our breakfast buffet does end at 9 am, but guests are welcome to order off the menu until 10 am when we close to setup for lunch. We apologize if we didn’t communicate these issues to you better when they occurred. We do appreciate your loyalty in the past. We know you are not planning on returning, but some of these incidents were beyond our control and we worked diligently to fix the issues as quick as possible.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We have stayed at the Omni Majestic previously. Very nice hotel, small with nice amenities and good service. Enjoyed one of the romance packages. Nice to be greeted by chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries!

2  Thank Tammie09
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Convenient location, excellent shuttle service by hotel staff, the suite was pretty spacious and quiet, good bedding. It's an older hotel and don't choose it for the view, but the conveniences far outweigh that. Friendliest staff I've ever met. No problems at all. Sign up for the Select program and get some great perks.

2  Thank Yvonne H
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Hotel Majestic St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thanks for the great feedback. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that we provided some of the friendliest service you’ve experienced. We hope to see you back again next time you’re in St. Louis.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Taking in a weekend in town with two Blues games on the agenda. The Hotel is in a perfect location for all around town. The shuttle takes you anywhere in town within a three mile radius. Hotel is clean, staff is excellent. Staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Food is good at the Grille. A bit pricy for the breakfast buffet though. Will stay at this hotel for sure next time in town.

2  Thank David L

We’re glad we could be your home away from home during your weekend checking out the Blues. Thanks for taking the time to post a review and let us know how we’re doing. We look forward to seeing you next time you’re in town.