“Superb Choice”

Ranked #11 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Dallas, Texas
“Superb Choice”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three nights this past weekend. The rooms, while a tad smaller than the average rooms I've had elsewhere, are extremely well laid out, functional, and clean. Mine even had a recliner in it (in lieu of the typical couch/static chair). I personally prefer firm mattresses...this one was not, but it is a typical hotel type. The TV had a full selection of channels. My check-in went very smoothly, and the desk employee was very friendly. The breakfast buffet (included) was decent, although not spectacular. Seating was ample. As for the free afternoon food and beverages, the line for the free alcohol tended to be long, and the food was satisfactory considering it’s free. The hot dogs were somewhat awkward in color, and I suspect they are not all beef. But for what I paid for it, it was still a bonus.

As for the fitness room, it was adequate. The cardio machines were in good condition, as were the limited weight machines (3). There was a chlorine odor due to the proximity to the pool. Workout towels were available, and the temperature was a tad higher than it should be in a workout room.

I would strongly suggest that those on a budget consider parking at the Mansion House garage which is less than 2 blocks from the hotel. Parking per 24 hours was $8 midweek and $3 over the weekend, with no in/out privileges. Cash only. A great deal.

My only real concern relating to my stay was housekeeping. As I indicated, my room was initially very clean. The first night, I left the do not disturb sign on my door until 12:15pm. When I left the room at that time, I saw housekeeping working on a nearby room. We said hello. I returned to my room at 6:30pm and the room wasn't cleaned and I had a phone message from housekeeping indicating I had a do not disturb sign on my door (which I removed when I left at 12:15). I called and they sent someone up later that night, but they only did a light cleaning, supplied towels, and made the bed. The next day a similar thing happened. I removed the DND sign at about 10:30am, and waited around until 12:40, hoping they would come...they didn’t. I then had to leave, so I went to a housekeeping manager on the floor and asked that my room be cleaned during the next hour+ that I'd be gone. She immediately sent someone over, but I was concerned the same thing that had happened the day before was going to happen again had I not specifically asked for housekeeping to tend to my room. When I returned about 90 minutes later, the room was made up. But about an hour after that, an employee of the hotel opened my door without even knocking once. I don't believe he was housekeeping, and I don't know what he was coming to the room for. When I confronted him in the entryway of the room , he suggested he was told the room was empty. Even so, I don't know why he wouldn't have knocked just to be safe. And I don’t know why he was coming to the room in the first place. But clearly it was a potential red flag.

All told, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and would stay again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank KatzNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at the hotel May 16 & 17th to see a play at the Fox Theater. We arrived a lot earlier than planned (we forgot about the time change and didn't encounter any traffic). So we showed up in town at 9 am looking pretty rough and wanting to freshen up before we went anywhere. They let us check in early! Amazing. I somewhat expect to be allowed an early check in at around 2 or so but 9 am is very early indeed. Our room was great. We had a partial view of the arch (not requested but cool) and plenty of space. The beds were comfy as well!

I made use of the fitness center and it was good except a lot of people had just thrown their towels about. The prime time was good we just had drinks and my martini was SALTY. Couldn't drink it. But hey it was a free drink. My mother enjoyed her drink although I don't recall what it was. We didnt eat any of the snacks since we had reservations for dinner.

Coming back to the Drury it was hard to find a parking spot! The garage is a very old style garage and the spaces a tiny. Don't bring your hummer ;) It was frustrating seeing some people double parked and I hope they did charge them double as the sign indicated they would. The parking is the only downside of this hotel.

Our last day we had breakfast in the lobby. The best hotel breakfast I have ever seen. Most hotel breakfasts consist of a bagel and a piece of fruit. This one had fresh hot scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage patties, and pancakes. and they were all GREAT. After breakfast we strolled over to the arch and enjoyed that before walking back and leaving. Check out was hassle free.

One more thing, everything in the hotel is accessed with a key card. You will need this to get into the parking lot, use the elevators, use the steps, everything! Great for those concerned with security.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Erin J
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The Drury Plaza Inn at the Arch is a great location, within a block of the Arch and Busch stadium. Great value with the 5:30 Kickback, and full breakfast buffet.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFun7
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 April 2011

When I first booked this, I somehow missed that Drury is a mid to lower end chain (I usually travel for business in nicer hotels), so I was a bit disappointed when I realized this. Boy, did my mind quickly change. The service was absolutely impeccable from the time we checked in until the time we left. I hate paying for "extras", and I was pleasantly surprised with all the "extras" perks (except for parking). Happy Hour food was nothing to boast... nachos, popcorn, hot dogs, but for the price we paid, I'll take it! Breakfast offerings were better. Location was great if you want to see the Arch, but to go to bars or really anything else, it was a bit out of the way. Though it may not have been in the best part of town, we definitely felt safe with the card key elevators and double entrance doors. Aside from location, this was one of the best values I've had for my money!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank distractinwanderlust
Atchison, Kansas
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The hotel was clean and staff was friendly. However, part of the reason we chose the hotel was for the 5:30p kickback (which was the free evening meal). There was a lot of food, however it all really sucked. The breakfast was really good though. The room was okay. Only one of the hotubs worked and the pool was small.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Thank you for being our guest and your review of our hotel! It is through input such as yours that we have the opportunity to review and improve our products and services.

We want to exceed our guests' expectation in every instance. At any time that you find something is not exactly as you expected, please contact one of our guest service agents or a manager immediately. We are often able to correct a situation while you are still our guest, allowing you to go home with a great memory. While we do not expect our guests to do our jobs, a timely head's up is appreciated.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again soon to Drury Plaza Hotel - Downtown St. Louis!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 9 April 2011

We had a GREAT stay at the Drury Plaza. The staff was friendly. The room was comfortable and clean. The location of the hotel can't be beat. We woke up every morning to seeing the sunrise on the Arch - breathtaking! The breakfast buffet was really good. The dinner buffet was decent, but after staying for several days - we had to go out to eat (but that's not a complaint - just our need for variety). The pool and hot tub were a nice way to wind down after a long day. I used their parking garage, which at $15 a night was a little costly. However - it was worth it, in my opinion. I liked knowing that my car was secure and I didn't have to guess about where I was going to park at the end of the day. We did use the trolley system for our downtown excursions. That was great!!! It picked us up a block away from the hotel and took us to the key locaions - such as the City Museum. At a cost of $2 for adults and $1 for kids for an all day pass, I thought the trolley was a HUGE bonus. (you do need exact change, though)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ControlledChaos
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My husband took me to St. Louis to celebrate my birthday. Our stay at the Drury Plaza was phenomenal! The staff was awesome and the facilities were amazing. My husband and I traveled with our 5 year old granddaughter and she loved the hotel. She is a very picky eater yet found nothing to complain of regrading the breakfast selection or evening appetizers. The pool was over-chlorinated, but I felt it was done in preparation for the large amount of guests that may be using the pool...there were 3 conventions in town the weekend we visited (March 25, 26 and 27) and I believe the hotel was filled to capacity.

Most important to me is cleanliness and the hotel was spotless...especially our room and the bathroom!!

My husband was impressed with the security of the hotel...many areas were accessible only with our room key card, from the parking garage to the lobby elevators. Another plus was the heated parking garage...a bonus with the 4" of snow that arrived! The front desk staff provided us with printed directions for the area attractions and were helpful with their suggestions. Housekeeping did a wonderful job as well. They left a voice mail message for us, double checking that we didn't need anything since we had left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door.

Each staff member we encountered greeted us with a "good morning (afternoon or evening" and a smile. We were asked if we slept well and how our stay was and even asked if there was anything we needed.

We were thoroughly pleased with the Drury Plaza and will stay there again during our future trips to St. Louis.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family